Need some advice from more skilled players

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
I need a little help. I have a Steepleton oversized 8 foot table. The table is very nice and heavy with 1 slate. I need new rails and cloth. Im just wondering if I should spend the money and get that stuff done, which would cost me around 750 bucks, or try to invest in a barbox. I don't have room for a 9 footer but I have a friend that plays strong and he tells me that an 8 footer or oversized 8 is obsolete and useless to practice on because the angles are so much different.

Does that hold water or is it just a bunch of bulls*&$ to get me not to practice as much so I don't get any better

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
Pocket angles can be changed when you have the cloth replaced.

Not really pocket angles but the angles of shots and things is what he says is different. He says learning on this size table won't translate to a 9 footer or barbox

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really pocket angles but the angles of shots and things is what he says is different. He says learning on this size table won't translate to a 9 footer or barbox

if the dimensions are the same ratio as all other tables (7, 8, 9, 10ftrs) ( 2w = 1L) there should be no issue.

my question is does the avatar girl live anywhere near Somerset? :speechless:

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
if the dimensions are the same ratio as all other tables (7, 8, 9, 10ftrs) ( 2w = 1L) there should be no issue.

my question is does the avatar girl live anywhere near Somerset? :speechless:

Hahaha. I wish. I'm not sure about the ratio. I'm going to go measure that now

bountybuddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
New bar boxes are 7'. Older bar boxes are 6'. I haven't seen many new bar boxes around but have played on a few and I liked them. There is a huge jump from a 6' table to a 9' table. A little bit less from 7' to 9' but still a big jump. I play my best pool on a 6' bar box. It's just easier to make balls. When I was younger I would practice on snooker tables so it was easier for me to play on 9' or 10' tables. I still play golf on a snooker table with a few friends and it's great fun. We can play for hours and don't lose much money. If you want to continue to get better playing pool it would be a very big mistake for you to go from your 8' table to a bar box, 6' or 7'. For a small investment you can make your 8' table like new and a pleasure to play on. If you go to a pool hall or league play the transition from your 8' table to a 9' table is small and you will still be able to play well on a 9' table. In my humble opinion I would fix up your 8' table. You'll be glad you did. Shoot well my friend.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
an oversize 8'...

Hahaha. I wish. I'm not sure about the ratio. I'm going to go measure that now

An oversize 8 foot is basically an 8.5 x 4.25. It will translate to a ninefooter better than a barbox or an 8' will.

In the room where I learned how to play we ended up getting a couple of 8' oversized and they played fine. better than an 8' or a barbox.

The angles of shots don't ever change. I've never seen a table that wasn't a 2-1 ratio.

Jaden

warfdiesel

Getting Better
Silver Member
An oversize 8 foot is basically an 8.5 x 4.25. It will translate to a ninefooter better than a barbox or an 8' will.

In the room where I learned how to play we ended up getting a couple of 8' oversized and they played fine. better than an 8' or a barbox.

The angles of shots don't ever change. I've never seen a table that wasn't a 2-1 ratio.

Jaden

Cool. If anyone would now it's you. I noticed you have been all over the place playing. Thanks for the advice

9ball_in_MN

speed kills
Silver Member
I play on a 8 and have no problem with a 9 and every regulation pool table is a 1 by 2 ratio or its a shit walmart table get yours recovered if its 1 inch slate its worth it

nb92

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... I've never seen a table that wasn't a 2-1 ratio.

Jaden

or 1 with TEN pockets :eek: but you got to be careful when answering questions on the interweb these days :thumbup:

zpic.jpg

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I had a Brunswick oversized 8' for years and unless all you do is play on barboxes I wouldn't get rid of it. BTW ... that is one nice bootie!!! :p

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Oh, P.S. --- I just saw the title of your thread about seeking advice from more skilled players so I'm not sure I should have responded. Still loved my oversized eight and am now down to a regular eight due to space considerations in a move to a new house. I know, I know ... how could I have bought a house that would not accommodate a nine??? :(

The Warden made me do it! The love of a good woman makes for some sacrifices. ;)

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends, do you LIKE playing on a barbox? To me it would be like going from tennis to badminton.