Dale Perry Sp is Worth?

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Rackforcash said:
Wow......i would like to see you turn a square round,if you think it is that easy...........building cues,making cues is like any other job some are just good and some are great and some suck at what they do,but to just go out and buy a CNC Mill and bam you are a cue maker.............Yeah sure....making cue is not hard.................selling them is,when people think like this.Also it not Talent to sharpen points it is money,are you going to pay the guy that sharpen the points.........most don't, just ask the Filipino,it just goes to show you that most cues are bought on looks not how they play.

one of the "points" that's a misconception here is, if i understand what you're saying, is that to make traditional "sharp" points does not necessarily cost more money but just takes a different approach on making the prong. you can build a short splice in a similar time frame that it takes to make an inlaid one. what differentiates them is making the spliced fronts as close to perfect (using a mass of knowledge and skill to not only make the tips match around the cue but the inner veneers match as well). that's one part of the craft that can separate the the great makers from the rest. also the height of the points within the base wood and the gap between the points at the wrap are other important factors imo which determine the desirability and can raise prices. desirable aesthetics are very important imo.

cuedoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Rackforcash said:
Wow......i would like to see you turn a square round,if you think it is that easy...........building cues,making cues is like any other job some are just good and some are great and some suck at what they do,but to just go out and buy a CNC Mill and bam you are a cue maker.............Yeah sure....making cue is not hard.................selling them is,when people think like this.Also it not Talent to sharpen points it is money,are you going to pay the guy that sharpen the points.........most don't, just ask the Filipino,it just goes to show you that most cues are bought on looks not how they play.

I pay what ever it cost to buy a cue with sharp points and inlays,thats what I perfer.And after 10 years of collecting and buying cues 99% of the time my investment in a traditional non cnc type cue has been a solid investment and gotten more than what I paid. This was advice given to me at the very begining of my passion for cues and I'm very glad I listened. And playability is the most important part when buying a cue,I dont buy cues to sit under glass or hang on the wall pal,take alook in the gallery section of the white I just purchased.Anyone who knows cue knows mottey/white cues are right there as far as playability. Searing,gina,and showman are some of my others. You can quote all the knoledge of cue building all you want,it dont mean crap or sell cues. I had a call just last week from a collector from NY named jeremy and he has spent over 100,000 bucks on cues the last 24 months and his one comment that stood out was he will never buy another cnc cue again because they all are hard to sell and lost 40% on the ones that he could sell.He was new to collecting and really didnt know much about cues then but he has learned the hard way. But like I mentioned,Ginacue is one of my favorites and he's cnc . Filipino cues,well,they look nice on ebay but are worthless!
LOL

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
cuedoctor said:
I pay what ever it cost to buy a cue with sharp points and inlays,thats what I perfer.And after 10 years of collecting and buying cues 99% of the time my investment in a traditional non cnc type cue has been a solid investment and gotten more than what I paid. This was advice given to me at the very begining of my passion for cues and I'm very glad I listened. And playability is the most important part when buying a cue,I dont buy cues to sit under glass or hang on the wall pal,take alook in the gallery section of the white I just purchased.Anyone who knows cue knows mottey/white cues are right there as far as playability. Searing,gina,and showman are some of my others. You can quote all the knoledge of cue building all you want,it dont mean crap or sell cues. I had a call just last week from a collector from NY named jeremy and he has spent over 100,000 bucks on cues the last 24 months and his one comment that stood out was he will never buy another cnc cue again because they all are hard to sell and lost 40% on the ones that he could sell.He was new to collecting and really didnt know much about cues then but he has learned the hard way. But like I mentioned,Ginacue is one of my favorites and he's cnc . Filipino cues,well,they look nice on ebay but are worthless!
LOL

something you have to remember is if you're buying cues as an investment your knowledge of "why" a specific cue may be collectible is paramount. too many have no clue on what to buy beyond the obvious ones, and those aren't readily available. you can have all the money in the world and it won't help you determine which pieces to acquire. your friend probably made his mistake twofold. one on the type "CNC" cues he purchased coupled with when he decided to sell them. except from a very few makers, not all cues from all makers are as desirable at all times as some of their other work so the timing of their sale is very important. the market for most well done work will be there at times and not at others. my point is the blanket exclusion of these from his collector "portfolio", though his choice, imo is the same as not having a well managed retirement account and that's not a smart investor at work.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Rackforcash said:
No Skins i was not talking about V points,i was talking about cnc, when someone sharpen's them,by hand and also use a razor to cut the pockets sharp...........takes lots of time plus if u make a mistakes well there goes the cue...............

fair enough but then again you're not going to be trying to do that to my type design work and therein lies the issue that i'm talking about. sure you can hand finish simple shapes like diamonds and such that's not that big a deal. take a look at some of the work Keith and I put out for instance. to make all the "end" no radius would mean days of hand finishing that could be suicide to attempt including the many more opportunities to, in your thought, make that illustrious mistake and ruin the cue. he'd have to ask 10 time the cost and there would just about no way of getting it perfect. no market will bare that and it's not necessary to do things that way. to throw another wrench into the mix, some shapes just look better with a radius, my work especially. the more you work with certain design elements the more you realize this. not everything looks the best sharp. i'll also add with the right spindle and material you can use cutters down to around 2 thousandths to finish of the pockets, cut the parts without a radius and it will be almost indistinguishable for most work even with a 10x loop. it's not the fact of cnc or not or hand finishing or not, it's what's being done to the piece in it's totality that determines it's colleability and future value. my point has always been some have different opinions on what cues they like but there is nothing wrong with making them either way.

Bamacues

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
928   0   0
Back to the question,,,

Personally, I like most hand done inlays, and I like a lot of CNC work, as long as the edges are not too rounded, or the cue is not too busy.

As for the value of a Dale Perry sneaky, his conversion sneakies sold for $210-225 and his "Speedster" sneakies, which were made from blanks and generally had more work in them, like rings at the butt, stainless joint, etc, went for $325-400 when I was a dealer for his cues a couple of years ago, but then he started selling his 4 point fancy cues on Ebay for $250-350, so the value of his sneakies went way down, along with the "$1500-1700" cues sold previous to that time.

He does make a decent playing cue, and they are good values, especially when you consider the price that they go for on Ebay and the secondary market, however, I would not want to use any as investment grade cues....at one time several years ago, I thought they were one of the best investment grade cues, so that just goes to show what I know.
Joe

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
hangemhigh said:
'"too many have no clue"

You have talked yourself right into your own description

explain how i've done this.....oh that's right you can't because you're one of those in "...". :rolleyes:

Skins----- can back it up.

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
DP Cues are Crap !!!

As many of you already know, I was thoroughly screwed by Dale Perry on a Cue I purchased from him directly last year ... I never hit a ball with the cue, just stashed it away in my climate controlled Safe ... and three months later, I took it out to show a friend and was in for a Shock ... There were several areas on the Butt Sleeve and Forearm where the Finish had developed air bubbles under the finish (the finish was perfectly smooth to the touch, but the air bubbles were there, just the same) ... I immediately contacted Dale by email and attached good scans of the affected areas ... He responded by stating that "you must have banged the cue against the table several times, causing cracks in the finish" . "I am not responsible for damage due to abuse, but I will refinish the cue for $100 + shipping both ways." Needless to say, I was infuriated by his response ... Absolutely NO Customer Service from this "so-called" Cuemaker ... I finally sold the cue at a considerable loss, as I could no longer stand to look at it, let alone play with it ... BEWARE of this guy, he cranks out so many cues at a time, he must be using Illegal Aliens for cheap labor ... Just remember, every time you visit the restroom, you are depositing a "1 of 1", just like what you can expect from Dale Perry ...

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Str8PoolPlayer said:
As many of you already know, I was thoroughly screwed by Dale Perry on a Cue I purchased from him directly last year ... I never hit a ball with the cue, just stashed it away in my climate controlled Safe ... and three months later, I took it out to show a friend and was in for a Shock ... There were several areas on the Butt Sleeve and Forearm where the Finish had developed air bubbles under the finish (the finish was perfectly smooth to the touch, but the air bubbles were there, just the same) ... I immediately contacted Dale by email and attached good scans of the affected areas ... He responded by stating that "you must have banged the cue against the table several times, causing cracks in the finish" . "I am not responsible for damage due to abuse, but I will refinish the cue for $100 + shipping both ways." Needless to say, I was infuriated by his response ... Absolutely NO Customer Service from this "so-called" Cuemaker ... I finally sold the cue at a considerable loss, as I could no longer stand to look at it, let alone play with it ... BEWARE of this guy, he cranks out so many cues at a time, he must be using Illegal Aliens for cheap labor ... Just remember, every time you visit the restroom, you are depositing a "1 of 1", just like what you can expect from Dale Perry ...

In your opinion how much is the sneaky pete (1 of 12) which is the topic of this thread worth?:confused:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Rackforcash said:
What i was responding to was, i hate CNC,You say you are a collector,so you probably have many cues that have had some CNC work in them,so you surly don't really hate CNC,when you say things like that, people think that CNC is bad,and that Hurts cue makers, all of them,some cue maker are trying to make a living at building cues and they use all equipment they can afford or that will help to build a cue,CNC is actually high end work,and in the right hands makes a great looking cues.Hey, how many cues have you bought from DP.........well only DP knows hows many cues people buy from him,and maybe it was not a enough for him to make a living.........bottom line we all have to stay a live.Even Dale Perry.... No Lecture..........just facts..... DP is not flooding the market. Take a better look

DP is not flooding the market. Take a better look

Well, I am certain their are allot of people who would like to unload the DP cues they have, so I suspect that this makes it a buyers market!!!!! How many would you like?????????? I am certain that if you start a post here on this forum you can buy all the DP cues you want, and at a very good discount considering the original price paid for them.

Dude if I were you, I would pull my pants legs up to my knees, because if ask for them they will come!!!!!!!!:eek: :D

Last edited:

Str8PoolPlayer

“1966 500 SuperFast”
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Value of DP Sneaky Pete would be in the 125 - 175 range IF it is in pristine condition ... No Dings, Dents, Scuffs, Scratches, etc .... AND a Clean Shaft with NO Blueing ...
The current market for used DP cues is in the toilet ...

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Str8PoolPlayer said:
Value of DP Sneaky Pete would be in the 125 - 175 range IF it is in pristine condition ... No Dings, Dents, Scuffs, Scratches, etc .... AND a Clean Shaft with NO Blueing ...
The current market for used DP cues is in the toilet ...

we think alike

SphinxnihpS

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Computer Numeric Control

You can use a all the tools used to make pool cues with a CNC control setup or without, the bits that cut the wood are all the same. You can make sharp points with CNC, and rounded one without it. Please stop equating CNC with rounded corners, that's just not the way it is. Poor Skins...:D

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
SphinxnihpS said:
Computer Numeric Control

You can use a all the tools used to make pool cues with a CNC control setup or without, the bits that cut the wood are all the same. You can make sharp points with CNC, and rounded one without it. Please stop equating CNC with rounded corners, that's just not the way it is. Poor Skins...:D

it's great someone understands but don't have pitty, i don't need it. it's kinda fun listening to those who "have no clue". i need a good laugh every once and a while.