SBE 2015 How Not To Treat A Player

TeeA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After last year's event I posted my negative, but justified, response to how my situation was badly handled. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=356349&page=2 Some folks who responded missed the essence of what occurred.

Last year I signed up for three events and TAP. I was well aware that if I started going deep on Saturday choices would have to be made BY ME. The year before I had to forfeit my senior round to continue on in the super seniors. Both matches to get in the final eight at the same time. I didn't like it, but I made a choice.

That didn't happen last year. I had a conflict w/senior/super matches and was told by officials, "we are aware your table is hours behind because of a prior lady's match on your table and WE WILL ACCOMMODATE YOU." "Go to your table and wait for your opponent.". I did as instructed and when I brought up my scoresheet was told I forfeited my senior money round while I was playing a second round super match. I WAS NOT GIVEN THE CHOICE. that's the rub.

I asked for an explanation from the scorers who couldn't look me in the eye. "See Allen.". I did. By the time we approached the scoring table, he forgot what he was there for and I was totally ignored. No explanation, no refund, no apology.

So its 2015 and I'm sent an application like everything is good. SBE has no problem taking multiple event entries and I have experienced the conflict choices that can occur if I choose to enter more than one event. Let's face it, its a long way to travel and expensive just to enter one event. Would venture to say most players who can enter more than one event.

So instead of my usual check being enclosed with my app, here is my message to Allen and company.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,178
Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way you wrote that email will get you no reaction but ignored. Allen has a million things going on in those 4 days. You had all year to call him... Which is pretty easy to do.. And discuss the issue but you didn't. The above email the way it was written is a waste of time and I'm sure will be ignored. I'm not saying your complaint isn't valid.. I'm just saying that the above email is not the way to handle it.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Tom,

Really sorry to read your note to Allen. I'll miss you as you are great competition. It is really too bad that Allen and his staff don't realize more and more competitors are coming from further and further away from his home base near Philly. Most are like you and me and play in multiple events. We need to play in those events to have a chance to make expenses. Conflicts are going to occur. Rules written twenty years ago may not still be valid in todays climate.

A re-think should be on their agenda. As the match schedules are usually posted before the start of the event, each entrant should be given an opportunity to withdraw if the conflict occurs on their FIRST scheduled match in the next division. After that, at least we were given an opportunity to at least play. May not be a cure all. My feeling is at least it's an attempt not a screw you.

Hope to see you at APA Regionals next month.

Lyn

Last edited:

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
If I understand you post correctly both matches were at the same time. If the SS match was hours behind you should not have been sent to the table and wait. In my opinion you could have started the match and if your SS match was called then you have the choice of what to do.