Can Other Tables Play Great? Besides BW's Diamonds?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
Keep this in mind: Perfection is relative.

It's a pool table: a piece of equipment used for recreation... How good does it really need to be? If the balls actually rebound off the cushions, and don't hop, you're half-way there. Anything more is just an added bonus.

Without regard to cost, let's throw out some crazy ideas, some even from this thread-- Let's say that we are going to build the most baddass table that anyone has ever seen, using the following:

• 10" granite surface plate playing surface
  • Welded steel frame
  • Machined solid steel rails, with k55 cushions
  • Cloth mechanically stretched, to get the most uniform installation possible
  • All mating parts to be doweled and bolted
  • Installed on a 6' thick pad of concrete
  • Temperature will be a constant 72 degrees, with relative humidity of 50%
  • All machined surfaces will have a 32ra surface finish
  • All dimensional tolerances will be +/- .002", (because we don't care about cost)

In theory, all aspects of this table will be absolutely perfect.

Now, here is the bigger question: Even with all of these ridiculous proposals, would anyone shy of an 'A' player really appreciate the differences?

In fact, I would be willing to bet that even professional players would not care to play on a table like this, because it just simply is not what they are used to.

The point is: get a table, play on it, enjoy it, and get used to it. Having a 'perfect' table does nothing more for anyone than simply stroke their ego. Really, it's better to have some variability. It will help you to adapt, when you play on less than 'perfect' conditions.

Having said all of that, there should be some standard to which we all desire for our tables. I think that should be the bigger matter to address. No one wants a poor playing table. Though, you shouldn't have to spend a small fortune to have a table of reasonable expectation.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I ASKED about solid aluminum rails to a carom mechanic in europe thats highly regarded, he said solid aluminum rails would make the the angles play much shorter

so even if money werent an issue id still make solid wood rails
where you gonna staple the cloth to with solid metal? :cool:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
again i ask

what makes a good playing table?

is this a subjective more than actual, its this and nothing else?
id think so

other than pockets not rattleing, cloth put on right
level,

what are good playing characteristics to players?
all rubber is at all stages of useage, yrs used, so they dont ALL player the same and never will

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Properly set up rails made out of quality lumber, proper shelf depth, and solid heavy foundation for the slate. If you have a ball sitting on the lip of a pocket anyone can give the table a good bump with their thigh and get the ball to drop, that doesnt work on Diamonds and GC's . That kind of solid. And a great table mechanic.

Last edited:

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems to me to be very well spoken indeed:

Keep this in mind: Perfection is relative.

It's a pool table: a piece of equipment used for recreation... How good does it really need to be? If the balls actually rebound off the cushions, and don't hop, you're half-way there. Anything more is just an added bonus.

Without regard to cost, let's throw out some crazy ideas, some even from this thread-- Let's say that we are going to build the most baddass table that anyone has ever seen, using the following:

• 10" granite surface plate playing surface
  • Welded steel frame
  • Machined solid steel rails, with k55 cushions
  • Cloth mechanically stretched, to get the most uniform installation possible
  • All mating parts to be doweled and bolted
  • Installed on a 6' thick pad of concrete
  • Temperature will be a constant 72 degrees, with relative humidity of 50%
  • All machined surfaces will have a 32ra surface finish
  • All dimensional tolerances will be +/- .002", (because we don't care about cost)

In theory, all aspects of this table will be absolutely perfect.

Now, here is the bigger question: Even with all of these ridiculous proposals, would anyone shy of an 'A' player really appreciate the differences?

In fact, I would be willing to bet that even professional players would not care to play on a table like this, because it just simply is not what they are used to.

The point is: get a table, play on it, enjoy it, and get used to it. Having a 'perfect' table does nothing more for anyone than simply stroke their ego. Really, it's better to have some variability. It will help you to adapt, when you play on less than 'perfect' conditions.

Having said all of that, there should be some standard to which we all desire for our tables. I think that should be the bigger matter to address. No one wants a poor playing table. Though, you shouldn't have to spend a small fortune to have a table of reasonable expectation.

As is this:

Properly set up rails made out of quality lumber, proper shelf depth, and solid heavy foundation for the slate. If you have a ball sitting on the lip of a pocket anyone can give the table a good bump with their thigh and get the ball to drop, that doesnt work on Diamonds and GC's . That kind of solid. And a great table mechanic.

Although it bothers me to some extent (my mind tends to prefer uniformity and predictability) I'm coming to the realization the bradsh98's observation is correct. At this juncture there no single standard for pool tables. And like major league ballparks and golf courses, there probably never will be. It's just the nature of things.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I ASKED about solid aluminum rails to a carom mechanic in europe thats highly regarded, he said solid aluminum rails would make the the angles play much shorter

so even if money werent an issue id still make solid wood rails
where you gonna staple the cloth to with solid metal? :cool:
I agree! Kim steel tables banked funny and used steel frames and rails

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cuephoric

1hole anyone?
Silver Member
No mention of the Connelly ultimate? Rails aren't as heavy and solid as a GC,Gabriel's, or diamond, but- it's a different look, heavier/thicker slate, heavier/ more solid frame than the vast majority of tables made, solid wood, so any further changes of playability are options. Still fits original post requirements. You don't see them for sale alot on the secondary market though...