Ideal pocket size for home table

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From all I can read here it looks like a reasonable goal for pocket size on a home table is around 4.5" for the corners and 5" for the sides. First off, is this generalization accurate and if not would someone please educate me a bit as to correct dimensions?

Secondly, if one is looking at a table to consider purchasing for his home and the pockets are larger than this, how much can the pockets be shimmed without having to extend the subrails? And would shimming even work in the first place? Something tells me it won't be that easy...

Along the same lines, what is considered an acceptable pocket facing angle for a good playing home table?

I just thought these things would be pretty easy to check before jumping blindly into a table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
From all I can read here it looks like a reasonable goal for pocket size on a home table is around 4.5" for the corners and 5" for the sides. First off, is this generalization accurate and if not would someone please educate me a bit as to correct dimensions?

Secondly, if one is looking at a table to consider purchasing for his home and the pockets are larger than this, how much can the pockets be shimmed without having to extend the subrails? And would shimming even work in the first place? Something tells me it won't be that easy...

Along the same lines, what is considered an acceptable pocket facing angle for a good playing home table?

I just thought these things would be pretty easy to check before jumping blindly into a table.

So many variables, unless you're looking to buy a specific pool table.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

All of these things have been debated many times here, if you search this forum you will find at least a full days reading to do on these subjects.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

My question is this, and everyone else can pay attention too....what makes you feel you ha e a choice in pocket sizes....is it offered on the order sheet?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Every pool table distribution center gets the tables shipped in kits, then they load them up and deliver them to the customers. At what point in time to any of you think a pool table retail store is going to size pockets to someone's order? Diamond is the ONLY table manufacture that I know of that will even consider pocket dementions other than their STANDARD 4 1/2" corners and 5" sides. Almost every pool table built today using the #6 pocket irons with a leather drop pocket has the same throat opening and the same turned out pocket miter angles to set their pocket opening. They don't extend the sub rails, but you might get them to double up the facings if you pay them enough....but then without correcting the pocket miter angles....the pockets with play like shit and reject almost everything.....so all you giving advice a out pocket sizes need to learn thats not happening!

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question is this, and everyone else can pay attention too....what makes you feel you ha e a choice in pocket sizes....is it offered on the order sheet?

No, not at all.

But I would assume that the pocket size varies from one manufacturer and model to the next, so that would be a factor in a purchase decision.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No, not at all.

But I would assume that the pocket size varies from one manufacturer and model to the next, so that would be a factor in a purchase decision.

In shopping around looking at new tables you're going to find out that most sales personal are not going to be able to give you to much in the way of specifics when asking questions,like miter angles and down angles or facing material for that matter, they're sales people. Most all pool tables have 5" or bigger corner pockets and bigger side pockets if the table has 6 rails and not solid side rails, in which case most will have shallow side pockets. Just about any new table you buy is going to lose 50% of its value the same day you buy it if you buy it new, keep that in mind too.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
In shopping around looking at new tables you're going to find out that most sales personal are not going to be able to give you to much in the way of specifics when asking questions,like miter angles and down angles or facing material for that matter, they're sales people. Most all pool tables have 5" or bigger corner pockets and bigger side pockets if the table has 6 rails and not solid side rails, in which case most will have shallow side pockets. Just about any new table you buy is going to lose 50% of its value the same day you buy it if you buy it new, keep that in mind too.

I sent that quote to my son in St. Louis. I'm trying to talk him into letting me find a used table for him that will play well AND be fun for his kids and friends. After they leave the nest (6-10 years as the triplets are 12 now) RKC can drop by and make it a championship table (if he doesn't retire). Meanwhile, my son pays a fair price for a used table and it retains most of it's value. Smart?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
No, not at all.

As RKC said in his previous post.
"Almost every pool table built today using the #6 pocket irons with a leather drop pocket has the same throat opening and the same turned out pocket miter angles to set their pocket opening. They don't extend the sub rails, but you might get them to double up the facings if you pay them enough....but then without correcting the pocket miter angles."
You would to start by looking at tables that did not use drop pockets.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I sent that quote to my son in St. Louis. I'm trying to talk him into letting me find a used table for him that will play well AND be fun for his kids and friends. After they leave the nest (6-10 years as the triplets are 12 now) RKC can drop by and make it a championship table (if he doesn't retire). Meanwhile, my son pays a fair price for a used table and it retains most of it's value. Smart?

Well, nice try on my part but it did not compute to my son and his wife. They want something that matches the "farm house decor". So they went to A.E. Schmidt which is close to their house in a suburb of St. Louis. I asked him if they will offer Simonis 860HR and your choice of cushions. He hasn't answered back. I'll bet the salesman has heard of neither and will be rolling his eyes. Time for me to butt out. Thankfully, I won't be playing on it that much.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, nice try on my part but it did not compute to my son and his wife. They want something that matches the "farm house decor". So they went to A.E. Schmidt which is close to their house in a suburb of St. Louis. I asked him if they will offer Simonis 860HR and your choice of cushions. He hasn't answered back. I'll bet the salesman has heard of neither and will be rolling his eyes. Time for me to butt out. Thankfully, I won't be playing on it that much.

When you say he went to A.E. Schmidt I'm not sure if you mean he went to a local dealer or straight to the factory. I wasn't aware you could buy one directly from the factory but maybe so. In any event, if he went to the factory he very likely talked to Kurt Schmidt himself. I have found Kurt to be not only extremely personable and knowledgeable, but also very passionate about what he does. He'll take the time to talk to you for as long as you might want. As a matter of fact, I had the opportunity to measure some A.E. Schmidt pockets yesterday and found that they consistently came in at just under 5" and 5.5".

I know they're built well from a structural standpoint and I've never heard anyone dispute that, so your son could probably do a lot worse.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
When you say he went to A.E. Schmidt I'm not sure if you mean he went to a local dealer or straight to the factory. I wasn't aware you could buy one directly from the factory but maybe so. In any event, if he went to the factory he very likely talked to Kurt Schmidt himself. I have found Kurt to be not only extremely personable and knowledgeable, but also very passionate about what he does. He'll take the time to talk to you for as long as you might want. As a matter of fact, I had the opportunity to measure some A.E. Schmidt pockets yesterday and found that they consistently came in at just under 5" and 5.5".

I know they're built well from a structural standpoint and I've never heard anyone dispute that, so your son could probably do a lot worse.

Thanks for the information. Almost sure they went to the factory. They live in the Town and Country area of St. Louis and they mentioned the factory is about 1 mile away.