Need some input on how to fix this!!

akpooltable

Registered
I've been trying to figure out how to fix this, but since it's MDF(I think) board no one wants to touch it :/ so I need to attempt it myself. I'm attaching two pictures and it's self explanatory. I need to know how to do the finish. What fill to use, sand it, spray it etc.? Any input would be greatly appreciated. IMG_0327.JPG IMG_0326.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've been trying to figure out how to fix this, but since it's MDF(I think) board no one wants to touch it :/ so I need to attempt it myself. I'm attaching two pictures and it's self explanatory. I need to know how to do the finish. What fill to use, sand it, spray it etc.? Any input would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 464354 View attachment 464355

First of all, what is it, need to know more about it, more pictures.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thank you for the reply! It's one of the blinds of a pool table. I cannot quite tell what the finish is, looks glossy

The rail blind is made out of particle board, not MDF. The problem with fixing a break like that is that the wood don't hold wood screws very well. The finish is not a paint, it's a paper bonded finish, which is why it's going to be hard to match the finish. No matter what you do to fix the break, you'll never be able to hide the fact that it was broken, but you can lay it down on something flat, pull the pieces together the best you can, and glue a 1/2" piece of plywood 6" wide across the break. Once dry, fill the break with bondo, sand smooth, spray paint the finish matching the finish as best you can and call it done. There is no refinishing this kind of wood as it's cheap.

akpooltable

Registered
Thank you!! I've already glued and screwed a 4' long plywood tho the back so this stronger than before. I will try the bondo and spray. Thank you again and speedy recovery to you! I'll post an update once it's done!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Another thought,

If you want the aprons to be uniform in color, why not paint the rest of them the same as the repaired one? Just an idea :thumbup: