How long does a shaft last?

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys

How long does a normal playing shaft last before it show signs of warping or delaminating ( in the case of 314s) or how long before the ferrule cracks?

I played with 314s a lot and their ferrules cracked after sometime and one even delaminated from the ferrule spilt to the middle of the taper. Now i play with a normal hard maple shaft from mezz.

I usually play about a few hours every weekend. I just wonder if this shaft is good to last for a long time or will we need to change playing shaft every few years.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shafts on my Palmer are 45 years old are in fine condition.
My Runde Schon shafts are >30 yrs.old & are in tip top shape.
In fact, all the shafts on my cues are really in very good condition.
Does this help in any way to answer your question about how long?

Matt B.

Randy9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll second what Matt B. said above! I also have shafts for my old Runde Schon that are well over 30 years old and they're as good as new!! If you take care of things, they will last a long time! If you abuse them, well, not so long!

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 40 50 year old Maple aged tight grain shafts that are primo and true. But they have been handled well.

Only time will tell on glued LD's.....I have seen the original old 314's delaminated.

-Kat,

Jon Manning

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If shafts are maintained properly, I don't see why they wouldn't last for lifetimes. As for ferrules, they are a consumable (like tips). I can't speak on LD shafts, lots of variables when it comes to them. Hope this helps

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If shafts are maintained properly, I don't see why they wouldn't last for lifetimes. As for ferrules, they are a consumable (like tips). I can't speak on LD shafts, lots of variables when it comes to them. Hope this helps

when you guys say maintained properly, meaning its kept in the cue case and wiped down every time you finished playing?

i never clean my shafts. because i do not really like to introduce too much moisture to the wood. the humidity level is high where i lived. thats why i asked about shaft warping. rather its dirty than warped.

I always think ferrule changing will change the hit of the stick, mostly not for the better. Maybe there isnt a good pool mechanic around my area, but if ferrule is damaged, i think i would be better to change a new shaft. thats my 2 cents.

Anyway the reason i asked was because I have made up my mind not to go back to 314 shafts anymore and trying to play with a normal maple shaft. Just hoping that it last longer than all the 314s i ever owned.

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Taking care of anything is the KEY~!!

I have old growth shafts from the 1970's that are still PEREFECT, I also have Original Pre Cat 314 Shafts that are still 12.85mm or close and the quality of the Maple they used in those years, lends to long life as long as you don't Abuse, Those 1st gen. 314 are still straight and Ferrules are still intact and shoot just like they did in 1994 and we are now 23+ years later on these shafts.

But, I have seen the newer 314-2 and 314-3 delaminate, warp or explode in less than 3 months in Florida--Especially if not cared for!!

Use not Abuse is the key to anything that started its life---living--- in its death years it all comes down to how something is treated or lack there of!!

Respect

mike 'acedonkeyace' Kennedy

Blue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have old growth shafts from the 1970's that are still PEREFECT, I also have Original Pre Cat 314 Shafts that are still 12.85mm or close and the quality of the Maple they used in those years, lends to long life as long as you don't Abuse, Those 1st gen. 314 are still straight and Ferrules are still intact and shoot just like they did in 1994 and we are now 23+ years later on these shafts.

But, I have seen the newer 314-2 and 314-3 delaminate, warp or explode in less than 3 months in Florida--Especially if not cared for!!

Use not Abuse is the key to anything that started its life---living--- in its death years it all comes down to how something is treated or lack there of!!

Respect

mike 'acedonkeyace' Kennedy

I agree with everything u said.

The 314s are using waterbased glue to hold the laminates together. That was what i was told. Cleaning it too much may make it delaminate faster.
Perhaps it may be better not to clean them at all.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you don't mind having bluing or patina on the shafts, it'll last forever. Have the right repair guy to change your tips, most repair guy uses high grit sand paper on ferrule and tip, that will cause the ferrule to go thinner. But I never do that whenever I replace the tip, and my shafts last forever I'd say.

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No one really knows when it comes to laminated ld shafts. Yes the laminated shafts are glued, but you got to realize all cues have glue. There are cues that are from 50's and 60's that are still fine today. Don't tell me the glues back then are superior to what we have now.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Guys,

My 25 year old post Runde Schon has two original shafts. Play with one of them daily. Both are straight as an arrow. Had a new ferrule installed many years ago. On my zillionth tip. Shaft now measures just slightly under 13mm. With proper care and maintenance, a quality shaft should last a long, long time.

Lyn

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
A shaft should last forever. A ferrule should also last forever, granted that you don't allow your tip to get too thin. That Mezz shaft should last as long as the cue.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A super tight grained shaft may have been a hundred years old before it was harvested.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys

How long does a normal playing shaft last before it show signs of warping or delaminating ( in the case of 314s) or how long before the ferrule cracks?

I played with 314s a lot and their ferrules cracked after sometime and one even delaminated from the ferrule spilt to the middle of the taper. Now i play with a normal hard maple shaft from mezz.

I usually play about a few hours every weekend. I just wonder if this shaft is good to last for a long time or will we need to change playing shaft every few years.

I have not had a single shaft actually break on me from normal use. I have had two ferrules break on a shaft, one was knocked over and took a chunk out with the tip, another was my son's that broke on a mis-cue on a break. That last one was on an OB shaft but he did not have the pad on to spread the force around the ferrule.

I have owned a few Predators, including an old pre-cat one with a long ferrule and a few OB shafts, none of them came apart at the laminations. A good shaft should last pretty much as long as you can play with it, there is no "best by" date on them.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Guys,

My 25 year old post Runde Schon has two original shafts. Play with one of them daily. Both are straight as an arrow. Had a new ferrule installed many years ago. On my zillionth tip. Shaft now measures just slightly under 13mm. With proper care and maintenance, a quality shaft should last a long, long time.

Lyn

I think you used the key word for this thread..."quality".

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Guys

A "good" shaft will outlast you if you treat it right.

Dale