How in the world does Dale Perry DO IT!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
But I disagree that two people would have to work 24 hours a day to maintain the output that DP has. Efficient turning and assembly processes would be needed, that's all.

I'd agree if manufacturing was all it took to run a business.

Farming is an ideal business: one day to plant plus one day to harvest. Play pool the other 363 days.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tip specs on DP cues

i bought one of those cues on ebay about 2.5 years ago, shoots great. 12.75mm shaft 19.5oz weight. the original tip is holding up great too. ive been shooting in league 1-2 nights a week since i bought it and only have to scuff the tip every now and then, doesnt glaze much and is not mushrooming at all. holding a nickel curve very well. ill probably buy another one some day
--------------------------------------
For anyone who happens to know, what brand and hardness of tip are used on Dale Perry's cues (or are these specs an option when ordering)?

Arnaldo

tank69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He may have those cues posted on EBay and some come and go, but that doesn't really mean they are "actually" sold. Wonder how many get pulled from auction for whatever reason or buyers don't pay or returns. While I'm sure he is selling quite a few, I'd be reluctant to base simply on eBay stats.

As for production, if you have the equipment and the process down, production becomes easier than thought.

dsoriano

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL! Hell yes!

And I don't see people questioning it or making accusations about it!

I don't see where I ever questioned or accussed anyone of anything. Yes I will admit I am ignorant when it comes to producing cues, thats why I started this discussion to read comments and get informed, no reason to get your panties in a bunch.:sorry:

:wink:

g_k_ace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just saw his feedback>>7984..since 2001..a very little percent of these sold items are joint protectors,t-shirts,tips and upgraded shafts...Doing an estimation of having sold approximately 7000+cues..

Last edited:

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd agree if manufacturing was all it took to run a business.

Farming is an ideal business: one day to plant plus one day to harvest. Play pool the other 363 days.

You obviously were never a farmer. lol

An operation like Dale has going is closer to a cottage industry than it is to manufacturing.

I used to ship a lot more packages than seven a day, and they needed a lot more protection (musical instruments) than some bubble wrap and a mailing tube. Maybe an hour's work for me on the average.

Bookkeeping costs? Really? With an operation this size you could use the back of a paper bag. A simple spreadsheet is all he'd really need.

Advertising costs? Basically none, aside from maintaining an active website and his E-bay account.

Payroll? Well, he says he has only one employee. My wife has a master's Degree in psychology and 15 years experience in her field as an administrator and she only pulls down $60K/yr. Dale would be a very generous man if he paid his helper $40k plus bennies for assembling cues.

If Dale isn't clearing $100K after expenses, I'll eat Mike Dechaine's size 9 hat.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If he sells cues for an average of $200, he's barely making a profit.
Ebay takes out some 9%.
Factor some 2-3% by Paypal.

shanesinnott

Follow Through
Silver Member
just saw his feedback>>7984..since 2001..a very little percent of these sold items are joint protectors,t-shirts,tips and upgraded shafts...Doing an estimation of having sold approximately 7000+cues..

Probably more like 14,000 cues as only about half the people that buy leave feedback.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
So would it be safe to bet that Dale is making about $100K a year in profit after all overhead, supplies, paying employees, etc etc? Closer to $50K? I'm curious. I guess this # doesn't include health care, retirement, savings (if there are these things).

If you factor in the eBay and PayPal fees he is probably closer to 40K

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not trashing Dale Perry but my concern would be whether he is properly aging his wood.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doc , you don't get curiosity ?

I have a lot of curiosity...but not about this.

The man is a cue maker and has a cue making business. It's really rather clear and he is pretty much selling openly to the public. He has a web site and a clear physical location.

In fact, he less mysterious than some "custom" makers.

I actually just don't see much mystery in it, hence not much curiosity on my part.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He may have those cues posted on EBay and some come and go, but that doesn't really mean they are "actually" sold. Wonder how many get pulled from auction for whatever reason or buyers don't pay or returns. While I'm sure he is selling quite a few, I'd be reluctant to base simply on eBay stats.

As for production, if you have the equipment and the process down, production becomes easier than thought.

You can actually see which ones sell on Ebay. It's easy. Just click the link.....

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't see where I ever questioned or accussed anyone of anything. Yes I will admit I am ignorant when it comes to producing cues, thats why I started this discussion to read comments and get informed, no reason to get your panties in a bunch.:sorry:

:wink:

People do in general question it and there are many accusations especially in these forums. I never said that any of them came from you.

This matter has already been beaten to death in these forums if you are curious.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
dale perry cues

I had a dale perry cue in for repairs last year,

On this cue the epoxy was not holding.
the ferrule and joints had come loose.

We cannot expect a 200.00 $ mass produced pool cue to compare to a custom cue. we should how ever expect judge the cue to other mass produced cues made in other countries with the same price range.
apples to apples.

One real good way to see how well a cue is made is too see how long it will hold together. That seems to be a struggle with mass producing solid wooden cues.

MMike

hotrod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is one of the funniest things I have seen on here.

Robin Snyder< from a long line of farmers

Tractors, harvesters, planters, combines, seed, fertilizer, 3000 acres and a prayer for good weather. Gonna go rush out tomorrow and become a farmer so I can shoot me some more pool. Live the good life.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I don't get how a 2 man operation cranks out 7 high quality cues a day.
There's no accusation intended in that, it's just, I cannot understand how it's physically done.

The 'how it's made' episode on cues shows plenty of careful work done by hand even if the machines can saw down the wood pretty rapidly. And there's drying time for the various glues and sealants.

I'm assuming he just buys meuccis in bulk, puts some stickers on them that look like realistic inlays, and resells. JK... Probably it's just long days and the machines are more advanced than I think.
Good on him. Whatever his income, he clearly earned it.