Is there a common CTE focus point or final aiming point?

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Joey, when your using all the different ways to check your correct aim. Would you think that it takes you long too shoot ? I'm wondering if I'm taking too long or rushing because I don't want to take too long.
With CTE, when shooting a shot to the left, do you come in from the A or B side or the CTEL to determie the visuals? I'm just using that as an example, realizing that you would come in from the exact opposite if you were shooting a cut to the right using C or B.

JE54,
I don't take very long to shoot, unless I have difficulty even seeing the object ball. Most of my shots are very quick. OK, maybe not super quick. I think I am a little quicker than say, a Ralf Souquet. ;)

I think that your other question about visuals should be directed to Stan Shuffett. I don't particularly like giving advice about CTE/Pro1. In Stan's video, he regularly demonstrates that your body is offset to the cue ball as you do not stand directly behind the cue ball to see the shot and that you slide your bridge hand into place. Hope that helps. (Sometimes I find myself standing directly behind the cue ball; maybe that's why I miss sometimes. )

JoeyA

JE54

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Appreciate the reply. I think I'll give Stan a call...............

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, look what I dug up from the past. How long has this been going on? Whatever happened to some of these guys like plfrg from Portland, Champ2107, Carp diem, and others? Everyone brings up the same questions.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, look what I dug up from the past. How long has this been going on? Whatever happened to some of these guys like plfrg from Portland, Champ2107, Carp diem, and others? Everyone brings up the same questions.

Well, several, like Champ, duckie, and PJ have been banned; I think Dr. Dave just gave up explaining why it was impossible for somethings to not be so; others found other ways to twiddle away the hours and just gave up.

BTW, this thread barely counts as scratching the surface. There have been tons of threads, some of them truly monumental, on this topic, here and further back on RSB. Unfortunamente, several of the best ones here have beed deleted.

Lou Figueroa
never to rise
from the dead

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
BTW, this thread barely counts as scratching the surface. There have been tons of threads, some of them truly monumental, on this topic, here and further back on RSB.

Lou Figueroa

And for the record, Lou was either the first or second person to fire off the initial cannon shot that started the war back in the late 90's on RSB. So it's about 20 years and still going strong. He certainly hasn't lost sight of his mission with thousands of negative posts. And I do mean THOUSANDS. What a way to spend life.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
And for the record, Lou was either the first or second person to fire off the initial cannon shot that started the war back in the late 90's on RSB. So it's about 20 years and still going strong. He certainly hasn't lost sight of his mission with thousands of negative posts. And I do mean THOUSANDS. What a way to spend life.

Question: Since you are a star student of CTE Pro 1, do you now look at the CB last? I can't imagine that but it would be a nice feature and something to look forward to (by learning the system).

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
Question: Since you are a star student of CTE Pro 1, do you now look at the CB last? I can't imagine that but it would be a nice feature and something to look forward to (by learning the system).

I look at CB last. Always have, even before CTE.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member

I look at the OB going into the pocket last. And then the next one, and the next one, and the next one. That's what you need to look forward to. And if you want specific information on something go to Stan's videos on youtube. He is the star developer and instructor of CTE Pro 1.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=stan+shuffett+on+youtube&spf=1495792828793

What I look forward to is you doing Colin's Potting Test on video using CTE Pro 1 successfully without throwing out a bunch of excuses. You should have that drag draw shot down pat by then.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I look at the OB going into the pocket last. And then the next one, and the next one, and the next one. That's what you need to look forward to. And if you want specific information on something go to Stan's videos on youtube. He is the star developer and instructor of CTE Pro 1.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=stan+shuffett+on+youtube&spf=1495792828793

What I look forward to is you doing Colin's Potting Test on video using CTE Pro 1 successfully without throwing out a bunch of excuses. You should have that drag draw shot down pat by then.

Thanks for the link. I'm really trying to learn CTE. I understand Dr. Dave had some input on CTE Pro 1 some years ago. I can not find his opinions, maybe someone can summarize what he thought about aiming systems.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. I'm really trying to learn CTE. I understand Dr. Dave had some input on CTE Pro 1 some years ago. I can not find his opinions, maybe someone can summarize what he thought about aiming systems.

Why are you wasting time looking all over creation for opinions? If you really want to learn CTE keep setting up balls on the table and doing what the DVD tells you to do along with Stan's individual videos on youtube.

Besides, Dr. Dave is one of the last individuals to go to about CTE because he's never understood or gotten it himself. Most of what he's posted is complete
misinformation and negative just as he's been in forum flame wars in the past.

If somebody thought you made improvements and wanted to link up with the instructor you're now learning from, would he/she be better off taking lessons directly from his star pupil meaning you...looking all over the internet for reviews of your instructor and basing his decision on them...or going straight to your instructor and setting up a lesson or two to learn directly?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Why are you wasting time looking all over creation for opinions? If you really want to learn CTE keep setting up balls on the table and doing what the DVD tells you to do along with Stan's individual videos on youtube.

Besides, Dr. Dave is one of the last individuals to go to about CTE because he's never understood or gotten it himself. Most of what he's posted is complete
misinformation and negative just as he's been in forum flame wars in the past.

If somebody thought you made improvements and wanted to link up with the instructor you're now learning from, would he/she be better off taking lessons directly from his star pupil meaning you...looking all over the internet for reviews of your instructor and basing his decision on them...or going straight to your instructor and setting up a lesson or two to learn directly?

Going to him directly would be the smartest. I am not anywhere near his "star student". He has many master level students. But, he does not teach CTE. I'm at the point where I need someone to physically show it to me, but I can not find any one around the NW that has studied it. I just can't get where the cue comes down after the perception of the visuals and the pivot part. I'll keep watching the videos and hope one clicks. I aim okay now so just mildly curious about it.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Going to him directly would be the smartest. I am not anywhere near his "star student". He has many master level students. But, he does not teach CTE. I'm at the point where I need someone to physically show it to me, but I can not find any one around the NW that has studied it. I just can't get where the cue comes down after the perception of the visuals and the pivot part. I'll keep watching the videos and hope one clicks. I aim okay now so just mildly curious about it.

I'm not suggesting you go to YOUR instructor to learn CTE. Nor am I suggesting that other pool players go to YOU, his master level students, or base whether they should go to him on internet reviews from other instructors or students.

Anybody who wants to learn what he teaches should go directly to HIM, your instructor. Just as you should for CTE and that means Stan. Of course setting something up with him in person would be the ultimate situation but as you stated it's a long distance to do it.

That's why you need to stick with anything and everything he has in the way of DVDs and free youtube videos. And there are TONS of them. Seek and yee shall find.

If you find it too much of a problem or hassle to accomplish the end result, screw it.
It's not for you. Just drop it. Otherwise you'll turn into one of the negative haters and trolls compounding the flame wars on here.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What difference does an opinion by Dr Dave make? He is neither a student or supporter of Pro One. This sounds like yet another excuse for why you don't actually put some effort into learning Pro One. Honestly I don't think Pro one is for you. Fractional aiming gets you close, stick with it.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
What difference does an opinion by Dr Dave make? He is neither a student or supporter of Pro One. This sounds like yet another excuse for why you don't actually put some effort into learning Pro One. Honestly I don't think Pro one is for you. Fractional aiming gets you close, stick with it.

I am just curious what one of the games foremost authorities has to say about CTE and all aiming systems. I'm sure if he bought into it, you'd be quoting him everywhere. I don't use fractional aiming except for an occasional 1/2 ball hit. I love seeing that relationship proven by "Poolology". Not sure what I use. I just try to send the whole cue ball to the OB. I may be too old to even see edges. But, if there is something magical out there, I want it. Right now, my last look is at the OB, and I'd love to have the latitude to last look at the CB to insure I'm hitting it like I want. After all, who doesn't want to never miss again? Making balls into blind pockets with a curtain up would be nice too.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I am just curious what one of the games foremost authorities has to say about CTE and all aiming systems. I'm sure if he bought into it, you'd be quoting him everywhere. I don't use fractional aiming except for an occasional 1/2 ball hit. I love seeing that relationship proven by "Poolology". Not sure what I use. I just try to send the whole cue ball to the OB. I may be too old to even see edges. But, if there is something magical out there, I want it. Right now, my last look is at the OB, and I'd love to have the latitude to last look at the CB to insure I'm hitting it like I want. After all, who doesn't want to never miss again? Making balls into blind pockets with a curtain up would be nice too.

He is NOT, let me repeat, HE IS NOT an authority about CTE. Not even close to it either.

What he has to say about it is NEGATIVE and INCOMPLETE. It's clearly evident in all of his past posts and willingness to get into flame wars from the anti-CTE naysaying side.

Here's what you do. Make a video of what you CAN DO and have learned to make certain shots with CTE.

Set some simple shots up, verbalize what you see and how you're aiming the CB with the OB, what you do or see when you get down into the shot. And then shoot it.

If you're unwilling to make the video or even know how to verbalize the most simple shots, it'll be obvious you haven't done your homework or given it enough work.

So either do the video or no more posts from you or back from us. That's IT.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think most all good shooters look at cue ball last. Why not, if you don't hit the cueball correctly nothing else matters and it's the easiest visual in the game. That said, everybody misses, so forget that goal. Seeing edges, lines, contact points is the hard part regardless of the system used. The object is to learn what the visuals should look like, and that can be done on paper. At the table, if you can see a good visual on a certain shot then you can trust it and shoot it. If you can't see it, don't just assume it's there somewhere and shoot anyway, try a way you have more faith in. I use Pro one on most shots, but after over 2 years there are shots I have trouble seeing, so I either start over and try to get a better visual with more focus, or try a contact point or ghost ball visual. There is no magical solution that makes every ball without accurate use on your part. I'm not to the point of 100% accuracy with any system and most aren't. Missing is part of the process, and so a strategy of knowing how to miss is sometimes the best choice.

With fractional and contact point type systems you have to determine a certain part of an object ball at some distance away, and then aim at that point from some distance away. That is not easy even if you can see that point precisely, much less hit it precisely. The thing with Pro One is you never have to worry about a contact point, although if you know about where it is it can be a visual check to reassure you are using the correct perception for the shot. I can visualize a CTE line and say a Edge to A line as easily as I can 1/4 or 3/8" of a ball. The thing is when using the lines, I don't have to aim down either one of them, just use them to position my visual perception of the shot, approach the cueball, either to center or whatever english I wish, and fire the shot. The target is hitting the cueball correctly, and without aiming at anything else, So yes, cueball definitely last, and without guessing at a fraction of a sphere 5 or 7 feet away.

Last edited:

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I didn't realize you were the El Hefe of AZB.

That's nice. Another diversionary wisecrack instead of doing what can be of benefit which is the video.

You are now officially on TROLL ALERT and not worth my time or anyone else's time with this kind of response instead of sticking to what you do know and can do with CTE at this point.

I said adios to you once before and it's adios again. It was obvious when you went through the work and trouble to resurrect a negative 5 year old flame war thread which is this one regarding your direction. Must have something to do with the genetics of having the initials "D W" for first and last name.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
That's nice. Another diversionary wisecrack instead of doing what can be of benefit which is the video.

You are now officially on TROLL ALERT and not worth my time or anyone else's time with this kind of response instead of sticking to what you do know and can do with CTE at this point.

I said adios to you once before and it's adios again. It was obvious when you went through the work and trouble to resurrect a negative 5 year old flame war thread which is this one regarding your direction. Must have something to do with the genetics of having the initials "D W" for first and last name.

Nah, I don't want a war with anyone. I'm just looking for an insight to CTE Pro 1, and I see from this 5 year old thread that I'm not the only one that's had trouble over the years. What I don't understand is why you defenders have such big chips on your shoulders over this system. It's almost like you think you're defending something that is indefensible but I haven't determined that for sure yet. If and when I decide it's not for me, I'll leave it to you.

Last edited:

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nah, I don't want a war with anyone. I'm just looking for an incite to CTE Pro 1, and I see from this 5 year old thread that I'm not the only one that's had trouble over the years. What I don't understand is why you defenders have such big chips on your shoulders over this system. It's almost like you think you're defending something that is indefensible but I haven't determined that for sure yet. If and when I decide it's not for me, I'll leave it to you.

That's pretty weak. Most of the videos are younger than this thread. There is information out there, but none that do not require the table time to use the information.