Revo shaft- plug and redrill?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes to Revo shafts. I'm nervous. They are not as strong and durable as some may think. I know, I live with it. One little mark has cost me what I thought was a friend and multiple customers due to continuous ranting. Truly sad and it bothers me everyday. And this was just a small mark from my collet putting on a tip and you could only see it in the sun light.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if milking a cat is possible. This is from a movie, so it fiction and the conversation entirely made up for comedic effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNwzKo5Yps

On AZ, you can ask the trolls how they milk a thread. :)

Where else do you think I got that line from when I read "I just watched Deep Water Horizon. Anything can be drilled" LOL

I only look for the funny in threads, the hell with the actual topic. Well, OK, I don't like the REVO shafts, IMHO it's a bit of a waste to do extra work on it to fit a cue LOL A hollow carbon fiber tube filled with pillow stuffing is not something I want on my cue.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes to Revo shafts. I'm nervous. They are not as strong and durable as some may think. I know, I live with it. One little mark has cost me what I thought was a friend and multiple customers due to continuous ranting. Truly sad and it bothers me everyday. And this was just a small mark from my collet putting on a tip and you could only see it in the sun light.

How did that story end for you Michael?
I goy asked as late as today to plug and tap a Revo. I said no problem, I plug and tap shafts all the time, but due to the cost, I will not take responsebility, this is all on the customer. He hasn`r replied back yet... :rolleyes:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I goy asked as late as today to plug and tap a Revo. I said no problem, I plug and tap shafts all the time, but due to the cost, I will not take responsebility, this is all on the customer. He hasn`r replied back yet... :rolleyes:

It hasn't ended. He still runs his mouth behind my back. We don't speak. He sent it to Predator. He got it back repaired. I don't know the results, and because of his attitude. I won't ask. I did inquire about touching up carbon fiber and the color black of course. I was told there are about 1000 shades of black. Before Revo hit the market. I was told they were very strong. That Cue maker is full of shit.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Sorry to hear this. Some cue owners are neurotic nit pickers. I can be one. Let him run his mouth. You have a good reputation. If his listeners are uncomfortable with you let them shop.

Last edited:

CuesRus1973

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked this same question in the cue makers section and the replies were all it cant be done..Wrong it only took minutes to change from the radial to 3/8's by 11 and it was perfect screws together tight rolls perfect no scratches or nicks have been playing with it everyday for 3 weeks now and love it also had a kamui clear black soft put on it at the same time

Can it be done? Most likely. But should it be done? All those cue makers you asked are correct. Results may vary but basically you are cross-threading with the tap. You will not have anywhere near the same amount of contact with the pin as designed. It WILL affect the feel and it WILL affect the durability of the threads. No cue maker in his right mind would touch an operation like that. This goes with any shaft. The Revo's have a delicate surface, difficult to not mar. I would avoid it like the plague. Have a mid-cue adaptor/extension made, would be my suggestion.

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where else do you think I got that line from when I read "I just watched Deep Water Horizon. Anything can be drilled" LOL

I only look for the funny in threads, the hell with the actual topic. Well, OK, I don't like the REVO shafts, IMHO it's a bit of a waste to do extra work on it to fit a cue LOL A hollow carbon fiber tube filled with pillow stuffing is not something I want on my cue.

Not everyone gets our sense of humor.... lol

bob b.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for you experiences, and opinions. When I started this thread (read) I felt comfortable having someone modify to a 3/8x11. NOT so much now. I am a nit-picker cue owner, so I better not attempt it...:)

I do have a strong opinion about Predator's marketing machine. As much as they are strong going after a buck, they are MISSING many dollars by ONLY doing 2 pins on this shaft. I'm surprised someone at Predator hasn't come up with a adapter to accept all pins. (internally in the shaft end).

I like the way my cue(s) plays now. I do not like the mid extensions. Just not for me.

Bob

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to original question. Yes. You could have someone run the tap in it. The results are the catch 22. If your lucky. You'll get about 25 percent thread contact. If you cross thread one time putting it together. You'll strip it out.

bob b.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back to original question. Yes. You could have someone run the tap in it. The results are the catch 22. If your lucky. You'll get about 25 percent thread contact. If you cross thread one time putting it together. You'll strip it out.

Thanks Michael. I think I'll wait...:). Or maybe someday buy/play with a different butt...:)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Michael. I think I'll wait...:). Or maybe someday buy/play with a different butt...:)

Hi Bob.
You can get an extension as short as 2 1/4 to 2 1/2". You can use an aluminum radial. Eliminate the solid shank part of the screw by threading it 3/8x10, 5/16x18 and have it installed in the extension as short as 3/4" and maintain strength.
Hope this helps.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It hasn't ended. He still runs his mouth behind my back. We don't speak. He sent it to Predator. He got it back repaired. I don't know the results, and because of his attitude. I won't ask. I did inquire about touching up carbon fiber and the color black of course. I was told there are about 1000 shades of black. Before Revo hit the market. I was told they were very strong. That Cue maker is full of shit.

That's the problem dealing with the public. Do somebody a good job and they may, or may not tell anybody, especially if they think somehow what you did to their cue may give them some slight edge, but if they are at all unsatisfied with anything they tell every fukin body how bad you are. I've had people ask for a new tip installed, with no clue what kind of tip they want, then later find out they are talkin smack about you because the tip is too soft or too hard. This is why I rarely take special orders on pool cues. I build what I like and if someone buys it great, if not I have another cue I like.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the problem dealing with the public. Do somebody a good job and they may, or may not tell anybody, especially if they think somehow what you did to their cue may give them some slight edge, but if they are at all unsatisfied with anything they tell every fukin body how bad you are. I've had people ask for a new tip installed, with no clue what kind of tip they want, then later find out they are talkin smack about you because the tip is too soft or too hard. This is why I rarely take special orders on pool cues. I build what I like and if someone buys it great, if not I have another cue I like.

That's the way it works. I accept it but consider myself lucky. 26 years to date and to put it boldly. Less than 10 that I consider walking ads for birth control.

bob b.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI- I was told today by a reliable source. The Revo shaft has phenolic inside the shaft, the length of the pin or more. So, therefore if true, shouldn't be a problem to change...

Rubikong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5b2b5118450bb9d3ff115e5dd2ae25f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Follow up. The customer Claimed that Predator charged him $100.00 to buff out the small knick from the collet. I gave him the money and lesson learned not to do work on Revo shafts til I find a better way to re-tip them and of course not for someone who blames everyone except the manufacturer for soft finish.