Should I Dump My GCIV?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've started playing again the last few weeks. Didn't hit them around for about six months but now sort of getting the fever again.

As many on here will recall over the years I have a terrible time getting a ball down on my Gold Crown IV. It must be an extremely stingy table. I am just wondering if its time to switch from the GCIV to a Diamond Professional, or a Diamond ProAm, perhaps?

Anybody have any experience in playing with these tables? Does the GCIV have a reputation of being stingy?

I am sort of at my wits end here. I bet I broke about 30-35 racks tonight and only had one, maybe two, chances to run out.

r/DCP

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Generally, if you practice on a stingy table, and figure out how accurate you need to be,
then when you play on an easier table, you will pot EVERYTHING.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think a diamond is a good choice for you, mostly because you already own the gc4.

Do you use a racking template?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think a diamond is a good choice for you, mostly because you already own the gc4.

Do you use a racking template?

Yes, I use the, whats the name of it? Its not the Magic Rack, its the other template. I don't have a problem spreading the balls, I have a problem getting a ball down. And usually when I do I have an impossible shot or spread.

r/DCP

p.s. Its the Accu-Rack

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
If the GC4 is original and unaltered(kinda means the same thing)then I don't think you will like the Diamond much better. I play on a Gold Crown that was set up by the same guy who set up my Diamond and the Diamond is tougher. On the Gold Crown I play like God but on the Diamond I use God in many of my sentences:embarrassed2:.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
DCP,

It's not the table. Move the cue ball. Change the angle of your break. Move the cue ball forward and back closer to the rail. Try a heavier break cue. Try a lighter break cue. Anything but changing tables. Don't remember what type of cloth you are using but if it's too nappy, may be part of the problem. Whats the humidity like in your room. What type of pool balls are you using? Watch some "pros" break on nine footers. Find one who you can emulate. Practice, practice, practice. Wish I had your problem. Never had a pool table in my home.

Lyn

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DCP,

It's not the table. Move the cue ball. Change the angle of your break. Move the cue ball forward and back closer to the rail. Try a heavier break cue. Try a lighter break cue. Anything but changing tables. Don't remember what type of cloth you are using but if it's too nappy, may be part of the problem. Whats the humidity like in your room. What type of pool balls are you using? Watch some "pros" break on nine footers. Find one who you can emulate. Practice, practice, practice. Wish I had your problem. Never had a pool table in my home.

Lyn

Done all of this stuff and more a million times over the years.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play straight pool.

I have to assume you're playing 8-ball.

If you're playing 9-ball, note where the wingballs are hitting, and adjust the placement of the template accordingly.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go for the Diamond, why not? This table has been bad luck for you for 10 years. Time to change it up. Get brand new balls too, so there is nothing old on the new surface.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Yep, you should just go ahead and dump that gc4 in my garage, I'll take care of it: ).

On the back of every ob is an imprint of the pocket.

JMD in VA

It's All Good!
Silver Member
Cardiac Kid makes some valid points

Done all of this stuff and more a million times over the years.

I agree with the Cardiac Kid on his points here. If the room temp fluctuates, has moisture in it one day and dry the next, there is no way to get a consistent break to work.

Also, try changing the speed of your break; up and down. I remember an old Accu-Stat where the tables (GC's) were playing tight when Earl was hitting the break warp speed. Playing 9 Ball, the wing ball would always hit high. Efren was hitting the break at about 80% of what he could break the balls at and was making the wing ball more frequently.

Your only other solution.....Start playing One Pocket! :)

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Also, try changing the speed of your break; up and down.

Thanks JMD, forgot to mention that. If the OP thinks it is diffficult to make a ball on the break with a template, wait till they try without the template! Talk about a crap shoot! Different racks. Sometimes on every table in a tournament. Ouch!

Lyn

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've started playing again the last few weeks. Didn't hit them around for about six months but now sort of getting the fever again.

As many on here will recall over the years I have a terrible time getting a ball down on my Gold Crown IV. It must be an extremely stingy table. I am just wondering if its time to switch from the GCIV to a Diamond Professional, or a Diamond ProAm, perhaps?

Anybody have any experience in playing with these tables? Does the GCIV have a reputation of being stingy?

I am sort of at my wits end here. I bet I broke about 30-35 racks tonight and only had one, maybe two, chances to run out.

r/DCP

Old rails and slow cloth?

GC pockets if not modified are easier to make a ball in than Diamond pockets, larger pockets, shallower shelf. If you can't make a ball on the GC, you really won't make a ball on the Diamond.