Turning Stone XXII 9-Ball, Sept. 2014

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Break Stats -- Turning Stone XXII 9-Ball, Sept. 2014

Here are some aggregate break statistics from 18 of the 9-Ball matches streamed by AZBtv from the Turning Stone Classic XXII in Verona, New York. [They streamed 4 other matches that I did not watch.]

The conditions for this event included: Diamond 9-foot Pro-Am table with pro-cut pockets, blue Simonis 860 cloth, Aramith Tournament balls with the measles cue ball, Diamond wooden rack, winner breaks, loser racks (unless both players agree to rack-your-own), cue-ball fouls only except during the act of shooting, no jump cues allowed, and all slop counts.

The 18 matches (229 games) were as follows:

Thurs., Sept. 18 -- D. Hewitt def. M. Daigle 9-6, J. Archer d. M. Andrews 9-1, S. Van Boening d. J. Vitale 9-1, and H. See d. O. Dominguez 9-3.​
Fri., Sept. 19 -- J. Shaw d. J. Ulrich 9-5, E. Strickland d. K. Corr 9-4, and M. Paradis d. J. Dupuis 9-2.​
Sat., Sept. 20 -- R. Saez d. R. Cutler 9-3, R. Morris d. W. Kiamco 9-3, J. Sossei d. D. Hatch 9-2, W. Kiamco d. R. Saez 9-3, E. Strickland d. J. Archer 9-2, and J. Shaw d. S. Van Boening 9-6.​
Sun., Sept. 21 -- R. Morris d. M. Dechaine 9-3, J. Shaw d. E. Strickland 9-4, M. Immonen d. R. Morris 9-7, J. Shaw d. R. Morris 9-2, and J. Shaw d. M. Immonen 13-6.​

Overall results -- The breaker made at least one ball (and did not foul) 64% of the time (147 of 229), won 60% of the games (137 of 229), and broke and ran 19% of the games (44 of 229).

Here's a little more detailed breakdown of the 229 games.

Breaker made at least one ball and did not foul:​
Breaker won the game: 99 (43% of the 229 games)​
Breaker lost the game: 48 (21%)​
Breaker fouled on the break:​
Breaker won the game: 5 (2%)​
Breaker lost the game: 11 (5%)​
Breaker broke dry (without fouling):​
Breaker won the game: 33 (14%)​
Breaker lost the game: 33 (14%)​
Therefore, whereas the breaker won 60% (137) of all 229 games,​
He won 67% (99 of 147) of the games in which he made at least one ball on the break and did not foul.​
He won 31% (5 of 16) of the games in which he fouled on the break.​
He won 50% (33 of 66) of the games in which he broke dry but did not foul.​
He won 46% (38 of 82) of the games in which he either fouled on the break or broke dry without fouling.​

9-balls on the break:
The 44 break-and-run games included 4 9-balls on the break (1.7% of the 229 breaks).

[Caveat -- When these matches are available on YouTube, I will review one game to check on the break results. If any adjustment (minor) is needed to these numbers, I'll make it at that time.]

Last edited:

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
Excellent job on the stats. Thank you very much for doing this and taking the time to share it with us.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Miscellany from the data for the Turning Stone Classic XXII 9-Ball Open
[Reminder -- this relates only to the 18 streamed matches that I watched, not to all matches in the event.]

• Although the 9-ball was made on the break only 4 times in 229 games, 2 of them were in the very first streamed match on Thursday!

• The 44 B&R games (including 9's on the break) consisted of three 3-packs (Shaw, See, and Immonen), four 2-packs, and 27 singles.

• Tournament winner Shaw appeared on stream for four matches. He broke and ran at a 21% rate (8 of 39), quite similar to the overall 19%.

• The most balls made on a single break was three, 11 times. The breaker won 8 of those 11 games (4 by B&R).

• The average number of balls made on the break was 1.0 (this includes dry and fouled breaks). Excluding dry breaks, the average was 1.5.

• Following the 16 breaking fouls, the incoming player ran out the game 9 times (56%).

• 41% of the games ended in one inning -- 19% won by the breaker (B&R) and 22% won by the non-breaker..

• The number of lopsided matches on the stream seemed to be abnormally high. For the 17 races to 9 that I watched (i.e., excluding the finals race to 13), the loser won an average of just 3.4 games. Adding in the 4 matches that I missed, 2 of which went hill/hill, the average was still just 4.0 games for the loser.

• In the 17 races to 9 that I watched, the average elapsed time for the matches was just 56 minutes, or 4.6 minutes per game. The elapsed time was measured from the lag until the winning ball was made (or conceded), so it includes time for racking and breaks (time-outs).

• The longest match in elapsed time was Hewitt d. Daigle -- 83 minutes (5.5 min. per game).

• The match with the highest average number of minutes per game was See d. O. Dominguez -- 6.7 minutes per game for the 12 games.

• The shortest match in elapsed time and lowest in minutes per game was Shaw d. Morris -- 34 minutes, or 3.1 minutes per game for the 11 games.

Last edited: