Turning Stone XXII- the prediction thread

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer, Strickland, Hatch, Busta, Corr, Hohman, Shane, Mika, Deschaine, etc etc etc. This is going to be one amazing tournament. The list of big time names goes on.

Add in the pressure of the upcoming us open and Mosconi cup events (and potential players trying to make the team), this is one for the ages.

Any predictions? Who else well be camped out in the stands? I'll put in ten hours on Sat and another ten on Sunday for sure.

I'm looking for earl to defend his title and become back to back champ. Shane is done with playing in top 5, he wants a number 1. Sossei will be in top form looking to make final Mosconi cup roster.

Without a winter turning stone classic, and the year long gap, I can't wait to go.

Thinking Dechaine.
Thursday September 18 to 21st.
Free livestream on AZB. FREE to watch in person. Best spectator venue in pro pool period.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Archer, Strickland, Hatch, Busta, Corr, Hohman, Shane, Mika, Deschaine, etc etc etc. This is going to be one amazing tournament. The list of big time names goes on.

Add in the pressure of the upcoming us open and Mosconi cup events (and potential players trying to make the team), this is one for the ages.

Any predictions? Who else well be camped out in the stands? I'll put in ten hours on Sat and another ten on Sunday for sure.

I'm looking for earl to defend his title and become back to back champ. Shane is done with playing in top 5, he wants a number 1. Sossei will be in top form looking to make final Mosconi cup roster.

Without a winter turning stone classic, and the year long gap, I can't wait to go.

Turning Stone is always a fine event. As you suggest, it will likely have Mosconi implications.

Sossei is definitely one to watch. He beat Vandenberg at Derby City. He beat Oscar Dominguez in a WPA event in Asia, and continued to justify his "giant killer" nickname by beating Van Boening in the Steinway 10-ball classic. He came a respectable 17th in the 14.1 event. He has a couple of Joss tour titles this year, too. He's a player in form.

Shane aside, only Justin Bergman, winner of the Hard Times event, who played well in the Steinway 10-ball event and also in the 14.1, can make a stronger case than Sossei for inclusion in the last five.

On performance alone, Shane, Bergman and Sossei should be shoe-ins. That said, though, Turning Stone and the US Open remain for those who've yet to make a statement of any kind this year among the "Mosconi 8." We know that Deuel, Dominguez, Schmidt, Shuff, and Hall are all capable of shining in these events, which adds some excitement for the fans.

Hatch showed some rock solid form in the Steinway 10-ball classic, losing to Kiamco in the final. Warren is not to be overlooked as a contender.

The seeming favorites are Shane, Dechaine, Hohmann and Immonen, but the matches aren't played on paper, so we'll see how it goes.

As he topped Sossei in the final a year ago, Earl's chances cannot be taken lightly.

Waiting for the final list of players before I comment further. Good luck to all participants.

Here is the player list for Joss tour at Turning Stone
*Mike Zuglan's Joss Northeast 9-Ball Tour
Turning Stone Classic XXII September 18th-21st, 2014 Player List
(Updated 8/13/14 - Subject to change)*

ADAMS, JAMES
ANDONI, BORANA
ANDREWS, MIKE
ANDREWS, RICHARD
ANTONE, TONY
ARCHER, JOHNNY
ASCOLESE, DAVE
ATTIA, KARIM
BABRAVICH, JOHN
BARRETTA, JENNIFER
BATEMAN, CHRIS
BIASIN, BILL
BOEMMELS, BRENT
BOMBARD, GREG
BRUCATO, NICK
BRYANT, BRITTANY
BUSTAMANTE, FRANCISCO
CAMERON, DON
CASANZIO, RON
CHIN, HOLDEN
CLOUTIER, ERIC
CLOWERY, JARROD
CONTE, VICTOR
COPPOLA, NICK
CORR, KAREN
COTE, BILL
CREAMER, MARK
CROWE, JERRY
CUDA, GARY
CULHANE, ED
CUNNINGHAM, BOB
CUTLER, REDGIE
DAIGLE, MARTIN
DALFONSO, TOM
DAYA, DAVE
DECHAINE, MIKE
DOMINGUEZ, ERNESTO
DOMINGUEZ, OSCAR
DUPUIS, JOE
DUTY, ALAN
EISLAND, MARK
ENSLIN, PAUL
FERNANDEZ, DAVE
FRANCEOUR, RICHER
GIBBONS, JOE
GILBERT, MARCEL
GILDEA, TOM
GOKEY, FRED
GOYER, JAY
GRANNIS, RICK
GREENWOOD, AARON
HA, JULIE
HART, ROB
HATCH, DENNIS
HEIDRICH, DAN
HEWITT, DAN
HOFFMAN, SETH
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
HU, ERIC
IMMONEN, MIKA
JECEN, JED
JONES, KAYLA
KETZ, KEVIN
KIAMCO, WARREN
KIMMETT, DALE
KRAH, MATT
LABONTE, RANDY
LANG, RICH
LEBLANC, FRANCOIS
LIBERMAN, MICHAEL
LIPES, BRIAN
LLOYD, GARY
LOMBARDO, HUNTER
MATARAZZO, RICK
McANDREWS, GREGG
McGONAGLE, TOM
McKINNEY, TRAVIS
McNAMARA, RAY
MICHAS, JASON
MICHAUD, AL
MILLER, ROGER
MILLS, DONNIE
MORRA, JOHN
MORRIS, RODNEY
MURPHY, SCOTT
NORMANDIN, DANY
PAO, CAROLINE
PARADIS, MARIO
PARENT, ALAIN
PENSGEN, PAUL
PETERS, FRANK
PETERSON, TOM
PETROV, IVAYLO
PHILP, RUSS
PICARD, PAUL
PIERCEY, JESSE
ROCHA, CLEITON
ROCKWELL, JEROME
ROMANOWSKI, JIM
SAEZ, ROBB
SALVETTI, TRAVIS
SAN SOUCIE, ED
SAUR, ED
SEE, HUIDJI
SHAW, JAYSON
SHLEMPERIS, DAVE
SHUFF, BRANDON
SIMONETTI, SCOTT
SINICROPI, JOE
SOBERS, DAMON
SOKOLOWSKI, GEORGE
SOSSEI, JEREMY
STEVER, PETE
STOTLER, STEVE
STRANKO, MICHAEL
STRICKLAND, EARL
TENNANT, ANTHONY
TOOHIG, MIKE
UDISCHAS, JIM
VAN BOENING, SHANE
VERGARA, MHET
VITALE, JOHN
WHITEHEAD, RANDY
WILKIE, SHAUN
WINTER, STEVEN
WORDEN, ESBON
YEDNAK, MIKE
ZIPPLER, THOMAS*

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wow, that is one strong field. It will take some great shooting to snap it off. I can imagine about fifteen of these guys hoisting the trophy.

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd say fewer than two dozen of those 128 have much of a chance to win the event.

And as for the Mosconi Cup, the list is missing half of the candidates: Schmidt, Deuel, Hall, and Bergman.

But it's always a well run tournament that works its way down to a bunch of good matches.

I wonder what's different about the facility, after their renovations. Anyone know?

rackemup20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just to clarify there is a winter turning stone this year dated are on joss tour website

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Nice turnout for sure, but no Ralf, Niels, Reyes, Ko's, Dennis O Biado, and many more from Asia. This is not good for the U.S. Open to fill 128 @ $700 or $750 (I forget). I think Barry only has about 35 at this time. Johnnyt

Last edited:

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say fewer than two dozen of those 128 have much of a chance to win the event.

And as for the Mosconi Cup, the list is missing half of the candidates: Schmidt, Deuel, Hall, and Bergman.

But it's always a well run tournament that works its way down to a bunch of good matches.

I wonder what's different about the facility, after their renovations. Anyone know?

Yes, I was expecting to see all of them under one roof. That's unfortunate. But it will still make for a great tournament and like you said, it always boils down to some classic head to head showdowns.

I'm hoping amongst the renovations are new seats in the stands. Sweating this tournament for ten to twelve hours at a clip, I've become a professional at finding a comfortable seat.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The lights on the tables will be a foot higher this year, to accommodate Dechaine's ego.

Yes, his ego is likely high. In the past month alone, he has beaten:

Darren Appleton at the CSI 10-ball
Johnny Archer, Mika Immonen and Dennis Hatch in the World 14.1
Justin Bergman by 9-4 in the Steinway 10-ball event
John Schmidt 9-4 in the Steinway 10-ball event

He has also beaten Earl Strickland and Jeremy Sossei pretty regularly in the 2014 Joss events and beat Van Boening in the 2014 Derby City 9-ball.

With that track record, why wouldn't the ego of America's second best pool player have grown in 2014?

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

He has also beaten Earl Strickland and Jeremy Sossei pretty regularly in the 2014 Joss events and beat Van Boening in the 2014 Derby City 9-ball.

With that track record, why wouldn't the ego of America's second best pool player have grown in 2014?

Mike has been playing very good past couple of years. Good for him. Big head comments are very jeuvenile and immature.

He's still not good enough for Mosconi Cup. Mark is sabotaging US chance at success. But let's not go there.

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member

With that track record, why wouldn't the ego of America's second best pool player(in the making), have grown in 2014?

Fixed that for ya !

Of the 4 "A-speeds" I know that should be here, there is only one. Must be a super-tough crowd !! ;)
I'll be there, not sure which day. Hoping for Sunday. :)

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

DECHAINE, MIKE
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
IMMONEN, MIKA
KIAMCO, WARREN
MORRA, JOHN
MORRIS, RODNEY
VAN BOENING, SHANE

Indeed a good list of candidates. However, most of it is 'dead' money.
I whittled the list down to those few who have a chance to win based on
their experience, maturity, and temperament.

Let's be honest, there are only a few players who are winning the big tournaments.
The excitement over all the 'big' names is always overrated when you have the names on my short list involved.

I'll give 2 to 1 on the money someone on my short list wins Turning Stone XXII this year.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

DECHAINE, MIKE
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
IMMONEN, MIKA
KIAMCO, WARREN
MORRA, JOHN
MORRIS, RODNEY
VAN BOENING, SHANE

Let's be honest, there are only a few players who are winning the big tournaments.
The excitement over all the 'big' names is always overrated when you have the names on my short list involved.

I'll give 2 to 1 on the money someone on my short list wins Turning Stone XXII this year.

That's a good list, and the odds are slightly good for you. What I love about the turning stone is the unpredictability of the draw, and of course the short races to nine. Johnny archer has won just by losing early and slicing through the loser bracket which if the draw is right, can be a paved road to the finals.

To leave archer, bustamante, and last year's winner strickland off your list takes guts.

Also the field is peppered with big name killers who get hot and can beat anyone. I watched joey dupuis take down Rodney Morris last year, very unexpected. Donny mills and Dennis hatch and Jeremy sossei are solid too, and a tough draw for anyone if met early on

DECHAINE, MIKE
HOHMANN, THORSTEN
IMMONEN, MIKA
KIAMCO, WARREN
MORRA, JOHN
MORRIS, RODNEY
VAN BOENING, SHANE

Shorten your list by 2 down to 5 and you can get action from me.

That's a good list, and the odds are slightly good for you. What I love about the turning stone is the unpredictability of the draw, and of course the short races to nine. Johnny archer has won just by losing early and slicing through the loser bracket which if the draw is right, can be a paved road to the finals.

To leave archer, bustamante, and last year's winner strickland off your list takes guts.

Also the field is peppered with big name killers who get hot and can beat anyone. I watched joey dupuis take down Rodney Morris last year, very unexpected. Donny mills and Dennis hatch and Jeremy sossei are solid too, and a tough draw for anyone if met early on

Don't forget Sossei, Shaw, And Oscar Domiguez as possible winners.

Then guys like Dupuis and Shorty can hit very high gears and just plain shock the world. By day 3 or 4 many players will run packages of 4 to 5. In a race to 9 that can make for a 2 to 4 inning set.