A question for everyone.....a survey of sorts

Vince_Former_BB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So.....here's what I want to know:
How much would you be willing to spend for a pool cue? It's that simple.

I'm NOT talking about collectible vintage cues or cues you're buying to hold onto until the cue maker dies.

I'm NOT talking about generic mass production junk.

I'm not talking about McDermotts or Predators or Budweiser or NFL or Falcon or Cuetec or Scorpion or APA or anything OTHER than that which comes from the hands of an actual cue maker.

I'm not talking about number of inlays or doodads or gimmickry or buttons and whistles.

I'm talking about the high quality custom cue you want to play with for the rest of your life; the cue you spoke to the cue maker about building to your specs.

How much??????

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm NOT talking about collectible vintage cues or cues you're buying to hold onto until the cue maker dies.

I'm not talking about McDermotts or Predators or Budweiser or NFL or Falcon or Cuetec or Scorpion or APA or anything OTHER than that which comes from the hands of an actual cue maker.

I'm not talking about number of inlays or doodads or gimmickry or buttons and whistles.

I'm talking about the high quality custom cue you want to play with for the rest of your life; the cue you spoke to the cue maker about building to your specs.

How much??????
$2000max........................

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say 600-750 ...and i want 2 shafts. No aftermarket LD needed.
I do not want veneers or inlays and i will pay extra $6 for no wrap.plain rings fine

So much depends on the maker though. Have i heard of him? Do we know his and the woods' pedigree?

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the rest of your life, huh? To play a game with truly unlimited options and challenges anytime nearly anywhere and hand down to future generations...considering the past decades and what I've spent (conservatively even) pursuing a myriad of other fabulous games and sports and hobbies....

10 grand.

~ K.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
If memory serves, I paid about $1100 (with shipping) for my Keith Josey. That was about 10 years ago. Haven't wanted to buy another cue since.

Hope that sorta answers your question.

Since I live in Oregon, I'm glad it didn't contain any ivory.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

How much??????

I would be interested in why ppl feel they need a cue that's more expensive than a predator, McDermott, Cuetec etc.?

Aren't there some really good pro's using said cues?

I've had my mass production cue for idk, ten years. Works great. The more I play it the more I know it.

What does a cue need to be for the player to play great?
Straight, good tip and the player's confidence in it.

That being said, I couldn't spend more than $5-600 and that would have to be exactly what I was willing to play the rest of my days.

I love beating ppl w expensive, pretty cues :grin:

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just had a 12$ brisket sandwich for lunch and it came with no sides. Roll was grocery store cheapo and there was less tha 6oz of meat on it.

Take a hundred off my range. I am feelin ripped off

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been in sales most of my life. $100 is a lot to some people and nothing to others and it has nothing to do with how much money you have or don't have. Some people actually put loving life ahead of money and to some money is life. The answer is all relative. In my case, I just spent $1400 on a custom and it was worth every penny to have a one of one signed and dated by a cue maker that I admire and who translated my ideas into the stick he made. I will never sell it. It will belong to my son one day. Nobody ever said on their deathbed that they should have spent more time at the office.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And really, where is the delineation point between a custom cue and a production cue? And other than bragging rights, is one always better than the other?

I ask because I have a McDermott being made right now. Cue of the month in kind of a custom color, but no big deal. I'm having then make a second shaft for me before it ships, and when I asked them if this shaft would fit other similar G-Core McDermotts with the same joint they cheerfully assured me it absolutely would not. I was surprised, but they insisted that the shaft and material around the joint had to be hand turned to match the butt and then polished and cleared.

Seems to me this is getting a little close to custom territory (I know, not exactly the same thing), but you still have a lifetime warranty.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would spend around $3000 I think. I haven't yet, but that is the high end of the range I'd consider. I have my name on the Southwest list so I'm sure it'll be around that.

I've considered some cues in that $3k range but just haven't pulled the trigger because I like my current cue and feel it was a great value at $1100 and I like playing with it and plan to do so for a long time.

And to answer another question somebody asked...I don't feel I need a cue that expensive or as expensive as my Runde at $1100....it doesn't make me play any better and I'm sure I could play equally well with a $200 cue. But I like my cue, I like nice things, and I can afford it and don't mind spending some money on activities that I spend a lot of time doing and truly enjoy. Having a nice cue does increase my enjoyment of the game to some extent. It isn't necessary to my enjoyment, but it certainly doesn't hurt!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I would spend around $3000 I think. I haven't yet, but that is the high end of the range I'd consider. I have my name on the Southwest list so I'm sure it'll be around that.

I've considered some cues in that $3k range but just haven't pulled the trigger because I like my current cue and feel it was a great value at $1100 and I like playing with it and plan to do so for a long time.

And to answer another question somebody asked...I don't feel I need a cue that expensive or as expensive as my Runde at $1100....it doesn't make me play any better and I'm sure I could play equally well with a $200 cue. But I like my cue, I like nice things, and I can afford it and don't mind spending some money on activities that I spend a lot of time doing and truly enjoy. Having a nice cue does increase my enjoyment of the game to some extent. It isn't necessary to my enjoyment, but it certainly doesn't hurt!

Well said! Yesterday, while screwing my cue together, a guy leaving at the next table said (snidely) that he didn't play well enough to have a cue like my Josey.

I replied; "Sure you do. All you have to do is write the check."

Kinda felt sorry for the wannabe wiseass...

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
If I didn't have at least a decent game and I'm playing w a $1000 or more cue I'd feel like the wannabe.

To each their own though.

For some money isn't a concern.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I have 4 on order at the moment. One is 2100, 3000, 2250 & 1800(+450 I paid for blank)