Calcutta Payout

So you are saying, i believe, that when you buy somebody in a calcutta you are not partners and they are on there own. I guess then you are ok if the player chooses to do the most profitable thing at the end, and look out for himself, then you are ok with that also.

How could he possibly do better for himself, by not winning (if he has half of himself in the Calcutta)? That makes no sense to me.

And we should probably acknowledge that it is true each of us can do pretty much whatever we want in the poolroom, it is true.

But you might not get invited back.

So, maybe if I would have tipped the tournament director 20% of the $400 I won one time (in a handicapped tournament that I played in for the 1st time, and had all of myself in the calcutta for the minimum starting bid), then he may not have banned me from the tournament, and told me that I could never play in it again? I wish that I would have thought about that. Kidding.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got a nice payday for Calcutta and the guy gave me a little over 10%

Hate to ask Walter :)

but did you take half your action?

or he was just a nice guy throwing you a bone?

I had half of the biggest one, I think it was 1k. I went for minimum bid too. Only had to borrow a dollar from 5 people and I was IN, baybeeee.:yeah:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, maybe if I would have tipped the tournament director 20% of the $400 I won one time (in a handicapped tournament that I played in for the 1st time), then he may not have banned me from the tournament, and told me that I could never play in it again? I wish that I would have thought about that. Kidding.

Yeah, that is a different discussion.

I think it would be bad business to stay eligible for that tourney in that manner. More for the TD than for you.

Crack is whack. People do some stupid things.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How could he possibly do better for himself, by not winning (if he has half of himself in the Calcutta)? That makes no sense to me.

The problems start when the two players agree to split. Depending on the payouts, a guaranteed split may be better than second place payouts if you lose.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are saying, i believe, that when you buy somebody in a calcutta you are not partners and they are on there own. I guess then you are ok if the player chooses to do the most profitable thing at the end, and look out for himself, then you are ok with that also.
..........."then you are ok with that also"

If it happens, it happens. I probably won't like it, but I'm ok with it. This is the nature of the business WE HAVE CHOSEN.
No....we are not "partners".
He better look out for himself, nobody else will. And I certainly don't expect him to look out for me.
If he dies in the clutch and I smell business or pressure, well then I just picked a lame horse. Too bad for me...that's why it's called gambling. It isn't some kind of 'democracy' or encounter group to get in touch with one's inner self.
There are simple and most effective methods to deal with that shooter in the future....non-confrontational and peaceful methods that are readily available to other bettors as well.
In a pool room, money talks...and baloney walks. :wink:
Keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
..........."then you are ok with that also"

If it happens, it happens. I probably won't like it, but I'm ok with it. This is the nature of the business WE HAVE CHOSEN.
No....we are not "partners".
He better look out for himself, nobody else will. And I certainly don't expect him to look out for me.
If he dies in the clutch and I smell business or pressure, well then I just picked a lame horse. Too bad for me...that's why it's called gambling. It isn't some kind of 'democracy' or encounter group to get in touch with one's inner self.
There are simple and most effective methods to deal with that shooter in the future....non-confrontational and peaceful methods that are readily available to other bettors as well.
In a pool room, money talks...and baloney walks. :wink:
Keep on truckin'

And with your attitude your money is walking with the baloney.
WOW.
Don't know what kind of pool rooms you hang in but i'd quit pool if i had to hang there. I prefer peaceful places where pool and gentlemen and friends meet and have positive experiences.

PS. It would be kind of fun to hear your " simple and most effective methods to deal with that shooter in the future ".

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you have two players that are partners and they own 100% of one of them and 50% of the other. When they get in the money or especially if they meet in the finals they come out ahead financially if the one they own all of gets first place.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And with your attitude your money is walking with the baloney.
WOW.
Don't know what kind of pool rooms you hang in but i'd quit pool if i had to hang there. I prefer peaceful places where pool and gentlemen and friends meet and have positive experiences.
PS. It would be kind of fun to hear your " simple and most effective methods to deal with that shooter in the future ".
I think I can see where this is headed.
If you're trying to pick a 'keyboard fight' with me.........sorry, it just won't work.
I expressed my opinions, you expressed yours.
I think it's best if we just leave each other alone. At least, I will do that on my end.
Take care, good health, and enjoy life.
Keep on truckin'

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have two players that are partners and they own 100% of one of them and 50% of the other. When they get in the money or especially if they meet in the finals they come out ahead financially if the one they own all of gets first place.

In this scenario the buyer is getting horse****ed no matter what. From what I know of poolplayers and what I've seen in this thread it doesn't matter if the buyer were to tip 95% of his 50% they're gonna cut him out.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this scenario the buyer is getting horse****ed no matter what. From what I know of poolplayers and what I've seen in this thread it doesn't matter if the buyer were to tip 95% of his 50% they're gonna cut him out.
I believe that.
Unfortunately, it 'goes with the territory' and will never go away.
I've said it before: That's merely an aspect of this business WE HAVE CHOSEN.
Keep on truckin'

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not with the player he bought in this instance. Said player plays to win and does win more than his share. Buyer made the mistake of not staying on his good side. Could have made a lifelong friend if he wasn't such a nit. A 10 dollar tip. A lousy 10 dollar tip to the best, most respected player from his area. Hell, a couple beers would have probably been enough.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anyone who doesn't understand this situation should consider any bet they make in a calcutta as pure charity and a give-away to the players and their partners.

At least the dumpee will get 50% of the second-place calcutta money assuming it's the finals that are sliced up.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nobody is trying to pick any fights with you...but your words are certainly suggestive of one who is defensive...and your refusal to partner with another is indicative of it.

I agree it is bad to put yourself in a position to get taken, but you cant go around with a 'fuk them before they fuk me' position.

I think I can see where this is headed.
If you're trying to pick a 'keyboard fight' with me.........sorry, it just won't work.
I expressed my opinions, you expressed yours.
I think it's best if we just leave each other alone. At least, I will do that on my end.
Take care, good health, and enjoy life.
Keep on truckin'

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not with the player he bought in this instance. Said player plays to win and does win more than his share. Buyer made the mistake of not staying on his good side. Could have made a lifelong friend if he wasn't such a nit. A 10 dollar tip. A lousy 10 dollar tip to the best, most respected player from his area. Hell, a couple beers would have probably been enough.

So the guy who's publicly bashing someone over a "lousy 10 dollar tip" is a stand-up guy and the guy who won't give it to him is a nit.

Gotcha.

And to be fair, you quoted me responding to a completely different scenario and made it applicable to the OP. Very misleading of you. I wasn't speaking of the guy in the OP, I don't know him. I wasn't saying HE would do that. I was speaking in regards to "Sixpack" in post 109.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the guy who's publicly bashing someone over a "lousy 10 dollar tip" is a stand-up guy and the guy who won't give it to him is a nit.

Gotcha.

They both could have conductd themselves better, but please review cOurse of events.

Calcutta entered. Money won/ split. Biatch about no tip. Biatch about biatch.

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They both could have conductd themselves better, but please review cOurse of events.

Calcutta entered. Money won/ split. Biatch about no tip. Biatch about biatch.

I'm perfectly aware of the course of events. I simply find it ironic that some people are calling the buyer the nit. If someone who just won $xxxx is pissing and moaning about a $10 tip then that is a nitty mofo. If you want to state the buyer is nitty for not giving the $10 I can't argue that. If it's about the money, then both parties are "nitty". If it's not about the money, it's about entitlement of money that doesn't belong to "you".

I'd venture a guess that the people on the side of tips should be standard are all VERY damn strong players and many of us on the side of no tips probably aren't. It's likely simply a difference of perception.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would i tip someone who didn't have the heart/balls/$$$ to buy himself? Selling him half,imo, is a courtesy in, of and by itself. I've been involved in calcuttas for about 35yrs and have never(see following tale) tipped a player if i won. Never had one issue/argument either. Most players are so strapped for cash they're tickled s^*tless that half is coming their way. Funny/true story: a local player had the tournament of his lifetime and placed second. He neither bid or went half on himself. Me and a buddy bought him CHEAP. We offered him 20% and he went BALLISTIC. This heartless p*^%k ran around the room calling us nits. He was so pathetic he basically got laughed out of the venue. Ahh, the good 'ol days.

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It was more a clarification of how it's done in our neighborhood then a bashing. And no names were mentioned in the original post