Table Speed

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Is it normal for a table to pick up speed as humidity increases? I always thought they slowed down when it got more humid. My table was normally 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 table lengths, now its about 5 1/4 tables lengths up and down. It also picked up a hop on the short rails, pretty much any speed the entire length of both short rails. It doesnt do it on the long rails. It could be dirty if that can cause it, I have not vacuumed it for around 6 weeks but it is always covered except for when I play. Thanks for looking.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heat could play a factor in the speed and the humidity could make the rails more grippy causing the hop. Just my uneducated guess.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Is it normal for a table to pick up speed as humidity increases? I always thought they slowed down when it got more humid. My table was normally 4 1/2 to 4 3/4 table lengths, now its about 5 1/4 tables lengths up and down. It also picked up a hop on the short rails, pretty much any speed the entire length of both short rails. It doesnt do it on the long rails. It could be dirty if that can cause it, I have not vacuumed it for around 6 weeks but it is always covered except for when I play. Thanks for looking.

Spray some armorall on a washrag, wipe the cushions down with it, and it'll break the friction between the cloth and balls, and slow down the cushions.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Spray some armorall on a washrag, wipe the cushions down with it, and it'll break the friction between the cloth and balls, and slow down the cushions.

I will give it a try, thank you. The added friction from increased humidity on the nose of the cushion is causing the hop, interesting.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I will give it a try, thank you. The added friction from increased humidity on the nose of the cushion is causing the hop, interesting.

The slight moisture in the cloth won't allow the object alls or cue ball maintain a forward spin on the balls as they come off the nose of the cushion which is what slows the balls down. The forward roll grips the cloth and tries to gear climb the nose of the cushions instead, lifting the balls slightly off the playing surface, then reverses its spin direction instantly giving the balls the illusion of coming off the cushions picking up speed.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Using the wrong cleaner on the balls will do the same thing, try some mop'n glow floor wax sometime.... you'll be blown away with how the balls react. Missing a cross side bank... the object ball will try and back tract to where it was banked from....LOL

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The slight moisture in the cloth won't allow the object alls or cue ball maintain a forward spin on the balls as they come off the nose of the cushion which is what slows the balls down. The forward roll grips the cloth and tries to gear climb the nose of the cushions instead, lifting the balls slightly off the playing surface, then reverses its spin direction instantly giving the balls the illusion of coming off the cushions picking up speed.

All I ever use on my pool balls is Aramith Cleaner, not the restorer because all 3 sets are relatively new. I clean them in my Diamond ball polisher.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
All I ever use on my pool balls is Aramith Cleaner, not the restorer because all 3 sets are relatively new. I clean them in my Diamond ball polisher.

The aramith cleaner builts up like clay in the Diamond ball polisher and matts down the carpet. It also rubs off on the pocmet facings and nose of the cushions as build up, which also creates friction. Take a look at the pocmet facings, you'll see the kind of yellow build up where the balls come into contact with the facings, thats because it still has carnauba wax in the formula. I've always used Meguiars cleaner wax in a paste can because it don't leave a build up.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The aramith cleaner builts up like clay in the Diamond ball polisher and matts down the carpet. It also rubs off on the pocmet facings and nose of the cushions as build up, which also creates friction. Take a look at the pocmet facings, you'll see the kind of yellow build up where the balls come into contact with the facings, thats because it still has carnauba wax in the formula. I've always used Meguiars cleaner wax in a paste can because it don't leave a build up.

OK, thanks. I will take a look at my facings. I dont use much cleaner on the balls, usually 1 drop on every other ball.

Wieguns

Banger
Silver Member

When you measure table lengths to judge speed, are you just hitting the cue ball with an approximate firmness, and watching it, or is there more to it then that?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I dont smash the ball as hard as I could but I do hit it pretty hard. I dont break real hard, only about 21 MPH at the most, I would guess I hit at 15-17 MPH when testing table speed, I dont hit it so hard that its hopping off the rails. It seems to produce more consistent results when you hit the ball nice and cleanly rather than hard, more like a break where you are focusing mostly on cue ball control.