advice for teaching an 8 year old

dcb1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello. I'm trying to teach my 8 year old daughter how to play pool and I'm wondering if there is any good advice you can give me. Is there anything online that outlines the steps to teach a child how to play?

I've taught her a stance and bridge but she has trouble hitting the cue ball solidly and her aim needs some work. (of course we've only played a few times)

Any advice would be appreciated. (note that I have a 42" child's cue that she is using that is about 9 ounces and the tip is pretty small...somewhere in the range of 8-9mm....not sure if this is helping or hurting.)

Thanks!

Vlado312

Registered
I think I started shooting around that age, maybe a few years older. But the thing I would recomend is to just play the game. Don't worry about stroke and stuff just play. And especially if you can get her to play with some of her own friends on your table. I quickly grew a passion for pool when I got a chance to play often with my friends.

mowermarty

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
kids learn to play pool

Dawn Hopkins has a book called Kids learn to play pool. Its 70 pages of good info with a lot of color on each page. Its great to start kids on.

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We learn best by copy and if it´s fun, so have fun yourself and she will enjoy the game.
Remember that to walk it´s much more complexed and we do that with ease.
Step by step, I would start with a easy game, just cueball and then add things when she wants.

Have fun:smile:

Chrippa