Checking Cushions

buc18

Registered
I have an Olhaussen that I am looking to recover and I am considering replacing my cushions as well. My table is over 20 years old and has the original Accufast cushions on it. I know these cushions are supposed to last a lifetime but to me it seems as if they aren't as lively as they should be. Is there a proven way to test to see if they are still up to standard. If I need to replace, then obviously when I get my table recovered is the time to do it. I just don't want to spend money unnecessarily if I don't have to.

BrownDawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most common is the glue has failed adhering the rubber to the wood. This is an easy fix.

Second is the rubber has become hard. Use a fingernail and push on the edge, it should come right back. If not, replace rubber.

Third is the rubber is just plain wore out. Worn rubber will have a rounded over appearance. Most common near the corner pockets.

buc18

Registered
Most common is the glue has failed adhering the rubber to the wood. This is an easy fix.

Second is the rubber has become hard. Use a fingernail and push on the edge, it should come right back. If not, replace rubber.

Third is the rubber is just plain wore out. Worn rubber will have a rounded over appearance. Most common near the corner pockets.

Thanks for the response! I just had someone recover my table this past week and when he removed the cloth off the cushions he showed me where the last people I had recover my table didn't remove the staples and left the old cloth under the staples. He said they do this to save time and it was very shoddy work. Needless to say he wasn't impressed with their work. But he said that leaving the old cloth on there and putting new cloth on top of it messes with the angle of the point of the cushions (even if we are talking fractions of inches). He checked my cushions before he started and said there was nothing wrong with them. So after it was all said and done, new Simonis 860 cloth installed and I am a happy camper. It is playing much quicker and I don't know if it's just in my mind but the rails seem to have picked up some life as well. It's all good!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks for the response! I just had someone recover my table this past week and when he removed the cloth off the cushions he showed me where the last people I had recover my table didn't remove the staples and left the old cloth under the staples. He said they do this to save time and it was very shoddy work. Needless to say he wasn't impressed with their work. But he said that leaving the old cloth on there and putting new cloth on top of it messes with the angle of the point of the cushions (even if we are talking fractions of inches). He checked my cushions before he started and said there was nothing wrong with them. So after it was all said and done, new Simonis 860 cloth installed and I am a happy camper. It is playing much quicker and I don't know if it's just in my mind but the rails seem to have picked up some life as well. It's all good!

If the rails had new cloth over some of the old cloth its possible that this was holding the nose of the cushion higher than it should be, that can make a table play slow.

buc18

Registered
If the rails had new cloth over some of the old cloth its possible that this was holding the nose of the cushion higher than it should be, that can make a table play slow.

Yeah. That's what he told me. I had a buddy come by and hit some yesterday and he noticed a big difference as well. So I know it's playing much livelier now. It's like I'm playing on a new table now. It's great!