Pool Quiz -- prizes

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the June issue of Billiards Digest, my column is a true/false quiz about various billiard topics. Answers are due at the end of July. If you would like to try it, here is a copy:

View attachment TrueFalseQuiz.pdf

(Question 2 should read "point S". Question 3 should read "left" rather than "right" for the "inside" English. I had a typo and a thinko.)

The quiz was inspired by some conversations between Bob Byrne and George Fels from 30 years ago in BD. First prize is two books by each of Bob and George and second is one from each.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you are going to try for the prizes, I need to have your answers by August 1st.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer to question 5 is to just make the ball the way Jim Rempe would do it. :wink:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw this in the magazine. Pretty good questions. I'd be curious to know the average score when everything is tallied up. I find it amazing that I know some incredible players that would miss a lot of these questions.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw this in the magazine. Pretty good questions. I'd be curious to know the average score when everything is tallied up. I find it amazing that I know some incredible players that would miss a lot of these questions.
99.99% of pool players have no idea who Walter Lindrum was in spite of the fact that he may have been the best cueman who ever lived. A lot of the top players don't know standard kinds of shots that were published years ago in Byrne's books.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
99.99% of pool players have no idea who Walter Lindrum was in spite of the fact that he may have been the best cueman who ever lived. A lot of the top players don't know standard kinds of shots that were published years ago in Byrne's books.

As usual, you are spot on! I would've loved to have seen Lindrum in action. His daughter wrote a great biography covering his entire life. It's called "The Uncrowned King", and though it gets slow here and there, it is a very good read, a fascinating life story.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
As usual, you are spot on! I would've loved to have seen Lindrum in action. His daughter wrote a great biography covering his entire life. It's called "The Uncrowned King", and though it gets slow here and there, it is a very good read, a fascinating life story.
That book by Jan Lindrum was actually about Horace Lindrum, who was Walter's nephew. There is a good biography of Walter by Andrew Ricketts.

There are a few film clips of Walter available on YouTube but they're just set up demos and such. Back in his day it was completely impractical to film a complete match. Today, anyone with a telephone can do it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the June issue of Billiards Digest, my column is a true/false quiz about various billiard topics. Answers are due at the end of July. If you would like to try it, here is a copy:

View attachment 463553

(Question 2 should read "point S". Question 3 should read "left" rather than "right" for the "inside" English. I had a typo and a thinko.)

The quiz was inspired by some conversations between Bob Byrne and George Fels from 30 years ago in BD. First prize is two books by each of Bob and George and second is one from each.

23 is a bit ambiguous, "The referee is not allowed to give any assistance to the player." what do you mean by assistance? Do you mean a ref can't answer questions posed to them? Handing a bridge to someone can be seen as "assistance" or moving a ball to be cleaned or off a magic rack.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
23 is a bit ambiguous, "The referee is not allowed to give any assistance to the player." what do you mean by assistance? Do you mean a ref can't answer questions posed to them? Handing a bridge to someone can be seen as "assistance" or moving a ball to be cleaned or off a magic rack.
Yes, some of the questions are ambiguous. It's allowed to explain beyond just T or F.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The answer to question 5 is to just make the ball the way Jim Rempe would do it. :wink:
I think you're referring to a particular Rempe story I've related in the past. In fact it was a long 10-times-fuller shot that he did on the first try which is a lot harder than the half-angle shot.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you're referring to a particular Rempe story I've related in the past. In fact it was a long 10-times-fuller shot that he did on the first try which is a lot harder than the half-angle shot.

Yes I was referring to the 10 times fuller shot. Maybe I didn't look carefully enough at the diagram. I thought that is what you were diagramming. -1 for me!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes I was referring to the 10 times fuller shot. Maybe I didn't look carefully enough at the diagram. I thought that is what you were diagramming. -1 for me!
Fortunately for you, this is an open book (and internet) test.:thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Today is the last day to send in answers if you want to try the test.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
That book by Jan Lindrum was actually about Horace Lindrum, who was Walter's nephew. There is a good biography of Walter by Andrew Ricketts.

There are a few film clips of Walter available on YouTube but they're just set up demos and such. Back in his day it was completely impractical to film a complete match. Today, anyone with a telephone can do it.

My bad, saw the Lindrum name and my head jumped straight to Horace. All of those Lindrums we're great, Walter, Frederick, Horace.... I'll find Ricketts bio of Walter and check it out.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Whatever happened with this?

I've been traveling and just finished scoring the submissions. The answers appeared in the August issue of BD and I will post an on-line version of the answers when I get home. The September issue of BD will contain some extended explanations and a correction. Tom Reece was Welsh (for question 12), and the WPA appears to have stopped the experiment with racking the nine on the spot at nine ball.

And the winners are…. Matt McMullen got the highest score (86/100) by searching for references for every question including some of my old articles and videos as well as links to Dr. Dave’s site. He gets four books by George and Bob. Neil Dryfhout took second with 83% and gets two books. Thanks to all participants.

Brian Crist (BC21 here) even made some videos of ball/rail hits.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been traveling and just finished scoring the submissions. The answers appeared in the August issue of BD and I will post an on-line version of the answers when I get home. The September issue of BD will contain some extended explanations and a correction. Tom Reece was Welsh (for question 12), and the WPA appears to have stopped the experiment with racking the nine on the spot at nine ball.

And the winners are…. Matt McMullen got the highest score (86/100) by searching for references for every question including some of my old articles and videos as well as links to Dr. Dave’s site. He gets four books by George and Bob. Neil Dryfhout took second with 83% and gets two books. Thanks to all participants.

Brian Crist (BC21 here) even made some videos of ball/rail hits.

Hah! Told you guys I wasn't as dumb as I look!

sending a pm Bob.

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Lindrum the balding guy that died young from a brain tumor? I've seen some YouTube videos where the 9 was racked on the spot and wondered why other than to make it harder to make the 9 on the snap.