New Diamond Pro or Pro-Am ?

Axis_of_Evil

Registered
I'm finally able to buy the 9' pool table I really want.

Which table would you guys recommend... Diamond Pro or Pro-Am?

It seems like the difference, other than asthetic, are:

Professional -
- more color/finishes to choose from
- 1.25" Italian slate
- bronze feet option

Pro-Am -
- 1" slate
- one piece slate -or- three piece

Correct me if I wrong... which one would you guys choose?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
id buy the one they use in the tournaments
if you ever decide to sell it
it should keep its value more
jmho

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Professional. However, there are many configurations you can get on it. Most of the pictures i see of it online are a commong configuration from 15 yrs ago, that in my opinion, was not to my taste.

Options include: the rail corner blocks where the pockets go can either be rounded or angled (angled looks way better IMO)

The feet come in a few options, with the older rounded style that goes all the way across, or the newer style with tapered box legs that have space between them.

Probably more options that I don't know about.

Unfortunately, Diamond's website does not show these configurations. They have a full color catalog flyer that shows the Professional in the 15 yr old rounded style made of oak. I haven't seen a color flyer from them of the newer styles.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I bought a Pro. Classic looking competition table. But if I had to do it all over again I would go with ....... the Pro:p

Attachments

• user22362_pic24_1236719608.jpg
    user22362_pic24_1236719608.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 829

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The pro looks much better, But I would go with the pro-am for the 1 piece slate. Much easier to keep level, and no seems.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
id buy the one they use in the tournaments
if you ever decide to sell it
it should keep its value more
jmho

This is debatable. The Pro Am is the main Diamond table used in tournaments but I don't think it has any reputation for being a better table than the Pro. My understanding is the main reason the Pro Am is used is because with the one piece slate it is easier to set up, a big plus when getting a venue ready. In addition, because the one piece Pro Am can be a pain or impossible to install in some locations (like with stairs or tight hallways), the potential market on a resale may be a little more limited.

Last edited:

shakey91929

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Professional -
- 1.25" Italian slate
- bronze feet option

Pro-Am -
- 1" slate

Thanks!
It all depends on the final cost. If it was me I would
buy the 4 1/2 x 9 ft. Gold Crown IV that I have listed for sale. It is one
of the nicest Gold Crown IV's in the country...and it's a lot cheaper.:smile:

brechbt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Professional all the way!!! Here's what mine looked like when I had it. DAMN!!!! I miss that table!!!!! http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=1492587#post1492587

Thanks, for looking. And, for the record when I have the space and money again I'll be getting another just like it.

Black Cat :cool:
Apologies to the OP for the off-topic response, but I just have to comment on the above post. Black Cat, that is the first time I've ever seen a photo of a table that had rails covered in a contrasting color to the bed. Very dramatic, interesting, and attractive. Giving me some ideas for my table.

firehawk

Registered

Professional -
- 1.25" Italian slate
- bronze feet option

Pro-Am -
- 1" slate

Thanks!

I think the Professional with the type 1 peds looks the best, IMHO.

The Pro-Am has ball return, the Professional doesn't. You can get the Professional with three piece or one piece slate. They will sell it to you either way.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
When RKC was installing my Diamond Professional in 2009 I asked him this very question. As I recall, he said that the Pro-Am has a more substantial frame and is built for commercial use while the professional is not. Perhaps he'll post on this thread and offer more detailed information.

bob c

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
When RKC was installing my Diamond Professional in 2009 I asked him this very question. As I recall, he said that the Pro-Am has a more substantial frame and is built for commercial use while the professional is not. Perhaps he'll post on this thread and offer more detailed information.

bob c

That's interesting because both the Pro Am and Professional are listed under "Commercial Tables" on Diamond's website.

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
I'm telling you what I recall. I also think he said that some of the support members of the Pro are made of engineered wood while the Pro-Am's are solid wood. This is what I recall--could be wrong, that's why I hope RKC posts to this thread.

Black Cat 5791

I get all the Breaks
Silver Member
Apologies to the OP for the off-topic response, but I just have to comment on the above post. Black Cat, that is the first time I've ever seen a photo of a table that had rails covered in a contrasting color to the bed. Very dramatic, interesting, and attractive. Giving me some ideas for my table.

Thanks, they thought I was a little crazy when I orderd it. But, after it was assembled Diamond even gave it props. Thanks for the kind words.

Black Cat :cool:

P.S. To the original poster my appologies also. :thumbup: