3 points

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What woods were you wanting? What color of veneers? What will the butt sleeve be like? I am actually thinking your three point idea would look better than four as far as the butterflies in between the v-points go.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
What woods were you wanting? What color of veneers? What will the butt sleeve be like? I am actually thinking your three point idea would look better than four as far as the butterflies in between the v-points go.

Flame veneer color initially was what I was thinking, but I love colorful butterflies, bright colors
I like bem and goncola aves,
I'm thinking extended linen so the butt cap is about 1-1.5 inches long,

Different looking but I think I'll like it

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I got the idea for the wrap from lomax
Incidentally, he put that wrap on a 3 point 3 butterfly cue he made

But he's way out of my price range

Attachments

• 17857410_1357195020990406_1980059605_n.jpg
    17857410_1357195020990406_1980059605_n.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 519

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got the idea for the wrap from lomax
Incidentally, he put that wrap on a 3 point 3 butterfly cue he made

But he's way out of my price range

PM my what you are hooping to spend. I never knew Steve to be expensive on his cues. I have always thought he sold for pretty reasonable prices. If I am not wiling to build it for your price I might can send you to someone else.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Who would make a 3 point cue or blank, I've been turned down by a few I've asked

Perfer blank

Is it that much more of a pain in the ass than 4 points?

Hi,

I built two 3 point half splice cues and because the wall thickness between the points at the bottom were so thin it was very difficult. The v grooves were past the center core of the cue at the bottom.

The 3 wide point geometry has a very striking look!

Rick

Last edited:

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And they came out great Rick:smile:.

Call you soon for our next adventure :wink:

Take care

Christian

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
And they came out great Rick:smile:.

Call you soon for our next adventure :wink:

Take care

Christian

Hey Chris,

Forgot to mention you were the inspiration for the idea and request for walking on the wild side with the 3 point wide geometry on these cues. I love the look. Not something you see.

After failing on the first attempt it lead to starting with a 13" forearm and cutting a 1" x .800 tenon with a 2" epoxied sleeve at the bottom of the points followed by a 11" handle piece creating the needed mechanical integretity for the joinery and a standard 12" wrap and forearm.

Thanks for pushing the envelope on this one. It was a lot of fun.

Happy Easter buddy,

Rick

PS:

I am shutting down my shop in Palatine this week as I am getting ready to move to Henderson Nevada.

After living in Illinois for 62 years it has become apparent that the corrupt politicians here think they can keep stealing all they can off the backs of us tax payers so I am voting with my feet.

Still got your museum grade exotic burl pieces and I will be up and running again by August, hopefully.

Last edited:

dzcues

Silver Member
If you ask for a 3 pointed cue and you want the point bases to be close to each other, with conventional 90 degree cutters and square points, the grooves would have to be cut well past the center of the forearm. That would require some recutting and a little larger cutter than some might typically use.
If you don't mind the gap between the base of the 3 points to be wide, then it is straight forward and less work.

Sometimes, the extra width can be put to good use. This 20 second video shows a 3 pointer whose gap is filled with butterflied veneers.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
3 points 3 butterflies

Kilby hooked me up

Attachments

• 20170523_182051.jpg
    20170523_182051.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 84