Installing Full Threaded Pins

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
What I did with a full threaded 3/8 x 10 pin was to bore the hole for a very snug fit.
This kept the pin as true as the bore hole.
Good epoxy and very failures ... easy to remove if ever needed.

For the shaft I would use a pilot style tap then a bottoming tap.

Willee

jollysailor

Registered
What I did with a full threaded 3/8 x 10 pin was to bore the hole for a very snug fit.

Willee

Hey Willee,

Thanks for the sharing. By boring the hole for a very snug fit, do you thread the hole to fit the pin? or you simply push the pin into the hole?

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Willee

Can you suggest a supplier for a pilot style tap and bottoming tap for the Atlas 3/8 x 10 pin?

I am not sure one is being produced.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Live boring and threading with barreled screws .

You still have to hold your work straight. That's the biggest problem, no matter what type screw you use. I know a few who don't instal the screw til after they start finishing the butt. Screw is not in straight. Say goodbye to those nice even Vee points. When you start sanding. :eek: :cool:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You still have to hold your work straight. That's the biggest problem, no matter what type screw you use. I know a few who don't instal the screw til after they start finishing the butt. Screw is not in straight. Say goodbye to those nice even Vee points. When you start sanding. :eek: :cool:

That must be why and how I sold dozens of centering jigs. :D

I have a new design for a joint screw that makes it easier to be square of the face and concentric to the outside .
Fabricator is taking a lot of time though.
He needs to modify his cnc screw machine set-up to do it .
I am hoping it will not be cost prohibitive .

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That must be why and how I sold dozens of centering jigs. :D

I have a new design for a joint screw that makes it easier to be square of the face and concentric to the outside .
Fabricator is taking a lot of time though.
He needs to modify his cnc screw machine set-up to do it .
I am hoping it will not be cost prohibitive .

Lol. I must be working to hard. I just use an indicator. :rolleyes:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Lol. I must be working to hard. I just use an indicator. :rolleyes:

You work too hard.
I thought you're good enough to eyeball 'em.

Don't worry, these will have threads.
Not the ninja no-thread hope it doesn't pull out kind.
Will still have the hated barrel. :grin:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You work too hard.
I thought you're good enough to eyeball 'em.

Don't worry, these will have threads.
Not the ninja no-thread hope it doesn't pull out kind.
Will still have the hated barrel. :grin:

It's a good thing you and I play nice. Or we would post the picture's we share.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Hey Willee,

Thanks for the sharing. By boring the hole for a very snug fit, do you thread the hole to fit the pin? or you simply push the pin into the hole?

No ... not threaded.
I would apply epoxy in the hole and on the pin, press it down into the hole, and rotate the pin to work the epoxy up thru the threads till it bottomed out then back it off 1/4 turn.

I dont know where to get a pilot tap ... I thought atlas supply had them.

Willee

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok....Why???

I take it back. I don't want to know why. It will only make me have less respect than I already do based on repairs I have done on the cues with the WONDER SCREWS. That's the joint screws being used with no threads at all. Just a solid shank.
Wonder screw? I wonder how long it'll stay in the Butt.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
I take it back. I don't want to know why. It will only make me have less respect than I already do based on repairs I have done on the cues with the WONDER SCREWS. That's the joint screws being used with no threads at all. Just a solid shank.
Wonder screw? I wonder how long it'll stay in the Butt.

Mike, I have always known you to speak your mind but in a courteous way with humility. I have to say this post comes across very condescending. This is below you, buddy.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike, I have always known you to speak your mind but in a courteous way with humility. I have to say this post comes across very condescending. This is below you, buddy.

Maybe. Would it be better to just throw the guys under the bus that do it? Not my style either but sometimes ????????.
Why are we here?
To help?
To educate?
To teach?
Or to just Bullshit because we might have 5 minutes to kill.
26 years and running for me doing this and I have made plenty of mistakes I wish I didn't do. I have repaired many mistakes, I wish others didn't do. I base my answers on that.

Last edited:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Maybe. Would it be better to just throw the guys under the bus that do it? Not my style either but sometimes ????????.
Why are we here?
To help?
To educate?
To teach?
Or to just Bullshit because we might have 5 minutes to kill.
26 years and running for me doing this and I have made plenty of mistakes I wish I didn't do. I have repaired many mistakes, I wish others didn't do. I base my answers on that.

Mike, none of that matters to me. I was only pointing out that you need a Snickers bar, buddy. You're not being yourself. :winknudge: