Broke my schon :(

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_1455.JPG

My schon broke when it slipped out my hand and fell on the floor at my pool hall. The floor was carpet and it didn't hit the table.

Is that weird?

I'm getting it repaired by schon for 400 bucks. It's gonna take like 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was the carpet made of some sort of Death Ray? Glad the folks at Schon are going to repair it. I probably would have charged you about the same as would most repair folks most likely.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
You caught the magic defect in the grain, lucky you :(

Hopefully that $400 gets you a brand new forearm and refinish, or new cue entirely!

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Bummer. My buddy had a Joss break exactly the same way, in the same area. Unfortunately, the more figure birdseye has, the more likely it is to break like that.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Bummer. My buddy had a Joss break exactly the same way, in the same area. Unfortunately, the more figure birdseye has, the more likely it is to break like that.

And that has happened to the biggest names out there even.
That's why I core BEM and curly maple. Even if they are straight grained.
Core's grain is 90* of the sleeve's grain when they are glued.

But, I gotta be suspicious about these that snap right there merely from getting "dropped".

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

How old was that Joss? They have been coring cues for a long time.

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A new butt should be what he gets. That a little too steep for a forearm repair.

It's not going to be a new butt. I was told they are going to put an aluminum rod inside the old butt. Cut off the broken part to make it even. Then add on a new forearm.

I was told it should be stronger than the original because of the steel rod.

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
It's not going to be a new butt. I was told they are going to put an aluminum rod inside the old butt. Cut off the broken part to make it even. Then add on a new forearm.

Stronger than ever and never hit the same.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
And that has happened to the biggest names out there even.
That's why I core BEM and curly maple. Even if they are straight grained.
Core's grain is 90* of the sleeve's grain when they are glued.

But, I gotta be suspicious about these that snap right there merely from getting "dropped".

My buddy's cue broke while playing. It didn't get dropped or bumped. He just hit the cue ball & his cue fell apart. I suspect it had been splitting for quite some time, the fracture growing a little bit with every impact. It was a 90's Joss, I believe.

bobalouiecda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon

Recently watched an episode of Forensic Files on cable. Man beat a woman with pool cue, and later stabbed her a few times to kill her. The cue was a Schon (Looked to be expensive LTD) It broke in a similar way. To most it looked like he had to hit her repeatedly to have the butt break. Probably hit her once and it fell apart. I have seen at least four Schons with quite unusual fractures. Wondered if treating wood could make it brittle. If cored it should not break easily with straight grain coring material. I guess the lesson to be learned is do not use a Schon for a weapon. Look for an old bar cue.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I hope it works out for you. Some things should be replaced not repaired and this is one of them. It will effect the future of the cue, especially if you ever decide to sell it.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Watched the same thing happen to a Gina....Guy let it fall on the carpet and it snapped in two.... You could have heard fleas humping....