Choosing good shaft wood

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys look for in good shaft wood? I know ring count - color . What would be your rule of thumb if I put 100 blanks in front of you or a couple 5/4 boards and told you to pick 5?

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you guys look for in good shaft wood? I know ring count - color . What would be your rule of thumb if I put 100 blanks in front of you or a couple 5/4 boards and told you to pick 5?

For me, it would be grain straightness before anything else. The last batch I bought was from Canada.

Edited to add that any wood in general has to have nice straight grain or I'm not buying. I love high figure as long as it has straight grain as well.

Last edited:

str8eight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grain runoff for the most part, dont really care about color. Sugar marks, high ring count is nice but not that important to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

louieatienza

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grain runoff for the most part, dont really care about color. Sugar marks, high ring count is nice but not that important to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Exactly... I've seen a lot of wood that's perfectly quartered, but has runoff....

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Picking from squares/boards is a crapshoot .
Turn them round and let sit for a while.
Picking the best after that is much more accurate.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Picking from squares/boards is a crapshoot .
Turn them round and let sit for a while.
Picking the best after that is much more accurate.

I don't know if all your cues are the same, but a guy over here has one of your cues and I ALWAYS comment on how perfect the shaft is. It is top quality wood and super smooth.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don't know if all your cues are the same, but a guy over here has one of your cues and I ALWAYS comment on how perfect the shaft is. It is top quality wood and super smooth.

Thanks.
They all get the same treatment.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would look for the dowel being straight, straight grain and tight grain. I would also look for it being clean of sugar or mineral marks. Then I would weigh it and want heavier weight.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
Question

I would look for the dowel being straight, straight grain and tight grain. I would also look for it being clean of sugar or mineral marks. Then I would weigh it and want heavier weight.

Clean of sugar and mineral marks for what reason? Purely asthetic or quality?

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Clean of sugar and mineral marks for what reason? Purely aesthetic or quality?

Yes. Purely aesthetics. But customers prefer pretty wood so if I get to pick the best five out of a hundred that is what I would be going for also. On the shaft wood I sell I do not pull the best out of the shaft dowels I sell. I pull the lower end stuff out of the #1 mix and send all medium to high end pieces in that mix. But once I start making tapered shaft blanks I do pull the best two or three out of a hundred for myself once tapered to about 16mm and I use the parameters mentioned in my previous post for choosing them.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
If it's straight grained, has the "tone" and probably most important doesn't move after it gets to 560 on the business end, the rest is purely aesthetics.
Certainly not going to put one into service that is peppered with mineral or sugar but I'm not going discount it on 1 or 2 minute marks.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
If it's straight grained, has the "tone" and probably most important doesn't move after it gets to 560 on the business end, the rest is purely aesthetics.
Certainly not going to put one into service that is peppered with mineral or sugar but I'm not going discount it on 1 or 2 minute marks.

What he ^ said