So what is considered a high end cue ?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
In another thread a member said he didn't consider a SW cue a high end cue .
Personally I thought SW cues were a high end cue just because of cost and waiting list .

Are collector cues that sale for thousands is that also a high end cue ?

Allot of cue guys can inlay ivory or some other expensive materials and that doesnt make it a high end cue .

I if I had give a value on the cues I own I would say 35 to 50 K
And the ugliest cue I own is worth the most.

The one cue I thought was high end may not really be that high end of a cue because resale was down on the cue ...

Pre omega cues sale for thousand and the guys who made them made the original SW cues and they are not high end ??

So what makes a cue High end ???

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In another thread a member said he didn't consider a SW cue a high end cue .
Personally I thought SW cues were a high end cue just because of cost and waiting list .

Are collector cues that sale for thousands is that also a high end cue ?

Allot of cue guys can inlay ivory or some other expensive materials and that doesnt make it a high end cue .

I if I had give a value on the cues I own I would say 35 to 50 K
And the ugliest cue I own is worth the most.

The one cue I thought was high end may not really be that high end of a cue because resale was down on the cue ...

Pre omega cues sale for thousand and the guys who made them made the original SW cues and they are not high end ??

So what makes a cue High end ???

To me, a "high-end" cue is any cue that I'm not willing to pay the asking price for. :)

I think a high-end cue is any cue that has a lot of "looks" and "extras" added (through ornamentation or workmanship) that does NOTHING to add to the playability of the cue.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to agree, 99% of Southwest cues are not high end.

The special SW which command top dollar, IMO, are high end. The 99% are pretty much a production cue. Good playability, but high end, no.

Pretty much like cars and women, when someone says they look great, but you have a different opinion.

Ken

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member
To me, a "high-end" cue is any cue that I'm not willing to pay the asking price for. :)

I think a high-end cue is any cue that has a lot of "looks" and "extras" added (through ornamentation or workmanship) that does NOTHING to add to the playability of the cue.

So you're saying the mid range and expensive predators are high end cues?

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
High end is not relative to $ imo

I.e. A regular standard Gus is about 7-10k still very expensive but a "high end" Gus can be 100k

High end to me is when a cue maker steps out of their simple designs and add exotic materials and construction. The price of the high end stuff for any cue make will be proportional to what their cues command

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I.e. A regular standard Gus is about 7-10k still very expensive but a "high end" Gus can be 100k

High end to me is when a cue maker steps out of their simple designs and add exotic materials and construction. The price of the high end stuff for any cue make will be proportional to what their cues command

Thats what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

Nice job Bob, I agree 100%.

Ken

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member

I was the one in the other thread who said most of the SWs were not high end.

I agree almost 100% with what you said here. I do feel that a few cuemakers (Gus, Searing, Barry, Showman, Bushka, and a few others are in the "highend" category with almost all their cues(not merrywidows) and their "highend" cues are in another world.
Jason

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you're saying the mid range and expensive predators are high end cues?

What I'm saying is, "high-end is mostly LOOKS and details in workmanship that usually has more to do with LOOKS than it does adding anything to how the cue plays."

That is MY opinion. Other people may have other opinions.

I have had custom cue makers make me cues. I have ordered two from Richard Black, back before he was a LEGEND in cue making.

I asked him what separated his cues from each other in reference to how they played. He told me basically what I just wrote in my first sentence here.

So, I guess he has the same opinion as me.

High-end cues, by the same maker, may have better quality materials than their cheapest cues. I ask that before I buy one. I want the SIMPLEST design with the VERY BEST materials. I have never ordered a custom cue with any type of inlay. Inlays are for looks only. If I want a cue that looks "perfect", with no flaws, to hang on the wall, I'll buy a decal cue with thousands of ornaments on it.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
high-end
adjective
denoting the most expensive of a range of products.
synonyms: top-line, deluxe, best, top of the line, superior, top-notch, top-end, top-tier, high-grade, upscale, upmarket, choice, first-class, first-rate, fancy; expensive, high-priced, pricey, costly, spendy

For me it changes meaning depending on context.

Any such thing as a high end Players cue? Sure, it's the top of their line.

In the end it's like the word "vintage"...tossed around a lot and meaning different things to different people under different circumstances.

I will say that generally when somebody says "high end cue" I assume it's something I can't afford even before I see it.

Often people use the term "high end" for fancier more expensive cues and "player" for more plain cues from the same maker.

Like: High end SW.

Can one call a SW cue high end? Yes. But any particular SW cue may not be high end when compared to other SW cues...or compared to some other brand of cue. So...it depends....

Some people fuss about terms. Some will fuss that I called SW a brand. LOL!

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I'm saying is, "high-end is mostly LOOKS and details in workmanship that usually has more to do with LOOKS than it does adding anything to how the cue plays."

I think most people use the term that way.

And they avoid calling a cue they like "low end" by calling it a "player"...just because "low end" does not sound nice.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
There's no such thing as a high end production cue...no matter what it costs. Just as there is no such thing as a low end Szamboti, Searing etc.
Jason

A high end car is a Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, etc. With very few exceptions is there a production car maker with a high end car in their lineup. Z06 corvette, nissan GTR yes. Escalade, etc. No. There's still Rangerover autobiography,Mercedes G 65, porsche cayane turbo

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no such thing as a high end production cue...no matter what it costs. Just as there is no such thing as a low end Szamboti, Searing etc.
Jason

That defies the common definition. So you are making a special meaning for pool cues. Which you can do. (apparently you do so for cars as well but I am limiting myself to the OP topic)

People mean it different ways, as has been said, and as you demonstrate.

Top of the line is synonymous with high end. Any individual brand or make has a high end generally. At least that is how the term is commonly used.

Personally, I would disagree, but you are free to use a term as you like. The hazard is of course miscommunication when people stray from common usage and definitions.

I would also take issue with you informing us as if your opinion were fact and not just your opinion. A bit of a faux pas...:wink:

But I am not so bothered really. :)

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason

A high end car is a Ferrari, Lambo, Bugatti, etc. With very few exceptions is there a production car maker with a high end car in their lineup. Z06 corvette, nissan GTR yes. Escalade, etc. No. There's still Rangerover autobiography,Mercedes G 65, porsche cayane turbo

Some people with "high-end" cues play "low-end" pool.

A good player can play "high-end" pool with a "low-end" cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no such thing as a high end production cue...

I'll add....people can't even agree on what a production cue is around here...so your definition approach is tenuous at best. :wink::grin-square:

In the end it just comes off as pretentious. :wink::)

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'll add....people can't even agree on what a production cue is around here...so your definition approach is tenuous at best. :wink::grin-square:

In the end it just comes off as pretentious. :wink::)

Call it what you want.....I'm making the rules on this one:thumbup:
Lol

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Some people with "high-end" cues play "low-end" pool.

A good player can play "high-end" pool with a "low-end" cue.

Glad I don't play low end pool:D

My playing cue is a Ted Harris "sneaky" which is not on the "high end" list. Love the way it plays though.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
I have seen plenty of high end production cues, and own quite a large lumber yard of such.

Until the recent price drop of cnc machines, only production cue companies had the capabilities of amazing 4 axis work. Apologies to Thomas Wayne of course. By recent, I mean the last 10-20 years.