Player Recruitment: Converting bangers to league players

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Billiards provides an active social life.

However billiard rooms are not a growth industry.
Attracting people to billiard rooms is needed.
Attracting people to visit billiard rooms regularly is ideal.

How can billiard rooms compete with lounges, vape cafes, hookah rooms, bars and clubs?

When I see young people in the billiard room with all their youthful behavior, it can be exciting for many reasons. But deep down I am hoping that the billiard hall just stays in business.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can billiard rooms compete with lounges, vape cafes, hookah rooms, bars and clubs?

To get "bangers" into the halls: Creative and effective advertising and marketing to non-players.

Look what the Color of Money did. That was "free" advertising and marketing. The pool halls exploded.

Why it is necessary to "convert" them to league players?

Last edited:

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The original post seemed to ask how to convert bangers into league players. It seems to me that being a banger myself I would prefer to learn how to become a skilled player. I have no burning desire to be in a league but I do have a strong desire to improve my pool skill set and become an outstanding pool player. I think most people that have a strong desire to improve their game along with a love for the game will invest in a table of their own. That will allow them to practice as often as they like whenever they want to and not have to worry about green fees. Even the cost of a brand new diamond pro am will pay for it self in a short time if you use it seriously.

If you are only saying to get bangers to join leagues simply to offer more financial support to the bar or hall they play in that is another topic. Honestly, I think bars and even pool halls that serve alcohol will make most of their money off the sales of alcohol. I also think that those other places like hooka lounges and nite clubs and vape shops make the majority of their money off selling their respective products at a high profit margin.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Seriously though, we live in a country now where people have no desire to be good, let alone great at anything.

It's a battle that will never be won. I think Fargorate is our last hope for getting people to want to improve.

I just wish Fargo would start their own league where .50c or $1 could be used every week for a legit pro tour. The "pros" would be required to do exhibitions regularly along with videos/lessons.

There would be pro am's at every pro tournament where the handicap would be used and all league players would be able to pay and play. There should be a final tournament of the year where am's could qualify and play alongside the pro's with everybody using their handicap for a huge payout.

This will grow excitement and numbers. I'd sign up today.

This way the league players are getting something for their $$$. Just think of a huge database of training videos they would have access to, along with lessons when the pros come to town.
Thats it for now
Jason

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To get "bangers" into the halls: Creative and effective advertising and marketing to non-players.

Look what the Color of Money did. That was "free" advertising and marketing. The pool halls exploded.

Why it is necessary to "convert" them to league players?

usually it's the league players trying to covert good players into bangers for the sake of sandbagging. it sounds jaded, but this is my honest experience.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
free beginners leagues. hope they catch the bug or at least buy something while they're there.

i honestly think you'd get more serious players by trying to get a single table in as many mma clubs as possible. then, you follow that industry's model.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the question is more like how to make people like playing pool vs just having something to spend time doing while they drink and try to get laid and get them into a bit of competition.

Teach them to play, grab them for local tournaments (my line is "it's OK to suck at the game, you play $10 and play free all night if you lose"), show them at least a basic stance and aiming line. If I see a few people at a bar talking about playing, I tend to ask them if they want in on the tournament, or if a few players are by themselves playing but are shooting at a D level, I can see they have fun playing but could use help, get them into the tournament. From there is just one more step to some lessons and turning them into regular players.

I have turned many a one-time random tournament player or someone that hangs around the area but does not play much into a regular by taking some time with them to show them shots or how to properly stand so your cue is not just waving in some random direction while shooting. If they see you do something neat like a long draw or spin shot, or kick or whatever and you show them that it's not that hard to do with a bit of basics, you will be well on your way to minting a new player.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the question is more like how to make people like playing pool vs just having something to spend time doing while they drink and try to get laid and get them into a bit of competition.

Teach them to play, grab them for local tournaments (my line is "it's OK to suck at the game, you play $10 and play free all night if you lose"), show them at least a basic stance and aiming line. If I see a few people at a bar talking about playing, I tend to ask them if they want in on the tournament, or if a few players are by themselves playing but are shooting at a D level, I can see they have fun playing but could use help, get them into the tournament. From there is just one more step to some lessons and turning them into regular players.

I have turned many a one-time random tournament player or someone that hangs around the area but does not play much into a regular by taking some time with them to show them shots or how to properly stand so your cue is not just waving in some random direction while shooting. If they see you do something neat like a long draw or spin shot, or kick or whatever and you show them that it's not that hard to do with a bit of basics, you will be well on your way to minting a new player.

The thing is that often I play with someone that does OK but has issue with staying still or aiming wrong or speed control, and I ask them "has anyone worked with you on your game ?" the answer is almost always No. I mean if you are hanging around a room and play with better players, the better player is almost responsible to teach the weaker one something. I don't think I have ever played a person that needed help without a tip or three at the end of the match. And I've seen others do the same. I've seen my 16 yr old son do that with a few people just this past Tuesday, I'm willing to bet those people will not only have more fun playing but they are also likely to be back to play since they not only know more but also are making friends in the room.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You beat me to it!

Maybe bangers should for their own league and tell APA types that they are elitist know it all's.
They already have, it's called BALLS. Bangers anonymous low level shooters. They start each night in a circle with just their first name and a story of horribly missed positional shots

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Jeff Rosen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The thing is that often I play with someone that does OK but has issue with staying still or aiming wrong or speed control, and I ask them "has anyone worked with you on your game ?" the answer is almost always No. I mean if you are hanging around a room and play with better players, the better player is almost responsible to teach the weaker one something. I don't think I have ever played a person that needed help without a tip or three at the end of the match. And I've seen others do the same. I've seen my 16 yr old son do that with a few people just this past Tuesday, I'm willing to bet those people will not only have more fun playing but they are also likely to be back to play since they not only know more but also are making friends in the room.
Excellent post. I'm pretty much between a D and a D+. I really appreciate when I'm practicing alone in a pool room and someone comes over to give me advice. I ask people if I'm not staying down as we sometimes pop up without realizing it. However, when I'm playing in the APA I really don't like when a better player calls time out when I'm in the middle of a shot as it throws me off to change my play even if it's good advice.
By the way, I happened to be practicing at Steinway earlier today a few hours ago (I like to practice at different rooms each time) and I saw Earl there practicing. I was tempted to ask him for a quick lesson (I know he's expensive but there's an ATM there) but I'm afraid I chickened out, LOL!! I did get to talk to him though, mostly about his 4 pocket table invention. He said he'd love to play straight pool on it.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Calling them names is a good start.

The rich folk that support the billiard hall so poor folk like me can enjoy it once a week.

Your right I will respect their wealth because without it, I'd just be shooting pool in the local senior center with a bunch of unpracticed shooters.

We need more ways to attract wealthy people to visit pool halls and spend time and cash there, bottomline assessment.

Does it sound better when I discuss them by wealth?

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Converting bangers to league players? Same thing isn't it?
Jason

Maybe from on top of the pedestals where you and other " serious " players players put your selves bar bangers and league players look the same..

Let me explain the difference

Bar bangers are just what the name implies....people who play in bars....mostly with friends to pass the time away when not trying to hook up with a bar fly. Most have just a passing interest in the game. Most have no interest in improving or buying a cue of their own.

League players have a lot more interest in the game. Most buy cue after cue looking for the magic wand that will make them play better. Of course that leads to cases for their cues along with countless other accessories like tip tools chalk holders etc etc. Some get interested enough to buy a home table.

Now before you jump in and say yea bbut they are still bangers let me tell you that a lot of them wind up taking lessons....buy books .....scour you tube for lessons and drills....ask advice from higher level players in league.

Yea some may never improve or ever reach what you deem an acceptable level of play but quite a few would rather improve than get their ass handed to them week after week..

I guess its hard to fathom that some people like me are willing to take a lesson from Randy g....ask Robb saez for a few tips...play masters as a lowly 5 to gain the experience of playing better players in a heads up race...play in a few non handicapped tournaments where they dont have a chance in hell of getting to the money rounds.

Bar bangers do none of the above and the number of league players that do all that and more would surprise you.

I hope you can see the difference now from high on your pedestal

Last edited:
Maybe from on top of the pedestals where you and other " serious " players players put your selves bar bangers and league players look the same..

Let me explain the difference

Bar bangers are just what the name implies....people who play in bars....mostly with friends to pass the time away when not trying to hook up with a bar fly. Most have just a passing interest in the game. Most have no interest in improving or buying a cue of their own.

League players have a lot more interest in the game. Most buy cue after cue looking for the magic wand that will make them play better. Of course that leads to cases for their cues along with countless other accessories like tip tools chalk holders etc etc. Some get interested enough to buy a home table.

Now before you jump in and say yea bbut they are still bangers let me tell you that a lot of them wind up taking lessons....buy books .....scour you tube for lessons and drills....ask advice from higher level players in league.

Yea some may never improve or ever reach what you deem an acceptable level of play but quite a few would rather improve than get their ass handed to them week after week..

I guess its hard to fathom that some people like me are willing to take a lesson from Randy g....ask Robb saez for a few tips...play masters as a lowly 5 to gain the experience of playing better players in a heads up race...play in a few non handicapped tournaments where they dont have a chance in hell of getting to the money rounds.

Bar bangers do none of the above and the number of league players that do all that and more would surprise you.

I hope you can see the difference now from high on your pedestal

I'm gonna try being nice with you.

You insult better players here. Say we are all hustlers and scumbags. Meanwhile asking us to thank guys like you for saving our game.

From players prospective we see our game changed into a shadow of its former self. The pool hall is as loud as a elementary cafeteria and full of people who don't respect the heirchy of the old world pool hall.

Pool is a game of kill or be killed. Pool shouldn't be a team sport. You go it alone , put up your best game and if you are good enough you reap the rewards. Anybody who works hard enough and has the talent can rise in the ranks. Hearing a guy like you, a professed APA 5 mock better players means nothing. In my world nothing you say means anything unless you will stepup, with money in your hand and try to back it up.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm gonna try being nice with you.

You insult better players here. Say we are all hustlers and scumbags. Meanwhile asking us to thank guys like you for saving our game.

From players prospective we see our game changed into a shadow of its former self. The pool hall is as loud as a elementary cafeteria and full of people who don't respect the heirchy of the old world pool hall.

Pool is a game of kill or be killed. Pool shouldn't be a team sport. You go it alone , put up your best game and if you are good enough you reap the rewards. Anybody who works hard enough and has the talent can rise in the ranks. Hearing a guy like you, a professed APA 5 mock better players means nothing. In my world nothing you say means anything unless you will stepup, with money in your hand and try to back it up.

Since you say you were going to play nice weather th mw in your post I will do the same with you.

Post after post on this subject I have read where league players are called idiots....stupid....dumb.....play kiddie pool and the obligatory banger that is always omnipresent is such posts.

Now you feelings are hurt after I say you guys put yourselves on a pedestal....probably did call you hustlers but I never even insunated you were scumbags.

Since I am being nice I must apologize for my fellow league players actions if they behaved lil you said they did. If you are ever in Memphis come to hi pockets on any night leagues are playing and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the difference from your previous experience.

Hope my apology subsides your hurt feelings.