Compiling a "curriculum" for very beginner players

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello!

Some of you may remember me, I posted a video of me playing about a month ago. I got some heavy critisism and in great shame I instantly took the video off. :p

Anyway, I live in a very small town, almost a village, and we have a top-notch youth centre here for young people. They have all kinds of after-class activity rings there.

Now the manager has contacted me, and has offered me to guide young beginners once or twice a week, about 1 hour at a time.

The table is a solid 8 foot, a couple of months old table with tight pockets.

The kids I would be giving instructions to, are all 13-17 years old, and most of them have maybe played 0-20 games of pool in their lifetime. None of them have the ambition to become pro players, they would just like to know more about the game.

What I am consered about, is teaching them something that is awfully wrong. Although I am probably the most experienced young player in vicinity, I have basically zero pool education when it comes to fundamentals and more.

My idea when managing these young people would be to awoke interest in pool, and if they take off, they can obviously look someone more experienced to help them develop their game.

What do you think, which are the basics I could teach them in a classroom and at the table, besides the rules of different games?

What I am really looking for, is someone who has guided very beginner players, and is willing to share some tips with me. Any input would be nice.

This position I am probably going to take, is of course voluntary, and only includes some benefits (can play pool when the house is closed, use high-tech computers for personal stuff, maybe sometimes go to a sightseeing tour with the youngsters, etc.)

Thank you.
Margus.

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Margus...IMO your kids need visual references to help them (and you) develop good fundamentals. PM me your address, and I will send you a complimentary set of our instructional videos.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

pool101

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pm me your address and I will send you a Pool 101 Package and Trainer.
Mark

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott's video will help your students develop the strong fundamentals for their stance, stroke and follow through. I strongly recommend you take him up on this offer.
By the way, what was wrong with the video you posted? Why did you receive criticism?
Good luck with teaching the kids.

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott's video will help your students develop the strong fundamentals for their stance, stroke and follow through. I strongly recommend you take him up on this offer.
By the way, what was wrong with the video you posted? Why did you receive criticism?
Good luck with teaching the kids.

My video was a one hour continuous clip of me randomly shooting balls. Didn't really know how video analysis worked.

And thanks!

Autist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wanted to publicy thank Scott Lee and Randy Goettlicher for sending the free DVD's! I will work through the DVD's and then, hopefully, can teach my pupils something.

Kindness like Scott Lee showed doesn't come by easy.

Here is a picture of one of my groups with me on the left. They were very happy when I showed them the DVD's. :)

picture.jpg