Need some help with my break shot, please.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Can you elaborate, Fran?

You say to work on where he is striking the cue ball, but not to mess with his timing. I always thought the two were very closely related?

I'm not speaking for Fran, but in my experience,the two are related, but take place at different times. Determination of tip placement takes place during warm up strokes. That is the reason we do them. When the warm ups are complete, that is when you are ready for the final stroke and delivery of the tip to the cue ball. The timing/rhythm of the stroke needs to remain consistent.
Steve

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you elaborate, Fran?

You say to work on where he is striking the cue ball, but not to mess with his timing. I always thought the two were very closely related?

If changing the tip placement on the cue ball disrupts one's timing, then players would be disrupting their timing with every shot they shoot during the course of a game.

However, there are psychological issues that can affect timing, such as any type of change to something that's been done exactly the same way over a long period of time. For some ---- just the idea of making a change can create an out-of-sequence thought or event that would affect timing. It really depends on the player as to the possible effect and how long the disruption might last until they gain confidence with the change. A less-confident person will create a longer disruption period. A confident, open-minded person will be more adaptable.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking for myself I if I miss hitting the rack square I favor hitting it a bit thicker with low and a half tip of left. It increases my chance of making the one in the side and I don't lose the cue ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but here's the rub: The one ball is the only ball that you know for sure where it will be placed in the rack (other than the 9, of course). The next lowest numbered ball could wind up anywhere on the table.

To be a great breaker, you have to have several weapons in your arsenal. Tables break differently --- rackers rack differently --- from one to the next. If one way doesn't work, then you have to pull out a different weapon. I think the one-in-the-side break is one of those weapons to try if you aren't succeeding in making a ball on the break.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Yep, which is why it is important to keep the cueball movement controlled and in the middle of the table, to increase the odds of you having a shot on the next lowered number ball.

True, but here's the rub: The one ball is the only ball that you know for sure where it will be placed in the rack (other than the 9, of course). The next lowest numbered ball could wind up anywhere on the table.

To be a great breaker, you have to have several weapons in your arsenal. Tables break differently --- rackers rack differently --- from one to the next. If one way doesn't work, then you have to pull out a different weapon. I think the one-in-the-side break is one of those weapons to try if you aren't succeeding in making a ball on the break.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, which is why it is important to keep the cueball movement controlled and in the middle of the table, to increase the odds of you having a shot on the next lowered number ball.

Can you make the one in the side and keep the cb in the middle of the table?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Can you make the one in the side and keep the cb in the middle of the table?

My best results for keeping the CB in the center are full in the face, but then I am not trying to make the one.

Playing to make the one in the side, causes the CB to move more, toward the side rail and off. It can get hit easily by another ball, and end up who knows where.

I don't prefer it, I rather play position for the one since I know where it is going. But as you know, making a wing ball is difficult sometimes, if you don't use a rack template.