To get a new cue or not....

Nickmast

Let me start out giving you a little information about myself before I start asking questions.

My name is Nick. I'm 32 years old, playing pool for about 10 years and just your average bar pool player. I can run 8 ball racks and 9 ball racks or I can suck it up with the rest of them. I don't frequently play but I'm trying to change that. Pool has always interested me and I have spent lots of time at the tables even though I don't play a few times a week. I currently play with an old mid 90s Mali Cue, that I have had for quite some time, that I recently equipped with a Moori medium tip. While I know it's not the greatest, it's better than shooting with a bent house cue.

Pool has been entering my mind as of late as a different hobby to take on and found my way here when I was looking for billiard forums and cues. Little did I know that there was so many cue makers and collectors out there. I always knew there were expensive cues out there but holy hell!!

Now down to my questions.

Do you think a player such as myself would benefit from buying a new, more expensive, better hitting cue? I'm not looking to start collecting cues but gaining the tools to help me play and learn more about the game.

and on that note..

How would you rate the lower end cues as far as hit and feel? I'm talking about $200-$500 production/custom cues such as Mali, Meucci, Pechauer, Joss, Schon, Viking, McDermott, Cuetec, etc. While I love the look of the more exotic materials and details, that is not the most important to me. The playability is what I'm looking for. Can you recommend certain aspects of cues to look for that make it a better hitting cue than the others?

I can sit here and ask a billion questions but I figured I would just start here and see the responses I get while I cruise around the forum and soak up the wealth of knowledge that you guys bring.

Thanks!!!!

~Nick

****Will a mod please move this to the main forum?****

Last edited:

matcase

Blondie's #1 fan
Silver Member
Really nothing with you ol mali, but hey, If you have the means and interest, get a new cue. I like Joss for the money you are talking. Many good choices though. One thing. It is a bad time to resell if you are unsure....buy=keep. good luck

discocincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
used cue

for the money, I would say you would get way more for your money by buying a used cue. The first thing you need to do is go somewhere and see what kind if hit will suit you better. Now for the money and for the playability I always prefer a Schon cue. and you can pick them up for under 500 usd all the time. Just don't over pay for one.. I seen one STL he was asking 500 dollars, way to much. Now I did see a good Schon on ebay for 499 dollars including shipping. When it comes to buying a Schon if you look and ask the right people you can and will find a good buy. If you would like any real serious help send me a message and I would be glad to help you. I just paid 350 dollars for a CX53 with 2 shafts. Retail would have been over 700 dollars for it all. So again all you have to do is look and ask. It can always be a good idea to start hanging out in your local pool room, get to know a few people and wait around for someone trying to sell their cue in there. That is by far the best way to pick one up at a good price.
Well good luck. hope this info helps. btw Schon is not a production cue. it is and always have been a custom cue.

Last edited:

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member
I don't call Schon a custom cue. Their cues are, however, produced in low quantity that some of us might consider them custom.

Nick, it's nothing wrong with an old Mali. If you have the dough to spend, and you're convinced buying a new one might better assist your game, then I'd recommend Mezz. Schon is good, but Mezz is better, IMHO. Having a new cue means you have something new to learn. Each cue exhibits different characteristics, and those must be learned before a player can fully appreciate what the cue has to offer. Low deflection (LD) shaft has been the norm now, so if you like the feel of your Mali, then buy an after market shaft that can fit into the butt. Mezz, predator, OB, and many other companies now offer LD shafts.

Hi Nick,

Well man as your going to find out everyone has a cue brand that they prefer over another and they will bash other makers to make the one they paid for and play with sound the very best same is true about LD shafts. Truth is its no different then one person liking a ford or chevy and another liking a dodge. While others will say the only way to go is bmw and all the rest are junk and a waste of money. Same is true with pool cues. Mali is a decent American made cue. If its in good shape and you like the way it feels in your hand but want to freshin it up consider having the shaft cleaned up by a cue maker or buying an after market shaft for it. I prefer McDermotts myself just my taste and what I like. I have always played with a McDermott cue. If you want to spend a few hundred bucks (300-500) you can get a very good one with a LD shaft standard and a lifetime warranty. Oh and don't believe the BS schon are not custom cues they are production cues. Meaning they are not each one of a kind as would be implied as saying custom. I know a few people who own the same exact schon so custom not quite. Mildly produced is a more truthful statement. Good luck.

TDub

I get the 8!!!
Silver Member
Hi Nick

I thought I would throw my two cents in as well, I recently sold my main player and it was a Schon. I loved the feel and hit of that cue, very stiff but I love that feel in my hands. I beleive the pros would call that feedback. I sold it and tried to to play in the playoffs of my league with my buddies cue, could not make a ball. What you are use to and comfortable with makes a difference. But like everyone else here has mentioned, it is truly personal preference. You have get out and hit these cues and decide for yourself what you like. Even though I loved my Schon and would take another in minute, I would agree they are still a production cue. They might not make as many of one model but they are still produced the same way. Hope my rambling helps in some way.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My best shooting cue is a Cuetec from 1998 ($150). It's what you feel comfortable with.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Your old Mali is probably as good a hitter as there is. That said, a new good quality cue can really rejuvenate your game...something you're proud of, enjoy, etc. Every time I've gotten a new cue, I've added several balls to my game, mainly in my mind, but that's where 90% of the game is, anyway. For the money you're talking about, McDermott is probably the way I'd go; it will feel a lot like your Mali, they have a lifetime guarantee, and they still hit great. Joss is a great cue, too...lots to choose from in that price range. A better made cue than McDermott, although you really can't tell. Schon is the best made (and Mezz is great, too), but you're probably going to need a little more cash. I wouldn't buy a used cue...that's just me. I've only ever bought a used cue once (a custom GEM), it turned out great for me but I've seen guys get burned, so unless you find an unbelievable deal I'd just stick to getting a new solid production cue. After you've tried a few customs out, you can then set your sights on one of them...but then you're approaching 4 digit price range...

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Nick,

Well man as your going to find out everyone has a cue brand that they prefer over another and they will bash other makers to make the one they paid for and play with sound the very best same is true about LD shafts. Truth is its no different then one person liking a ford or chevy and another liking a dodge. While others will say the only way to go is bmw and all the rest are junk and a waste of money. Same is true with pool cues. Mali is a decent American made cue. If its in good shape and you like the way it feels in your hand but want to freshin it up consider having the shaft cleaned up by a cue maker or buying an after market shaft for it. I prefer McDermotts myself just my taste and what I like. I have always played with a McDermott cue. If you want to spend a few hundred bucks (300-500) you can get a very good one with a LD shaft standard and a lifetime warranty. Oh and don't believe the BS schon are not custom cues they are production cues. Meaning they are not each one of a kind as would be implied as saying custom. I know a few people who own the same exact schon so custom not quite. Mildly produced is a more truthful statement. Good luck.

Very good post. Pretty much says it all. I will throw in my 2 cents.
I have a Lucasi and a Pechauer.
Lucasi is a good solid cue but I would keep it under $200
Pechauer is better cue then the Lucasi so spending more would be worth it. Just my opinion based on what I have. And I think most people would agree that you can not go wrong with a Schon.
And there is nothing wrong with an old American made Mali. I had one and wish I had it back.

plshrk22

A Holes Billiards
Silver Member
Its a money pit once you get started... You will want to keep on trying cues. If you have the money to try a few custom cues for sure do it just because its fun. I do shoot with a custom cue but for 10 years I played with a Meucci Original. I am a firm believer that it is the Indian not the arrow.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$200-$500 production cues... same hit different looks

Hello,
One thing that I have noticed with a specific brand of production cue is that when sticking to the same brand, the cost difference doesn't make it play/feel any better. I hit a good bit of cues at the local retailer and went from weight to weight and brand to brand when I decided what "brand" of cue to go with. I ended up finding a cue that "felt" right in each brand. I had a Joss for my previous purchase, so I stuck with that brand.

The only real reason I wanted a different cue was I could not get the weight lowered on my 95-9, due to the Phenolic butt sleeve and no weight bolt. I ordered from the net to get the style I wanted when I determined the brand at the local store.

I have never shot with a Schon, honestly, for what I liked at the time, they were more than what I wanted to spend.

I own a Mcdermott D-4 (various weight bolt range... changed out myself), Joss 95-9 (20.6 oz--not able to be lowered--no bolt), and a Joss JOS-34 (19.25 oz). The Joss cues pretty much all hit about the same to me... no matter what the cost. If I bought another production cue I would look at Pechauer or Schon (wood quality and workmanship). I had bad experiences with other cue brands when I ordered my last cue on line. I sent one back for poor finish around the inlays and the other had issues with the shaft collar being off center... it had a gap between the shaft wood and phenolic ring. What great quality checks they had...:angry:

I have never heard anything bad about Pechauer or Schon for quality issues.
I will say this, I prefer to get a production cue from off the rack at a local shop.

FWIW, I am currently waiting on a Dzuricky custom. He offers sneaky's under your price range. Contact Bob or some other cue maker's out there. Maybe you can get a deal on something, you never know. I think you could get a used cue with more inlays and the same playability if you shop around here.
Good Luck

Saint

Registered
Nick,

I was pretty much in your same position when I bought my first 'real' cue (and I'm back in your position now after 5 years off hehe). I did a lot of research back then and ended up buying a Schon. I absolutely love it and will probably stick with them from now until I have ungodly aounts of money to spend on cues.

I do also agree with the guys here who have said it's the cue you are most comfortable with and all of that...but for my money it was a Schon and I have no hesitation in suggesting them. I even bought a predator shaft at the same time and went back to using the Schon shaft because I preferred it.

I also hate to sound like a broken record and like I am Erik's cousin or something, because I'm not, but I bought my cue from Erik who is a poster here and he made me an excellent deal. I am sure Erik can get you into a nice cue for what you are wanting to spend. I'd definitely at least give him a shot at it.

http://www.erikleecues.com/

PS - if you do buy from Erik send him to this post because I'm getting ready to get another cue soon and can use all the help I can get at a good deal ;)

--Saint

bdcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Mali you have is probably capable of making any shot you can think of so why change. When you get so good that you feel the cue is not performing up to a standard than go look for a different cue, and keep trying cues until you find one that will make the shot your trying to make and feels comfortable in your hands.
In the mean time pick up every cue, with the owners permission, and hold it. Feel the balance, weight, shaft tapers. Does it feel solid? Does it feel like all the weight is in one place? Is it butt heavy? Front heavy? Does it disappear in your hand when you do a practice stroke? If the owner lets you hit a couple of balls what do you feel? A thud or does the cueball seem to go further than you expected from your stroke speed? Does your grip hand vibrate excessively on contact? Do you see the joint/forearm area move if you hit the cueball sort of hard? Does the cue just seem to go right through the cueball?
When you can answer these questions then you can begin to tell what cue you might like, no one can give you the answer.

Bob Danielson
www.bdcuesandcomix.com

plhlolelnlilx

F.I.S.H.
Silver Member
I've either shot w/ or owned more than one of the following-

Schon: Excellent hit and probably the highest quality production cue available.

Jacoby: This company is NOT a production cue! They do have jump and break cues that are made and sold in higher quantities but they will build to your specs and Jacoby cues hit as well as any other. My first experience with Jacoby was disappointing but I have recently changed my tune. I would recommend to anyone.

Jackson: The only downside is they do not specify or express a given warranty and I have encountered an instance where after about 10 years, the finish on one of the cues had a problem I can't even explain. They will expect you to pay for any repairs.

Lucasi: If you're looking to buy new and to keep a budget in mind, Lucasi is unbelievable! Of course I feel it may be slightly inappropriate to directly compare with Schon but honestly, the feel is nearly the same and you are typically only sacrificing the intricate inlay work. You really can't go wrong for the price.

McDermott: My first cue was a beat up old McDermott D series and I couldn't have thought up a better way to spend $50.00. I prefer any wood on wood joint and McDermott offers a high quality cue with great feedback for very little investment. Lifetime War + 2x year Maint!

There are obviously more brands that can be listed but these are what I have extensive experience with.

I would advise you to narrow down whatever options are afforded to you via Az and then search for a cue that meets your specifications and price requirements. Do not be afraid to search for used cues. Some of the best outlets are E-bay or Craigslist.

If you decide at any point that you would like to move forward and McDermott is your choice, please feel free to send a private message and it's highly possible I can help you get a great deal factory direct.

twal

"W"
Silver Member
As another had posted, it is the Indian and not the arrow.
If you want to get a new cue because you want a different feel etc... Then yes, get a new cue, someting you enjoy looking at.
Know that realistically other then getter a low deflection shaft it will not perfrom any better than the one you have right now.
If you want to enjoy the game more, may I suggest some lessons.
The big question there is are you ready to setp you game up and commit to getting better.
I see players go down just as qucikly with a $100 cue or a $1,500 cue.
Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ozone and Billiardwarehouse have very good return/exchange policies if you do not like what you just bought.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Mali

OLD Mali
wood to wood joint what a nice hitting cue
i have a very hi respect for how a mali hits
happy hunting
mike:D

Loin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pechauer gets my vote!
Since I started playing again about 9 months ago, I've been through a Dufferin, a Meucci, a Meucci Maximum, a Predator and 3 McDermotts. I was looking into buying a Schon when I read so many reviews on AZ that said Pechauers hit simlar to Schons. I picked up a new Pechauer JP on AZ for $150 and then a used Pro w/ 2 shafts for $225. If you are looking for a cue that shoots well without some fancy design and is fairly inexpensive, the JP is the way to go. The JP and Pro feel the same to me.
Good luck with whatever you choose!

skinnymg1

Registered
I'd say shoot with your Mali for now. Anytime you get a chance to hit with a used cue that is for sale hit with it. Trust me on this one, when you hit with the cue that suits you, you will know it. It's like they made it just for your hands. Let the cue find you, and be patient waiting. Best of luck to you.