Improving Stroke Quality

dizAndyVan

Registered
My stroke is pretty much how i want it with the exception of my inability to consistently accelerate through the cue ball leaving me with poor follow, draw, and extreme english.

Are there any drills or exercises that improve your ability to consistently accelerate through your stroke?

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Scott Lee is scheduled into your area soon.

Have Scott show you the SPF system.

Thanks
randyg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's correct! In fact I am planning a 3-day pool school for the Los Angeles area for November 18, 19 & 20. I will also be doing some private lessons in the days before the school. Anyone interested can PM me, or give me a call.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com
773-551-7473

Scott Lee is scheduled into your area soon.

Have Scott show you the SPF system.

Thanks
randyg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My stroke is pretty much how i want it with the exception of my inability to consistently accelerate through the cue ball leaving me with poor follow, draw, and extreme english.

Are there any drills or exercises that improve your ability to consistently accelerate through your stroke?
I'm not clear on your problem. Can you get good power? For example, if you shoot straight up and down the table, can you hit the far end rail 3 times?

What happens when you try for power draw?

What happens when you try of lots of side spin?

It may be that the timing of your acceleration has little to do with your problem.

dizAndyVan

Registered
I'm not clear on your problem. Can you get good power? For example, if you shoot straight up and down the table, can you hit the far end rail 3 times?

What happens when you try for power draw?

What happens when you try of lots of side spin?

It may be that the timing of your acceleration has little to do with your problem.

I can get power when i need it. If the shots within half a table i typically draw the cue ball a table length to maybe 1.5 table lengths and then i usually draw short for full length power draw. If i need extreme sidespin to carry the cue ball down table or kill it off a rail, i usually dont get enough spin and over/under run position.

However i'm not talking about powering through the ball to get lots of spin, but rather maximizing spin with lower speed shots. In fact, this came up because of some of your drills (as described by forcefollow here). It's easy enough when the balls are very close together or when they're both close to the head rail but it's become difficult to consistently successfully do this when the balls are moved up or farther apart.

So (other than the two exercises described above) is there a way to improve on technique for off center shots? Either through more drills or physically (via stroke trainer or some other method)?

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
The key to getting more spin on slow speed shots is to hit the right spot on the cueball, with a quality stroke.

For draw shots this has to be as low as you can go, without hitting the tip on the cloth. To maximize rt or left english, the same principal apples.

Use a striped ball for the cueball, setup your shots and observe where the chalk mark is on the ball.

It is likely you are not hitting the ball where you think you are.

I can get power when i need it. If the shots within half a table i typically draw the cue ball a table length to maybe 1.5 table lengths and then i usually draw short for full length power draw. If i need extreme sidespin to carry the cue ball down table or kill it off a rail, i usually dont get enough spin and over/under run position.

However i'm not talking about powering through the ball to get lots of spin, but rather maximizing spin with lower speed shots. In fact, this came up because of some of your drills (as described by forcefollow here). It's easy enough when the balls are very close together or when they're both close to the head rail but it's become difficult to consistently successfully do this when the balls are moved up or farther apart.

So (other than the two exercises described above) is there a way to improve on technique for off center shots? Either through more drills or physically (via stroke trainer or some other method)?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Added to what Tony had to say, it may help Andy to get a complete video analysis done of his stroke process. Oftentimes we can't see what we're really doing. Slow motion video shows everything. This can be done in Los Angeles next month, if the OP contacts me.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

The key to getting more spin on slow speed shots is to hit the right spot on the cueball, with a quality stroke.

For draw shots this has to be as low as you can go, without hitting the tip on the cloth. To maximize rt or left english, the same principal apples.

Use a striped ball for the cueball, setup your shots and observe where the chalk mark is on the ball.

It is likely you are not hitting the ball where you think you are.