Follow thru

ROG

Registered
For the past 2 weeks I have been having problems with follow shots that I want to bank and bring down the table or maybe go off 2 rails . I'm stroking the ball good on all my other shots ( draw and stop ). Just when I need to push the ball any distance I miss the shot . I'm going to start tonight just working on that . Ill take any help offered.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
tough to help without seeing you play, but how close do you have the tip to the cue ball during your initial address? Having it as close as possible (without constantly touching cb by mistake of course) will improve your stroke timing and follow through.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
For the past 2 weeks I have been having problems with follow shots that I want to bank and bring down the table or maybe go off 2 rails . I'm stroking the ball good on all my other shots ( draw and stop ). Just when I need to push the ball any distance I miss the shot . I'm going to start tonight just working on that . Ill take any help offered.

I agree that it's difficult to diagnose with out seeing you play.

When you say you "need to push the ball any distance" you miss the shot. Are you talking about shots that you hit with a fast speed?

If this is the case check to see if you are tightening your grip on the cue. Gripping the cue could pull the tip of the cue off line resulting in a missed shot.

Cameron makes a good point about keeping your tip fairly close to the cue ball before the final back stroke.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check the position of the knuckles on your back hand before and after you shoot. Make sure you aren't rolling your hand under or over the cue.

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
follow shots

i havent seen you shoot but as a guess i would say you probably under cut the follow shots there is generally a little more throw witha follow shot just try aiming for the over cut side of the pocket.

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
follow shots

after reading your post again im not sure if by banking you were referring to the cue ball or object ball. If you were referring to banking the object ball remember that hitting a bank shot harder closes the angle so you will need to either compensate in your aim or add spin to open the angle back up.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger...Are you sure you're hitting your "finish" on these shots? Your tip should be going to the same place on all SOP shots. We measured your template, for how your arm works with your body. If you are finishing your stroke, then, as mentioned, the problem is almost certainly related to clenching the cue when you are striking the CB. Try taking your forefinger off the cue, and point it straight down at ball address. It should tilt backwards on your backswing, and point forwards at your finish. This will help with grip tension problems.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago I took a lesson and told the instructor "I really can't get the follow I need or want on some shots" Well lets look at that. Give me your max follow. I did that and we looked at the chalk mark. He says that's pretty good placement but not good enough. "Here's where the Pros hit the ball" It looked to me like a scratch it was so high. But it wasn't when I went there.

You know the moral of the story. Explore the limits. It may surprise you. It sure does me.

quadrary

Custom Leather Cue Cases
Silver Member
follow

it should also be noted here that if you hit a shot with a lot of follow and the object ball is close enough to the rail you are comming off of to go up table the cue ball may still have top on it when it hits the rail if it does this will result in the cue ball dieing off the rail.

ROG

Registered
Sorry I wish I had some way of posting me shooting but I have no way to do so at this piont in time . I shot last night for about an hour and just worked on follow shots and noticed that I think I'm hitting to high on the cue ball . Scott I am finishing my shot but I do think I am gripping the cue to much .