Traveler Billiard Instructor.

Jpool1985

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am in Austin,Tx and I'm a 9 and 7 rank in APA. I played BCA as well. I feel like my game at 80% and other 20% of me saying what is missing in my game. I do an aiming base on Hal Houle system and it work but there of part of me doesn't feel that system is 100% for me.

I wanna find an instructor who travel and be able to come by Austin,TX area to skinny Bob billiard for 2 hours or so. I don't make a a lot of money and don't wanna spend 600 dollars base on other that was asking for that much. I'm looking to spend 300 dollars. I need someone who video cam or can really see what I am missing in my game. PM ME. Oh just to be upfront.....I don't do ghost ball aiming so if that you/instructor that do ghost ball aiming....I don't wanna learn that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Look up Scott Lee or Randy G.
Scott travels. His course is $300 unless it went up.

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a 7 and was also a 9 and was playing 3 or 4 times a week. Now a stupid 8 playing once or twice a week the last couple years. So...My opinion is that of course you can make small tweaks to your fundamentals but really that won't do too much if your not hitting them constantly. Therefore, my advice for whatever it's worth is to do three things.
1) get Appletons' perfect practice and work on it at leat a few hours 3 or more times a week.
2) pay or gamble small with pros in your area
3) work on your mind on body as in go to a gym regularly and work on mental game which can be done numerous ways.
Do those 3 things and jump up a bit but at your level any level jump takes work, time and dedication.
JMHO

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling does nothing to give you a more accurate and consistent stroke. I've seen plenty of 7's & 9's who had poor fundamentals. Videos and books are adequate, but cannot provide immediate or personal feedback...only a qualified instructor (one who uses video analysis) can provide that kind of feedback. I would agree with #3.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

I am a 7 and was also a 9 and was playing 3 or 4 times a week. Now a stupid 8 playing once or twice a week the last couple years. So...My opinion is that of course you can make small tweaks to your fundamentals but really that won't do too much if your not hitting them constantly. Therefore, my advice for whatever it's worth is to do three things.
1) get Appletons' perfect practice and work on it at leat a few hours 3 or more times a week.
2) pay or gamble small with pros in your area
3) work on your mind on body as in go to a gym regularly and work on mental game which can be done numerous ways.
Do those 3 things and jump up a bit but at your level any level jump takes work, time and dedication.
JMHO

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Scott,
I wasn't knocking instructing.

What I said was to PAY or gamble with a PRO(or supa strong players) as you can learn a lot playing and talking with them. Also, you don't think the pressure from gambling can be practice for playing under pressure??? You think it would be better to change aiming systems and make big tweaks to fundamentals?
As far as 7's and 9's having poor fundamentals, if they make the shots and consistently control whitey then their fundamentals are good right?

Anyhoo, if you have any examples of higher level players that can prove a higher winning percentage after changing aiming systems and making big fundamental changes I'd love to see them. I would of course then be a believer and guarantee I would call you for some help. However, I just don't think it's that simple. From what I've seen, in order for a B player to move an AA player the best recipe is competitive time on the table and lots and lots of practice. I also know plenty of c players for life that are constantly working on an "aiming" system and making changes in their fundys and it does them not a lick of good.

PHP:
Gambling does nothing to give you a more accurate and consistent stroke. I've seen plenty of 7's & 9's who had poor fundamentals. Videos and books are adequate, but cannot provide immediate or personal feedback...only a qualified instructor (one who uses video analysis) can provide that kind of feedback. I would agree with #3.

Scott Lee

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mattp...I read what you said, and it's still not true. Well right off the tip of my head I can think of two immediately...Henry Brodt, 2-time national champion, and Gordy Vandeveer, grandmaster level pro player and instructor. Henry is from IL and Gordy lives in OKC. I could certainly name others...but you won't call, because you already know everything. :rolleyes: You don't know what you don't know! Oh, and the improvements that they both saw, came from improvements in their fundamentals...not from some "aimiing method"! LOL

BTW...the pressure associated with gambling is nothing comparable to tournament play. You can keep gambling as long as you can reach in your pocket...in tournament play you're done in one or two tries...certainly more pressure there, imo.

Scott Lee

Hi Scott,
I wasn't knocking instructing.

What I said was to PAY or gamble with a PRO(or supa strong players) as you can learn a lot playing and talking with them. Also, you don't think the pressure from gambling can be practice for playing under pressure??? You think it would be better to change aiming systems and make big tweaks to fundamentals?
As far as 7's and 9's having poor fundamentals, if they make the shots and consistently control whitey then their fundamentals are good right?

Anyhoo, if you have any examples of higher level players that can prove a higher winning percentage after changing aiming systems and making big fundamental changes I'd love to see them. I would of course then be a believer and guarantee I would call you for some help. However, I just don't think it's that simple. From what I've seen, in order for a B player to move an AA player the best recipe is competitive time on the table and lots and lots of practice. I also know plenty of c players for life that are constantly working on an "aiming" system and making changes in their fundys and it does them not a lick of good.

PHP:

Scott Lee

Last edited:

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I said was to PAY or gamble with a PRO(or supa strong players) as you can learn a lot playing and talking with them.
mattp...I read what you said, and it's still not true.

So, you are saying competing and conversing with professionals is not beneficial to your game???? Okay...

As far as the players you mentioned I see that they had similar records 15 years ago as they do today at least according to AZ.

but you won't call, because you already know everything.
i truly wish that were true.

-We all don't know what we don't know. I do know that I've taught many players who have improved using many of the same principles that you and other SPFr's teach and for that I thank you.
P.s One thing I know I don't know is how to properly quote other posts:mad:

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Mattp. There is no doubt that you can learn something by watching, playing, and talking with pro players. In my day, that was the only way we had to learn. Two problems. 1. It takes a long time to learn that way, and 2. Many great players don't have the teaching skills to communicate exactly what they are doing to others. Being able to do something, doesn't mean they can necessarily teach what they do effectively.

Professional instructors are trained to observe a student, identify any problem areas, and guide them through the changes (small or large) that will correct the problems they have identified.

Ask yourself this: If you wanted to learn golf, would you rather learn from Tiger or Rory...or their coach??

Steve

mattp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooltchr,
I agree with everything you said. and as to your question...I'd love to learn from both them and especially their coaches. And I hope and pray that jpool finds that missing 20 percent as I am browsing for it recently.(at least a chunk)

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not brain surgery

If I had to get an operation, do I chose a doctor that went to medical school and got professional instruction, or go to a doctor that talked to a lot of doctors.

I think the answer is evident. Gambling teaches you how to gamble. You learn how to match up, how to shark, how to make games, how to get paid, how to get to your car with your money, etc. You don't learn how to play better.

If anyone wants to get better, pay Scott, learn and practice better fundamentals, then you will play better.

I realize there are a lot of instructors that don't know much, and a lot of great players that can't teach, but if anyone makes an honest look, you can find the instructor that will bring your game to the next level.

Rant over. Flame if you want.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What he said...and there are many great PBIA/SPF instructors out there, not the least of which are Steve Jennings/pooltcher and Mark Finkelstein.

I'm out in Maine and Massachusetts for the next week or so. Anybody in that region that's interested, PM me about getting together. Kick your game up to the next level! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

If I had to get an operation, do I chose a doctor that went to medical school and got professional instruction, or go to a doctor that talked to a lot of doctors.

I think the answer is evident. Gambling teaches you how to gamble. You learn how to match up, how to shark, how to make games, how to get paid, how to get to your car with your money, etc. You don't learn how to play better.

If anyone wants to get better, pay Scott, learn and practice better fundamentals, then you will play better.

I realize there are a lot of instructors that don't know much, and a lot of great players that can't teach, but if anyone makes an honest look, you can find the instructor that will bring your game to the next level.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why did you end your post with "Rant over. Flame if you want?" Are you inviting people to flame you?

Mark, I consider you to be a very good player, and that's to your credit as a teacher. If you looked in the coaching boxes of Federer and Djokovic last night, you saw Stephan Edberg and Boris Becker --- two champions coaching two champions.

I heard that in the beginning there were personality issues between Becker and Djokovic and it was uncertain as to whether or not their egos would allow the relationship to grow. It was rocky for awhile, but they worked it out. I'm sure it was well worth it.

A pool player should never, never, never discount what they can learn from a better player. They just sometimes have to learn how to interpret what they are saying.

And those future doctors who are sitting in classrooms ---- who do you think are teaching them to be doctors? Other doctors, of course. Who would you rather have as a teacher to train you perform surgery --- a professional instructor with just a few surgeries under his belt, or someone who has performed thousands of successful operations?

That's not to say that instructors don't have their role in our industry. They do, but they are not the only ones who should be considered proper pool teachers, and I think instructors need to get off their high horses about that.

I think instructors provide a much needed service to our billiard community and if we are humble about who we are, I think our billiard community would only embrace us more.

Last edited:

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member

Be careful what you wish for.

I am sure myself and a few others can give you all the flames you can handle.
We may let people know their promotional and transparent posts are kind of obvious.
Most of us don't waste our time, there are exceptions.

You can become the September recipient of the fireball stroke, it will take your game to the next level, have you heard of it? You scream fire in the hole, close your eyes and strike at 300 mph. You can check your book but I do not think it's in there, it's too hot.

I would be interested in your opinion on a few subjects.
How do you feel about BHE, clearing the cue, upstroking, tip gap for striking accuracy, insurance position theory, just a few, many more can follow.
Feel free to participate in actual discussions and share your wisdom, shared knowledge is always welcomed.

Transparency can be catchy

Sincerely: SS

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Why did you end your post with "Rant over. Flame if you want?" Are you inviting people to flame you?

Mark, I consider you to be a very good player, and that's to your credit as a teacher. If you looked in the coaching boxes of Federer and Djokovic last night, you saw Stephan Edberg and Boris Becker --- two champions coaching two champions.

I heard that in the beginning there were personality issues between Becker and Djokovic and it was uncertain as to whether or not their egos would allow the relationship to grow. It was rocky for awhile, but they worked it out. I'm sure it was well worth it.

A pool player should never, never, never discount what they can learn from a better player. They just sometimes have to learn how to interpret what they are saying.

And those future doctors who are sitting in classrooms ---- who do you think are teaching them to be doctors? Other doctors, of course. Who would you rather have as a teacher to train you perform surgery --- a professional instructor with just a few surgeries under his belt, or someone who has performed thousands of successful operations?

That's not to say that instructors don't have their role in our industry. They do, but they are not the only ones who should be considered proper pool teachers, and I think instructors need to get off their high horses about that.

I think instructors provide a much needed service to our billiard community and if we are humble about who we are, I think our billiard community would only embrace us more.

:thumbup2::thumbup2::thumbup2:

ShadowKing

Registered

If anyone wants to get better, pay Scott, learn and practice better fundamentals, then you will play better. huawei g8 handyhülle

True. Can't argue with that. As kill the mutant.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm shocked, shocked, that Mark gave his seal of approval to Scott and not say, some fellow who shall remain nameless, in southwest Virginia. Well done.

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Traveling Instructor

I think you are reading more into this than is there. I know Scott travels to Texas. That's it. I know Randy G is in Texas as well. How does that imply anything other than my limited knowledge of who is in or goes to Texas?

Please don't reply as I don't plan on getting in to anything on this forum. Thanks and play well.

Bigb'scues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
any traveling BILLIARD instructors to help me with my 3c and straight rail game?

SmoothStroke here on the forum is an amazing 3 c player and one hell of a badass
Instructor. He can teach you about the zeppolini shot ,and then make you some zeppolis.