Cuetec Replacement Shafts

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a maple stained Cuetec R360 cue - the 10th one on the Ozone site - and the shaft is now rattling. I didn't find it that LD anyway. Does anyone know of a regular maple shaft that I can replace it with and try to match the color. I don't need fiberglass or any composite - just hard rock maple. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!

John

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a maple stained Cuetec R360 cue - the 10th one on the Ozone site - and the shaft is now rattling. I didn't find it that LD anyway. Does anyone know of a regular maple shaft that I can replace it with and try to match the color. I don't need fiberglass or any composite - just hard rock maple. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks!

John
Seriously?? Just buy a new cue. BTW, cuetec uses some oddball joint pin.

Kats 11

Registered

John

If u so like the butt,change the pin to sth more popular like 5/16x14 and find a one piece maple shaft you think you will like,like a mezz wx700 or anything you like. I f not just buy a whole new cue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acedonkeyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any qualified cue repairman in your area?

If yes, you can bring them any shaft that you like and have them remove the insert, plug with purpleheart or phenolic and then tap with the 3/8x14 cuetec/Excalibur/scorpion thread and then if you want to use the old collar on your old shaft then they can replace that also. But understand, working on a cue by a good repairman is a lot more money then buying a shaft that has been mass produced over in china or Taiwan. Sometimes you just have step up and spend money if you want something specific.

Hope this helps,

Mike 'acedonkyace' Kennedy

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it's .360-14, almost 3/8-14
One of these days I will remember to try my 3/8-14 dpk shaft on a Cuetec just to see if it works

The pins are different designs as far as pitch but the DPK should fit the Cuetec. It should not fit the opposite way or at least it wouldn't if I made the Cuetec shaft because my hole would be a lot smaller to fit the under sized pin on Cuetec correctly.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the OP.
If you come up empty. You could switch to a radial pin without having to plug the hole because Radials use a 5/16 hole. That's larger than the hole you have.
Hope this helps.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey,

don't listen to others...

Katana is also doing shafts with 3/8x14 and they are quite LD, just as OB or Tiger.
You can choose 12,5mm and 11,5mm (which I'd prefer).
Also I've seen OB shafts with 3/8x14, but it doesn't seem to be the norm - asking might be an option?

Personally, I'd buy another R360 shaft, but with 11,5mm this time.

Keep the butt, it's not a bad one!

Cheers,
M

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
The pins are different designs as far as pitch but the DPK should fit the Cuetec. It should not fit the opposite way or at least it wouldn't if I made the Cuetec shaft because my hole would be a lot smaller to fit the under sized pin on Cuetec correctly.

You see that on lot of cues when you start mixing & matching.
I remember a guy picked up a Bludworth butt and my 3/8-12 Ernie Martinez shaft fit it fine, but I highly doubt a 3/8-11.5 Blud shaft would fit an Ernie Martinez butt...3/8-12

For the record I have a Cuetec Thunderbolt shaft that's a pretty good shaft.
As much as I don't like Cuetec cues, I'm surprised there is a problem with the 360 shaft.
Cuetec should have their quality control down pretty good you would think.
I've never heard of any mechanical problems with Cuetec, even the really low end stuff

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You see that on lot of cues when you start mixing & matching.
I remember a guy picked up a Bludworth butt and my 3/8-12 Ernie Martinez shaft fit it fine, but I highly doubt a 3/8-11.5 Blud shaft would fit an Ernie Martinez butt...3/8-12

For the record I have a Cuetec Thunderbolt shaft that's a pretty good shaft.
As much as I don't like Cuetec cues, I'm surprised there is a problem with the 360 shaft.
Cuetec should have their quality control down pretty good you would think.
I've never heard of any mechanical problems with Cuetec, even the really low end stuff

I work on all of them. I love cues. I accept, never condemn.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey,

Katana is also doing shafts with 3/8x14 and they are quite LD, just as OB or Tiger.
Also I've seen OB shafts with 3/8x14, but it doesn't seem to be the norm - asking might be an option?

Cheers,
M
HUH?? Shafts are almost 150bux. For a few more $$ you can get a whole new cue. And i wouldn't waste one quarter having a new pin put in it. That wont be cheap and you'll still need a new shaft. Sell the butt for 50bux and move on.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know...very impressive what you do and know, especially since it's all from experience.
One day I would like to talk to you about my Acme pin Josswest cues.

Thank you Sir.
Before we talk. I'll ask you to have Mr. Drexler who has done a lot of things for you, to make you a brass insert installed into a piece of maple using the beginner tap for the 5/16x14 acme. The tap comes as follows.
One style. Long tap, tapered to cut the square threads for acme.
2Nd. Style! Consist of 2 different taps. A beginner and of course, a finished size.
I have the first style, Mr. Drexler has the 2nd style.
You have numerous Josswest cues with two different sized acme pins. 1st is the standard .323x14. The 2nd is a standard sized approximately.310x14. Both acme of course.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Thank you Sir.
Before we talk. I'll ask you to have Mr. Drexler who has done a lot of things for you, to make you a brass insert installed into a piece of maple using the beginner tap for the 5/16x14 acme. The tap comes as follows.
One style. Long tap, tapered to cut the square threads for acme.
2Nd. Style! Consist of 2 different taps. A beginner and of course, a finished size.
I have the first style, Mr. Drexler has the 2nd style.
You have numerous Josswest cues with two different sized acme pins. 1st is the standard .323x14. The 2nd is a standard sized approximately.310x14. Both acme of course.

Right on the money, incredible that you remeber all that.
It surprises me that there were three different sizes.
The largest one .324 belongs to a friend now.
It had a piloted ivory joint.
Of the three, none of the shafts were interchangeable, although the .310 works with a few of the standard 5/16-14 shafts.
The only one i want to get something retrofitted for is .323 because its a 59" cue and only one of the shafts is 29.5, the other is 29", and the second 29.5 shaft is cool if you like skinny shafts that get skinnier where your bridge hand typically would go.
Nice looking shaft but worthless to me.

I'll let Paul finish up with my three Herman Rambow cues and old ebony John Davis blank before I bug him about another project.
:smile:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right on the money, incredible that you remeber all that.
It surprises me that there were three different sizes.
The largest one .324 belongs to a friend now.
It had a piloted ivory joint.
Of the three, none of the shafts were interchangeable, although the .310 works with a few of the standard 5/16-14 shafts.
The only one i want to get something retrofitted for is .323 because its a 59" cue and only one of the shafts is 29.5, the other is 29", and the second 29.5 shaft is cool if you like skinny shafts that get skinnier where your bridge hand typically would go.
Nice looking shaft but worthless to me.

I'll let Paul finish up with my three Herman Rambow cues and old ebony John Davis blank before I bug him about another project.
:smile:

Good morning.
Sometimes, I remember things. So the shaft you want retrofitted, is to loose, or to tight?
My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Good morning.
Sometimes, I remember things. So the shaft you want retrofitted, is to loose, or to tight?
My apologies to the OP for being off topic.

My apologies as well, but maybe this will bring more attention to the Cuetec issue.

Definitely too tight.
I have a really nice 29.5" shaft Paul made for a different Josswest.
Actually I had him make 4 when a couple of standard 5/16-14 cues were in his shop being refinished.
I knew I was going to need a couple extra but I hadn't sorted everything out at that time, and I didn't know as much as I do now.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies as well, but maybe this will bring more attention to the Cuetec issue.

Definitely too tight.
I have a really nice 29.5" shaft Paul made for a different Josswest.
Actually I had him make 4 when a couple of standard 5/16-14 cues were in his shop being refinished.
I knew I was going to need a couple extra but I hadn't sorted everything out at that time, and I didn't know as much as I do now.

Shouldn't be to bad to rectify. To tight is a lot easier than to loose. I had some acme screws made once. Good idea I thought but I should have commissioned someone who would listen to the spec's I wanted. I got .320. I paid....but wasn't thrilled.

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey,

Cheers,
M
The OB shaft plays well on my cuetec edge