Gus, Barry, Bushka

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I have noticed since I have been lucky enough to own enough Gus, Barry and Bushkas long enough to make the following assessment, The most consistant good hitting cues are Barry and Gus cues, I dont have Barry thats hits just OK, I have 2 Gus cues that hit just OK but thats compairing them to other Gus and Barry cues not production cues.

Now the Bushkas I would say that about 1/3 of the ones I have are just ok and the others are amazing, I have one that is the best hitting cue I have ever played with-but it is not that much better than the better Barry or Gus I have ever played with, its a subjective thing no way to put a number on it. I have one GSB that might pay better than the Bushka but I dont use it enough to judge it fairlt, that is something I will do in the furture. I have a couple Bushkas that are horrible compaired to Cue-Tecs,

But again none of the Szams play bad, the worst one I own is still a amazing cue when compaired to all others. I have 2 Bushkas that just look good and I love them for that.

My Credentials:

I have been playing for 25 years and have played with alot of cues, I'm a ok player when I'm in stroke-far from being a champion but there isnt a B player in the world that will like it, I'm very sensitive to equipment, Archer can play good with anything it just dosent matter. I'm the oppsite I have to have a great cue just to play fair compaired to him. So since I have this weakness I have become well informed on what I like in a cue, I can adapt to a cue very fast-a month to be 100% with it, I can tell in a couple hours if there is no hope. I'm far from being the player than Joe Tuker is or Blackjack(Dave S.) is. But I do know cues-alot about a few makers perhaps 10, I know nothing about Kikel or Schick but alot about SW or Szams.

thats my story and i'm sticking to it, I just wish I could use a cue better than I do ;)

Drawman623

Box Cue lover
Silver Member
Tribute

How does the Tribute to my Dad cue play? That is the cue I see when I close my eyes in the pool room. There are many ultimate collectables...the golden bushka, Ernie's silver Gina, but you have the greatest of all IMO. There are none prettier or representing a greater tradition in cuemaking honored from father to son.

Last edited:

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
which is best?

Your best playing balabuska is it rosewood? or tiltlist blank? burton spain blank? or gus s. blank? It should be with no rings around the top of the rap, and it is either a rosewood, or gus blank, but it will be an oil finnished cue you should be able to hear it as well as feel it. understand my thoughts? mark

cuesmith

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT!
Silver Member
Fatboy said:
One thing I have noticed since I have been lucky enough to own enough Gus, Barry and Bushkas long enough to make the following assessment, The most consistant good hitting cues are Barry and Gus cues, I dont have Barry thats hits just OK, I have 2 Gus cues that hit just OK but thats compairing them to other Gus and Barry cues not production cues.

Now the Bushkas I would say that about 1/3 of the ones I have are just ok and the others are amazing, I have one that is the best hitting cue I have ever played with-but it is not that much better than the better Barry or Gus I have ever played with, its a subjective thing no way to put a number on it. I have one GSB that might pay better than the Bushka but I dont use it enough to judge it fairlt, that is something I will do in the furture. I have a couple Bushkas that are horrible compaired to Cue-Tecs,

But again none of the Szams play bad, the worst one I own is still a amazing cue when compaired to all others. I have 2 Bushkas that just look good and I love them for that.

My Credentials:

I have been playing for 25 years and have played with alot of cues, I'm a ok player when I'm in stroke-far from being a champion but there isnt a B player in the world that will like it, I'm very sensitive to equipment, Archer can play good with anything it just dosent matter. I'm the oppsite I have to have a great cue just to play fair compaired to him. So since I have this weakness I have become well informed on what I like in a cue, I can adapt to a cue very fast-a month to be 100% with it, I can tell in a couple hours if there is no hope. I'm far from being the player than Joe Tuker is or Blackjack(Dave S.) is. But I do know cues-alot about a few makers perhaps 10, I know nothing about Kikel or Schick but alot about SW or Szams.

thats my story and i'm sticking to it, I just wish I could use a cue better than I do ;)

I have a close friend with a very unusual GS, he's possibly interested in selling. It's a solid ebony forearm & bottom (no points) and has WHITE PHENOLIC RINGWORK. I've owned over a dozen of Gus' cues and have worked on many, more, but I've never seen anything like it. Barry authenticated the cue and said the same thing. He also has one of the few Wico Gus cues, but I don't know if he'd part with it. If anyone's seriously interested, I can email pics, but they're too large to post here and I'm to busy right now to figure out how to get them up.

Sherm
sherm@shermcue.com
new phone (513)578-8631 >>>>>(Verizon SUCKS)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i will reply tomarrow, I didnt see this thread til now it has alot of views and good questions, i'm half asleep right now, first thing I'll be glad to answere any questions, its just one mans opinion, thanks gentelman

junksecret

Certified Fish
Silver Member
Fatboy said:

My Credentials:

Barry who????

:)

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Fatboy said:

My Credentials:

Just for the record.. I have had cues from all of the above I didn't want to sell, and some I couldn't sell fast enough.

JV