Reload this Page Simple question for you experts on 14.1
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Simple question for you experts on 14.1
Old
  (#1)
Nine ... corner
A student of human moves~
Nine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Simple question for you experts on 14.1 - 01-31-2018, 10:57 AM

As many have, I drifted away from straight pool in favor of other games decades ago. Well a buddy of mine and I have started playing straights one day a week and here is a situation we came across.

I lost the lag and also then fouled on the break losing two points. My buddy played a weak safe and I then ran fourteen balls. With just the break ball left on the table do you just end that inning with a score of 12--0 never spotting the balls?

Thanks in advance. BTW, love getting back into straight pool.

"I'm shootin' pool Fats, when I miss you can shoot."

Last edited by Nine ... corner; 01-31-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine ... corner View Post
As many have, I drifted away from straight pool in favor of other games decades ago. Well a buddy of mine and I have started playing straights one day a week and here is a situation we came across.

I lost the lag and also then fouled on the break losing two points. My buddy played a weak safe and I then ran fourteen balls. With just the break ball left on the table do you just end that inning with a score of 12--0 never spotting the balls?

Thanks in advance. BTW, love getting back into straight pool.
You only spot balls that have been pocketed on a foul or driven off the table.

Edit: You also spot balls that you pocket during a miss, for example if you miss the 3 but make the 10 by accident or you miss the 3 but it goes on one rail to the wrong pocket.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Last edited by Bob Jewett; 02-01-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Old
  (#3)
Nine ... corner
Nine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond repute

01-31-2018, 11:14 AM

We've been spotting a ball for any scratch ... that's incorrect? So the only time the rack score totals 14 is if there have been no fouls/scratches?

Old
  (#4)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-31-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
We've been spotting a ball for any scratch ... that's incorrect? So the only time the rack score totals 14 is if there have been no fouls/scratches?
You only spot a ball if it has been pocketed during a foul, like if you scratched on the shot. You should be keeping a total score and a rack score, like you might have 47 total and 8 in the current rack. If you scratch without pocketing a ball, then your score is 46 and 8 so there is no need to put a ball out. In the first rack, your total score was -2 to begin with. You need to find a way to show -2. On a table score counter, you would use 98 to show -2, for instance.

Many people keep score by counting the balls on the table and the rack score of their opponent and then subtracting that from 15. So I just ran a few balls and missed. I count 7 balls on the table and see that my opponent's rack score is 3. That's 10 total so it means I have 5 total in this rack so far. Maybe I already had 2 balls, but it doesn't matter. Just add 3 more in that case to make 5.

Dan White

Old
  (#5)
Nine ... corner

01-31-2018, 02:55 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. We will start correcting our scoring next match.

Old
  (#6)
Saturated Fats
AzB Silver Member
Saturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond reputeSaturated Fats has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:

I lost the lag and also then fouled on the break losing two points.
Note too that not every foul on the opening break loses two points.

Old
  (#7)
Nine ... corner

02-01-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturated Fats View Post
Note too that not every foul on the opening break loses two points.
I know and did not send two balls to a rail versus scratching.

Old
  (#8)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up for me. We will start correcting our scoring next match.
Annotating your score can be very important.
...’cause when your run starts at minus 2....and reaches 524....
...you have actually tied Willie’s famous run.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#9)
Nine ... corner

02-01-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
Annotating your score can be very important.
...’cause when your run starts at minus 2....and reaches 524....
...you have actually tied Willie’s famous run.
Thanks for the tip Paul. So far Mr. Mosconi's record is fairly safe from my encroachment.

Old
  (#10)
Meucciplayer
AzB Silver Member
Meucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2018, 11:02 AM

Another question about Straight Pool: Say you call the 1-ball in the corner.

What happens in these two cases?

1) You miss the 1 completely but pocket another ball?

2) You hit the 1-ball, don't pocket it but pocket another ball instead?

Now, I know it's the opponent's turn. But how do you count? And do you spot anything?

Last edited by Meucciplayer; 02-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Old
  (#11)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meucciplayer View Post

Now, I know it's the opponent's turn. But how do you count? And do you spot anything?
In either case it is not a foul but your inning ends and the uncalled ball spots because you did not make your called shot.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#12)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meucciplayer View Post

You spot any ball illegally made.
If you make the called ball, you keep any other ball made.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#13)
Meucciplayer
AzB Silver Member
Meucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond reputeMeucciplayer has a reputation beyond repute

02-01-2018, 02:18 PM

Thank you. So we have always played it correctly. I just wasn't quite sure since someone recently did not want to spot those balls.

Old
  (#14)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Fouls are always deducted from the total score for each player, so the current rack score will always add up to 14 when there is 1 ball left on the table, unless the last 2 balls are made on the final shot of the rack when there are 2 balls left on the table. The only object balls spotted are object balls made on a foul, object balls made without being called, object balls made when calling a safety, or object balls jumped off the table - which is also a foul.

Old
  (#15)
RobMan
AzB Silver Member
RobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond reputeRobMan has a reputation beyond repute

02-15-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Fouls are always deducted from the total score for each player, so the current rack score will always add up to 14 when there is 1 ball left on the table, unless the last 2 balls are made on the final shot of the rack when there are 2 balls left on the table. The only object balls spotted are object balls made on a foul, object balls made without being called, object balls made when calling a safety, or object balls jumped off the table - which is also a foul.
This right here. f your table has a score counter - use one scoring wheel for the running score; the other for the rack score. Subtract off the running score so that the rack score always add to 14. End of rack - add the rack score to the running score and reset the rack wheels to zero.

If using paper, use tick marks for each ball score. At end of each rack, right the running score in the grid and circle. If you subsequently foul, subtract from the running score.

Or use an app like Straight Pool Deluxe on your Ipad!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: