How do you aim bank & kick shots?

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
How do YOU aim bank & kick shots?

I am aware that CTE and other aiming systems might cover these shots, but please refrain from starting a debate about CTE.

I have been reading about bank & kick shots today and the systems that are commonly used for them. I was wondering if there was a major tendancy toward one in particular. This thread is mostly for the purpose of seeing what people prefer and also why.

If you only have one system that seems to work well for you, or if you chose a system depending on the shot in particular, feel free to explain your reasoning, I would really love some experienced feedback on the subject!

Thanks!

Last edited:

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots and lots of "systems" certainly. Lots of feel needed to adjust regardless due to table conditions, humidity, speed, english, etc. etc.

I think Tor's Zero-X DVD on kicking is a super value ==> http://www.zerox-billiards.com/ Lots of great information. Definitely improved my kicking skills.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Thanks for your helpful and very insightful input.

It WAS insightful and VERY helpful.. You should stop wasting your time asking all these questions here and just do the research... It's out there.. Google is a wonderful tool if you just USE IT... I hope this helps.. Happy hitting!

SamLambert

Daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
It WAS insightful and VERY helpful.. You should stop wasting your time asking all these questions here and just do the research... It's out there.. Google is a wonderful tool if you just USE IT... I hope this helps.. Happy hitting!

You are very much off track about my intentions with this thread.

The question is not “what kicking/banking system is the best” or “which one should I use”.

It is a simple “what do you use/prefer and why”.

But sorry I guess! How dare I try to get the opinion of the other members for discussion on a discussion board!

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never learned a system for banking except for a rough diamond system when I was first playing. I could always see bank shots though - can't offer a resource on banking.

As for kicking, by far, the best thing I've gotten is Tor Lowry/Zero-X kicking. He covers 1, 2, and 3 rail kicks and makes them easy. There's also a PDF available of DeadAims Kicking Academy where he covers the SID system, spot on the wall, basic diamond system, multiplication system, etc. Tons of nuggets in that PDF.

Eventually, you kick and bank so much that you start to not rely on the numbers.

Anyway, get the zero-x kicking video.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The question is not “what kicking/banking system is the best” or “which one should I use”.

But sorry I guess! How dare I try to get the opinion of the other members for discussion on a discussion board!

Preferences are subjective.

So in actuality if you're asking which kicking system someone uses, then you're asking which is the best (according to them).

You need to step up your troll game.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Passovers and Standard Banks

I am aware that CTE and other aiming systems might cover these shots, but please refrain from starting a debate about CTE.

I have been reading about bank & kick shots today and the systems that are commonly used for them. I was wondering if there was a major tendancy toward one in particular. This thread is mostly for the purpose of seeing what people prefer and also why.

If you only have one system that seems to work well for you, or if you chose a system depending on the shot in particular, feel free to explain your reasoning, I would really love some experienced feedback on the subject!

Thanks!

Somewhere there I think in one of the Byrne Books there is a standard line drawing method that was used to figure banks. I discovered that it works on a lot of Passover Banks and with a little tweaking found it works for more banks that I originally thought only I make some slight changes to it for my stroke. Maybe someone here has a diagram of it.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Kicking

Never learned a system for banking except for a rough diamond system when I was first playing. I could always see bank shots though - can't offer a resource on banking.

As for kicking, by far, the best thing I've gotten is Tor Lowry/Zero-X kicking. He covers 1, 2, and 3 rail kicks and makes them easy. There's also a PDF available of DeadAims Kicking Academy where he covers the SID system, spot on the wall, basic diamond system, multiplication system, etc. Tons of nuggets in that PDF.

Eventually, you kick and bank so much that you start to not rely on the numbers.

Anyway, get the zero-x kicking video.

I have heard the same and intend to get the download myself. I was told by a friend if I wasn't happy he would pay for it. So that says a lot.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member

Sam,

I am not off track at all... Aiming bank shots is not as "personal" as you may think... If you're trying to find out what OTHER people do you're asking the wrong question... Who cares.. It doesn't matter.. Banking shots is FINITE. Either you learn to bank or you don't... Anyone who wants to learn how to bank needs only to follow the basic methods which happen to be discussed ALL OVER THE INTERNET, hit tons of balls, and if possible watch some great bank players... The rest of the conversation is pointless...

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Pure instinct

This is the best answer. Shoot a kick. See how you missed. Adjust accordingly.

Understand how the spin in the ball reacts off the cloth or changes the object ball.

It takes lots of misses to get comfortable with them.

Hit A Million Banks

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member

Interpretation; You are not supposed to ask pool related questions in this pool forum. That is the job of Google. :rolleyes:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pure instinct

I am a feel player. After hitting a million balls I'm getting closer to my goal. I am one of those guys that doesn't absorb knowledge from a book. I learn by doing. My advice is practice banks and kicks to get a feel for it. Make sure you use different types of english on your banks because it will alter the angle of the object ball. Sorry but I think you still have to hit a million balls.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
"Banking/Kicking Lanes" for one-rail banks/kicks

The simplest method I know for one-rail banks/kicks is what I call "banking/kicking lanes" - easily visualized equal-angle "reference" tracks using the diamonds. Simply imagine the reference tracks on either side of the ball you want to kick/bank, then estimate where your actual shot must go.

Here's a pic to illustrate (see next post to see how to adjust for friction effects with a rolling ball).

pj
chgo

View attachment 19833

Attachments

• banking lanes.jpg
    banking lanes.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 891

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The most common adjustment you'll make when using equal-angle reference tracks is to aim a little short to compensate for a rolling ball's natural tendency to curve long as it rebounds from the rail. Fortunately, it's also pretty easy - just aim at the diamond on the rail rather than the cushion nose (may differ slightly on different tables).

Here's a pic illustrating those adjustments.

pj
chgo

View attachment 20230

Attachments

• 1-rail kicks - gmtry v aim.jpg
    1-rail kicks - gmtry v aim.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,262

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Interpretation; You are not supposed to ask pool related questions in this pool forum. That is the job of Google. :rolleyes:

Now when Sam said "off track" I think he meant you... Sam asks a lot of questions and IMO wastes time on these forums instead of doing a little research and putting that research to table time... His question was aimed at personal preferences and when it comes to banks and kicks it's more of an exact science than ones personal "method"... So YES you are not supposed to ask related questions when the question has been asked, answered, and available at anyones beck and call ALL over the Internet... :rolleyes: right back at ya

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hit a million banks and kicks. Trial and error. Then and only then can you eliminate the need for these so-called systems and depend on the 'instinct' you developed from hours of practice. No shortcuts.

1. Set up a bank shot and execute it. After the shot, keep your head still as much as possible to get feedback on how the shot went and adjust accordingly.
2. You may want to develop a cue action/stroke that is rhythmic and matches your natural tempo. Most of the time knowing the proper angle for the shot is not enough--having a good timing would allow you to hit the ball sweetly. That's why Bustamante's rhythmic stroke enables him to make a bank with both precision and power.
3. You may want to try your hand at 3-cushion. That's how Efren became so proficient in kicking. FYI, Efren was an exceptional 3C player back in the 70s/80s. It certainly served him well in later years.

Last edited: