joss or predator

coltstudd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi forum,i want to get a new cue,i like joss,but was looking at the new predator roadline le6 purple heart cue,your opinions would be welcome.thanks

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi forum,i want to get a new cue,i like joss,but was looking at the new predator roadline le6 purple heart cue,your opinions would be welcome.thanks

Not a huge Predator fan, but I must say that the new LE6 is one of Predators prettiest cues.
314³ is a huge step up in quality from 314² but the Joss low deflection shaft still feels alot better to me.
Joss quality is still about the best in the business and it`s nice to deal with a company where the president himself answers the email.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
If you are talking about a regular Joss cue I would recommend Predator.
I don't know anything about Joss low deflection stuff, but I can't imagine it being better than Predator.
Also Predator will retain more of the original value.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know anything about Joss low deflection stuff, but I can't imagine it being better than Predator.

You didn't recommend Lucasi?
Shocked :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of those 2 choices I would have to pass on either, except an old block letter Joss. I would choose a Schmelke over either. I would choose Pechauer over ANY production cue, and that includes Schon, except Runde era! (These are my opinions)

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

These questions always seem to confuse me.

"I like x but...was looking at y, what do you think?" Does not make much sense to me unless there is more information.

Try it: "I like Mary but I was looking at Nancy." Any way you can help that person, even if you know Nancy and Mary?

You said you like Joss, but why?

You said you are considering a specific Predator, but why?

Have you considered a Joss with a Predator shaft?

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
You didn't recommend Lucasi?
Shocked :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:

Lucasi and Kersenbrock were not one of the available choices.

I think if I needed a cue to play with and it had to be low deflection and low price, I would pick up a Predator Roadline with a 314-3.
Very good quality control.

Also, no disrespect to everyone who always recommends Pechauer cues, however they are the absolute worst playing cues I have ever owned.
You remember when Fatboy sent you that really nice one for free, and honestly the three I owned played worse if you can imagine that.
Remember the tip changes did not help.
I've tried almost every vintage of Pechauer and there is something wrong, taper, construction methods, something.

The other day I mentioned Pechauer to a top tier cuemaker when we were discussing wood, and he said "Pechauer should not be building pool cues."

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of those 2 choices I would have to pass on either, except an old block letter Joss. I would choose a Schmelke over either. I would choose Pechauer over ANY production cue, and that includes Schon, except Runde era! (These are my opinions)

Why? It`s one thing to just throw out statements, but you need to back it up somehow.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Mezz......:cool:

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why? It`s one thing to just throw out statements, but you need to back it up somehow.
I do not need to back it up, however, I've owned each, so I have the right to opine. You threw your comment out there about Joss like Peter wrote it on the the Rock, without backing it up. I thought for sure I expressed in english, in my last sentence, in parenthesis, that these were my opinions. Maybe I should edit my comment!

Last edited:

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Take it for whats its worth but Dan from Joss lent a hand helping Predator design those LD shafts, Dan has been messing LD type stuff before predator hit the market.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do not need to back it up, however, I've owned each, so I have the right to opine. You threw your comment out there about Joss like Peter wrote it on the the Rock, without backing it up. I thought for sure I expressed in english, in my last sentence, in parenthesis, that these were my opinions. Maybe I should edit my comment!

That didn`t make much sense to me, might be a language thing?
Anyway, the OP asked abouth Joss or Predator, I gave an aswer based on a a volume of experience with both brands.
I do a fair bit of repair work, and some brands are more represented than others, Pechauer and Predator are amongst them...
Pechauer also has that nasty proprietary screw, making it more difficult to find aftermarket shafts that fits.
@J2pac. Yeah I agree, Mezz is the superior production brand out there.

Last edited:

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
I have the new predator le6 with the purple heart you are considering with a 12.4mm Revo shaft. Very sweet cue & feels great. Very good looking cue in hand.

I've only had 1 joss, 15 years ago & would never buy another one. Way too stiff for my liking.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That didn`t make much sense to me, might be a language thing?
Anyway, the OP asked abouth Joss or Predator, I gave an aswer based on a a volume of experience with both brands.
I do a fair bit of repair work, and some brands are more represented than others, Pechauer and Predator are amongst them...
Pechauer also has that nasty proprietary screw, making it more difficult to find aftermarket shafts that fits.
@J2pac. Yeah I agree, Mezz is the superior production brand out there.
The OP clearly asked for opinions from anybody on this forum. Was that a 'language thing' for you? I expressed my opinion then you come trying to bulldog me? Not happening. You should have immediately told the OP not to ask opinions from just anybody on this forum, to only ask self-proclaimed experts like yourself.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The other day I mentioned Pechauer to a top tier cuemaker when we were discussing wood, and he said "Pechauer should not be building pool cues."

This is silly. Would the cuemaker go on record publicly with this opinion? I was talking to one of the world's best cuemaker, and he said he wished he could make them as good as pechauer...see how easy that was.

In reality, hit and playability are subjective, and if you don't like them, it's perfectly ok. But as far as fit, finish, construction, and materials, i would put them equal to or on par with any cue I've ever hit with, custom or production

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The OP clearly asked for opinions from anybody on this forum. Was that a 'language thing' for you? I expressed my opinion then you come trying to bulldog me? Not happening. You should have immediately told the OP not to ask opinions from just anybody on this forum, to only ask self-proclaimed experts like yourself.

I don't know what to say mate...
I'm not trying to "bulldog" you. I was meerly pointing out that the OP at no time asked about Pechauer, and when you brought it up, I just wondered what your refrences for recomending Pechauer was.
One cue might not be the best way to judge a brand against another....

tashworth19191

Pool will make you humble
Silver Member
I have been shooting pool since 1978 and had many custom and production cues. IMO none of the compare to the Predator Revo. The shaft is what is important! I personally think that butt of any cue is for looks, the shaft is for performance. Get what looks good to you and put a Revo shaft on it. You will not be disappointed.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have been shooting pool since 1978 and had many custom and production cues. IMO none of the compare to the Predator Revo. The shaft is what is important! I personally think that butt of any cue is for looks, the shaft is for performance. Get what looks good to you and put a Revo shaft on it. You will not be disappointed.

I've heard all that at nasium about the importance of the butt vs. shaft and it's not true.
The balance, the feel and feedback, the grip, even the wrap makes a difference.
Overall differences in A Joint construction alone makes a difference.

Also the better players I know that converted to Revo said they play great but could not deal with the lack of feedback.