New Taom Chalk review.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I picked one up from Jayson and can say it is the best I have used.

Done Kamui, Masters, Great White, Predator.. Absolute opposite of Kamui virtually no (none seen by eye) chalk dust left on hands or table. seem to be lasting a bit longer maybe this is because what you use stays on the tip. Not half on tip and half on your chalking hand. I chalk center outward and with other chalk my middle and ring finger catch all the falling chalk with other chalk.. Five hours of play hand is clean....Left hand dirty only from the table HAHAHA

New tip chalked once played 3 racks without rechalking...Pretty good as most know new tips require rechalking often at first.

A bit expensive yes

I think they put price so high because they know to be best. :rolleyes:
At least I gonna buy it anyways:p

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kamui. 1 cube lasts me 4 years. I'm open and willing to trying something new in the future.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With 40 tip brand and hardness and now about 40 chalk brands, you only need to try 1600 combinations to find one you like :D;):cool:

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
I always enjoy the chalk debate threads but I will say I don’t like the shape. I have a habit of dropping the chalk and with the ocotgon shaped Predator that stuff would roll all over the place and this would be even worse!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost all Snooker pros using already Taom Chalk... Selby joined Taom Team. Ronnie using it just now ... I was sure this happens.. 😉

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So does really Taom chalk make less mess on pool table? There is a lot of chalk on my table so I'm interested in a chalk that doesn't mess.

Tooler

AhSheetMaDruars
Silver Member
So does really Taom chalk make less mess on pool table? There is a lot of chalk on my table so I'm interested in a chalk that doesn't mess.

Night and Day difference. The "only" mess I've seen in 6 weeks is the occasional small little white spec on the cloth. This stuff stays on the tip. Easily applies with minimal effort. I play with Precision Hard's, and love it. I think the shape just sucks, even a triangle shape would be better than the round. It's nice in your hand, but I agree with the idea of a holder. I will also say, it's a little more effort to apply to the Taom tips, but it stays on. No other chalk, other than Kamui, will stay on the tip like this stuff.

One nice bonus is, when other players look at it, they say "white chalk, yuck", and look for something else..... :thumbup:

Last edited:

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mika was using it this past week up in Nova Scotia. Asked him about it an he said it basically worked as good as any other chalk, but didn't leave any residue on the balls or table, thus preventing any kicks.

He said Mark Selby is using it and that all the snooker players that have tried it are impressed. Supposedly they are trying to get it as the standard chalk for pro snooker since kicks are such a huge part of that game.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ordered 1 piece. Let see how clean it keeps the table.
Hope it's not only marketing behind their promises.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal chalk history:

First I tried all the cheap ones - Master, Triangle etc. - too many miscues, due to my bad chalking (probably) and my own errors

I bought a Kamui 0.98 then. I was really happy because the miscues went down dramatically. However, my table and the balls looked like a mess.

I also bought a Kamui 1.21. This is much better in the "messy" department. Still, not perfect in that regard. Apart from that, it is also expensive and still leaves some residue.

Then I bought Magic Chalk. Stays even longer on the tip, no miscues, works on phenolic, no mess. Why should I change to a more expensive chalk (Taom) that apparently doesn't work fine on phenolic tips?

No, I am in no way related to the people here on AZB selling Magic Chalk. I live in Europe and buy it from DoubleDave. Apparently he is the only one selling it in Germany. It would be better if there was some competition but I can live with that.

The only "negative" things I can say about Magic Chalk:

- it sounds pretty much like sandpaper going over the tip but I haven't noticed any increased tip abrasion yet

- the paper wrapping around it is not as nice as Kamui - where you can remove plastic strips as the chalk gets smaller

Did anyone actually compare Magic Chalk to Taom and can anyone tell me what is better in Taom? Currently I can't find anything that convinces me to try it - the price and the adhesion to phenolic seem to be major faults to me ...

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My personal chalk history:

First I tried all the cheap ones - Master, Triangle etc. - too many miscues, due to my bad chalking (probably) and my own errors

I bought a Kamui 0.98 then. I was really happy because the miscues went down dramatically. However, my table and the balls looked like a mess.

I also bought a Kamui 1.21. This is much better in the "messy" department. Still, not perfect in that regard. Apart from that, it is also expensive and still leaves some residue.

Then I bought Magic Chalk. Stays even longer on the tip, no miscues, works on phenolic, no mess. Why should I change to a more expensive chalk (Taom) that apparently doesn't work fine on phenolic tips?

No, I am in no way related to the people here on AZB selling Magic Chalk. I live in Europe and buy it from DoubleDave. Apparently he is the only one selling it in Germany. It would be better if there was some competition but I can live with that.

The only "negative" things I can say about Magic Chalk:

- it sounds pretty much like sandpaper going over the tip but I haven't noticed any increased tip abrasion yet

- the paper wrapping around it is not as nice as Kamui - where you can remove plastic strips as the chalk gets smaller

Did anyone actually compare Magic Chalk to Taom and can anyone tell me what is better in Taom? Currently I can't find anything that convinces me to try it - the price and the adhesion to phenolic seem to be major faults to me ...

Actually Taom works good on phenolic too. It just don't cover so thick layer chalk over tip. Grip is still better than old school chalks(IMO).
I also don't understand why people seem to be offended that I review chalk here. I did it because it was new product and do something totally new; remove "kicks" from game. I really don't care what chalk peoples are using. I was just sure that chalk will be a Hit. Wanted to give my opinion if some players are interested.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think anyone is offended, just differing opinions. I'm off the opinion there is miniscule difference in the "grip" of the chalk if a layer of chalk is on the tip. Perhaps the better chalks have better quality control of the consistency in the chalk particle size. I'm also of the opinion the vast majority of miscues are stroke related or failure to have a layer of chalk on the tip.

With that said, it would seem the performance of better chalk is related to how long the chalk stays on the cue, how easily it applies to the tip and the less mess it causes. I use magic chalk and the outsville blue. For the money, hard to beat magic chalk. I will give the Taom a try out of curiosity.

HUKIT

F* ks Given...Zero
Silver Member
I bought two pieces to try and I have to be honest and say I’ll stick with magic chalk. For performance it was nearly on par with other name brands but I have to say the shape sucks! The Diamond table swallowed the first one within an hour. I don’t know where I picked up the habit of knocking the chalk off the table but this damn thing rolls over like a two dollar whore. Change the shape and maybe I’d use it. Hopefully I never end up in prison��

Last edited: