Pool almost dead?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sport: Anything two or more people can do together to show that one is better at it than the others.

Marriage is a sport. :rolleyes:

But if target shooting can be in the Olympics as a sport, I'm not sure why Pool is any less. For that matter golf seems pretty similar, just on a bigger green.

Heck, I've heard the definition "if you can't play defense it is not a sport" but in pool you actually CAN play defense.

Now if I can just convince my wife learning to shoot pool makes me an athlete....(but she plays the "spouse" sport better than I, so it's hopeless).

By your first definition (which I think you may have been joking), checkers, chess, street fighter II, etc are all sports. I'm with you about shooting. I just refuse to believe pool is a sport. Same for poker, darts, shooting, etc. I get it some people disagree, but that's my opinion. I am always open to hearing why people consider it a sport though!

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Since we're discussing this again, can someone please explain to me how pool is a sport? I forgot and honestly can't get there in my head.

First we have to talk about which pool shaft is the best, which chalk, how to aim, we need to take over/unders for the amount of time it will take to become an SL8 from an SL3, the best spots to gamble in, whether you should look at the cue ball or object ball last, which tips are the best, the type of game you need to play, where to break from, which type of balls are best, lint-picking orientation, commentator quality and a few other tidbits.

Let us know when you're ready after you've started a thread on each that devolves into flame wars and bans. Then maybe ... just maybe, we can talk about sport vs game.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Since we're discussing this again, can someone please explain to me how pool is a sport? I forgot and honestly can't get there in my head.

Chess is a game......Stephen Hawking would play good chess.

Pool is a sport....Hawking can't hit the end rail.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be more drained by gardening for 12 hours straight. Doesn't make it a sport.
This has been asked here about a million times over the years. WHAT defines a sport? I see NASCAR results on ESPN. So is stock-car racing a sport? Diving? Seriously? Jumping into water? Point i'm trying to make is there is NO clear definition of what is/isn't sport. Dictionary def. vary but one i just found is: "any activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individ. or team competes against another individ. or team". Pretty broad brush that can be applied to a lot of things. I guess even gardening if you could get your neighbor to post-up and do a little weeding for the $$$. ;)

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been asked here about a million times over the years. WHAT defines a sport? I see NASCAR results on ESPN. So is stock-car racing a sport? Diving? Seriously? Jumping into water? Point i'm trying to make is there is NO clear definition of what is/isn't sport. Dictionary def. vary but one i just found is: "any activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individ. or team competes against another individ. or team". Pretty broad brush that can be applied to a lot of things. I guess even gardening if you could get your neighbor to post-up and do a little weeding for the $$$. ;)

That'll do! All we can agree on is that it's subjective. I can accept that.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That'll do! All we can agree on is that it's subjective. I can accept that.
The one that gets me is curling. I get the skill part but where's the exertion? Hell i could play that and do shots at the same time and its in the freakin' Olympics!!

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The one that gets me is curling. I get the skill part but where's the exertion? Hell i could play that and do shots at the same time and its in the freakin' Olympics!!

I would contend that there is more physical exertion in curling than pool. But I agree with you!