xzero mini raptor

Facundus Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I after almost a year I got around to setting up my mini raptor. I have everything up and running and now tuning it in. Does anyone know the correct steps per inch for the ballscrews on this machine. I have played a little with the automatic setup but just wondering if anyone has the real answer. X seems good with 5080 on a g540 with 10 microsteps but my y is off. George is really hit or miss these days and I have not had much luck with him

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
Well I after almost a year I got around to setting up my mini raptor. I have everything up and running and now tuning it in. Does anyone know the correct steps per inch for the ballscrews on this machine. I have played a little with the automatic setup but just wondering if anyone has the real answer. X seems good with 5080 on a g540 with 10 microsteps but my y is off. George is really hit or miss these days and I have not had much luck with him

Like Joey said ... use a dial indicator and adjust the steps per inch in your program so it moves 1 inch exactly.
Then you will know for sure your machine is set up and moves accurately.

Willee

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And while you have the dial indicator there, after you have the scale correct, measure the backlash in both directions for all 3 axes. That can reveal something not quite right and good to know.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And while you have the dial indicator there, after you have the scale correct, measure the backlash in both directions for all 3 axes. That can reveal something not quite right and good to know.

Can you expand on the process to check for backlash, Kelly?

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you expand on the process to check for backlash, Kelly?

1. Set to incremental/fixed distance travel mode in your controller software. I don't use Mach, so I may not be calling the term exactly how it reads in Mach.
2. Set the travel distance to something like .020" of travel.
3. Tap the key a couple of times to send the machine in a certain direction for one of the axes.
4. Set the dial indicator up against the machine and zero out indicator/make note of reading.
5. Tap the key once to go the opposite direction from number 3.
6. Note the amount the dial indicator moved. If your travel increment in the controller software is .020" and the dial indicator moved .018", there is .002" of backlash for that axis in that direction.
7. Repeat for same axis in other direction. It will probably be the same...but...
8. Repeat for the other 2 axes.

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Set to incremental/fixed distance travel mode in your controller software. I don't use Mach, so I may not be calling the term exactly how it reads in Mach.
2. Set the travel distance to something like .020" of travel.
3. Tap the key a couple of times to send the machine in a certain direction for one of the axes.
4. Set the dial indicator up against the machine and zero out indicator/make note of reading.
5. Tap the key once to go the opposite direction from number 3.
6. Note the amount the dial indicator moved. If your travel increment in the controller software is .020" and the dial indicator moved .018", there is .002" of backlash for that axis in that direction.
7. Repeat for same axis in other direction. It will probably be the same...but...
8. Repeat for the other 2 axes.

Thanks for the tip. I will check mine out for backlash. Am new to this stuff.

xz george

Microsteps x 200 = steps per turn for most common steppers. (so 2000 with a gecko for example cause they only have 10 micro-steps)
Then you want to know steps per inch, so you need to know the turns per inch. 10mm pitch screw is 2.54 turns per inch.
2.54x2000 = 5080 steps per inch.

xz george

on the ball nut the size and pitch are on there