Fixing chips in pool cues?

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So tonight I learned a life lesson, I let a drunk buddy shoot a game with my new Joss cue while I was outside. I get to work tonight and I'm doing some stroke practice and notice a small chip in the ebony on the butt sleeve. It's nothing major, just a bit of an eye sore since I know it's there and will see it every time I look at the cue.

Is there some sort of clear or black epoxy or resin I could use to fill the tiny chip? It's a bit too deep for nail polish.

WVShootist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As it stands, my plan is to fill it with black JB weld using a toothpick tip. Then even it with 1,000 grit sandpaper then do a light swipe of clear nail polish over it.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you can fill it with Cyanoacrylate (Super Glue), build it up, then wet sand it or something. Read about the process somewhere here, you should be able to find in a search. Good luck.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can do what you wish. Personally, I would send it to Joss and have it repaired correctly.

Agree. I played around trying to fill/cover damaged areas. I knew the consequence...just wanted to experience & learn. Ended up
having it professionally repaired after I tried to DIY.
May I suggest to the OP to practice on a junk or cheap cue if you are going to proceed.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very hard to self-repair a chip in the butt that has a typical cue finish. You can do all the filling and buffing you want, but you're going to notice it. Options are either a professional finish, or wait until you have some more dings in it, and then it's still the best course.

All the best,
WW