Predator 314-3 Turned down to 12.5

Kingpin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went ahead and purchased the 314-3 after hitting with a friends cue. After some reading, I have found that people are having the shaft turned down to a 12.5mm or something close to this in order to get a little more out of the shaft. My question is, once the tip and ferrule are turned down, how are people finishing the taper on the rest of the shaft? I was imagining a person wouldn't want to continue the 12.5 mm back 10-12 inches like a normal pro taper. Instead, would a conical taper from the ferrule to about 8-10 inches back be the best way to keep it playing close to the same and get the benefits of the smaller tip diameter? Does anyone else have an idea on how it should be tapered? I'm trying to keep it as hard hitting as I can while keeping a smooth transition between 12.5 to 12.75. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

Cocoa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went ahead and purchased the 314-3 after hitting with a friends cue. After some reading, I have found that people are having the shaft turned down to a 12.5mm or something close to this in order to get a little more out of the shaft. My question is, once the tip and ferrule are turned down, how are people finishing the taper on the rest of the shaft? I was imagining a person wouldn't want to continue the 12.5 mm back 10-12 inches like a normal pro taper. Instead, would a conical taper from the ferrule to about 8-10 inches back be the best way to keep it playing close to the same and get the benefits of the smaller tip diameter? Does anyone else have an idea on how it should be tapered? I'm trying to keep it as hard hitting as I can while keeping a smooth transition between 12.5 to 12.75. Any help is appreciated.

Kingpin,

What are you trying to accomplish by removing .010 form the diameter? If improving its deflection properties you will hardly notice a difference?

Kingpin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to go 12.4mm but Im unsure about the playing difference. I can always take off more, its the adding back on that scares me. My goal is to find out how much of a difference it makes and whether I like it.
Im hoping to find out how the people who have done it, continue the taper on their shaft. Any info helps so hopefully others can add some feedback.