How far can you throw your balls?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many misconceptions about throw in this thread. I don't have time to address them individually at the moment, but all of the answers are included (with supporting resources) in items 16-37 in the numbered list beneath the videos and illustrations on the squirt/swerve/throw effects resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Excellent resources.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I can't figure it out, but I believe in peer review, so if several others set up the same test that I did, and they can't achieve more than 5 degrees of throw, then I'd concede. However, could there be additional cling happening with high speeds and excess humidity causing more throw, and could Aramith Tourneys have a unique response under these conditions?
Humidity should not have any direct effect on throw (unless the mugginess is causing chalk dust to stick to the balls more, and you are not wiping them between each shot). Maximum throw much more than 5 degrees is very possible depending on ball conditions, surface treatment, and whether there is cling/skid/kick or not. Also, in your experiment, the size (and effective size at different speeds) of the pocket is a factor.

See all of the resource pages linked in the paragraph above for more info and demonstrations.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are many misconceptions about throw in this thread. I don't have time to address them individually at the moment, but all of the answers are included (with supporting resources) in items 16-37 in the numbered list beneath the videos and illustrations on the squirt/swerve/throw effects resource page.
Excellent resources.
Thanks. I aim to swerve. :grin-square:

Regards,
Dave

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please forgive me, everyone. I just tried to accomplish the same results with a ball as a boundary so I couldn't squirt towards a thicker aim, and yup, I'm doing something crazy with my stroke that kept touching that boundary ball. Sorry for the buggy ride. :embarrassed2:

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please forgive me, everyone. I just tried to accomplish the same results with a ball as a boundary so I couldn't squirt towards a thicker aim, and yup, I'm doing something crazy with my stroke that kept touching that boundary ball. Sorry for the buggy ride. :embarrassed2:

Swiping the Rock is a useful technique to get more throw.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you mean by swiping the rock?

Brushing (swiping) the tip across the face of the cue ball (rock) usually toward the outside of the CB like applying BH English at and during impact while the tip is being compressed by the force of the stroke to increase RPMs.

It is held by some that this increases the throw angle on the OB over a conventional straight stroke.

You said:
"...my stroke that kept touching that boundary ball..."
So you were swiping the rock (Black Jargon) and why you got more than 5 degrees of throw on the OB.

Some (PJ) hold that this is not possible for the contact time is so short that the CB escapes immediately which may be true for a straight through stroke without BHE swipe.

I find that what you are doing to get more throw is useful to know and use to send the rock around the table. LOL

Here is a thread that touches on the subject you are wanting to know more about.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=417113&highlight=swipe+stroke

Last edited:

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, dumluk. Sadly, I wasn't "swiping the rock" as you suggest. I was just mishitting the cueball. I placed a ball near the object ball and just barely out of the way for a particular aim, so if the cue ball struck this additional ball on its way to the object ball, it showed that the cueball was approaching the object ball on a thicker than intended path.

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, dumluk. Sadly, I wasn't "swiping the rock" as you suggest. I was just mishitting the cueball. I placed a ball near the object ball and just barely out of the way for a particular aim, so if the cue ball struck this additional ball on its way to the object ball, it showed that the cueball was approaching the object ball on a thicker than intended path.

So this isn't about throw.

The thread should be "How far can you mishit your balls?"

Nevermind.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So this isn't about throw.

The thread should be "How far can you mishit your balls?"

Nevermind.

Yes. The thread is about throw. It just isn't about me and my problems. ;) Just because I misjudged what I was doing, doesn't mean others shouldn't test how much throw they can apply.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
LAMas,

There are potential benefits to a swiping stroke for some people, as outlined on the stroke swoop resource page; however, getting more throw is not one of them.

Do you think a swoop stroke can apply more sidespin to the CB than a straight stroke with an equivalent effective aim and tip offset? If so, please try the experiment described in "Swoop Experiment" (BD, August, 2015) and demonstrated in NV F.2 - Swoop Stroke Experiment - Can swooping create extra spin on the cue ball?.

Even if a swiping or swoop stroke could generate more spin on the CB (which is not the case), this would not create more spin-induced throw (SIT) anyway (except for large cut angles and outside english). For straight and small-to-medium cut-angle shots, beyond a certain amount, more spin (outside or inside) actually creates less throw. For more info, see see "Throw - Part V: SIT speed effects" - BD, December, 2006.

Regards,
Dave

Brushing (swiping) the tip across the face of the cue ball (rock) usually toward the outside of the CB like applying BH English at and during impact while the tip is being compressed by the force of the stroke to increase RPMs.

It is held by some that this increases the throw angle on the OB over a conventional straight stroke.

You said:
"...my stroke that kept touching that boundary ball..."
So you were swiping the rock (Black Jargon) and why you got more than 5 degrees of throw on the OB.

Some (PJ) hold that this is not possible for the contact time is so short that the CB escapes immediately which may be true for a straight through stroke without BHE swipe.

I find that what you are doing to get more throw is useful to know and use to send the rock around the table. LOL

Here is a thread that touches on the subject you are wanting to know more about.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=417113&highlight=swipe+stroke

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said, nevermind.
If it works, for some, then don't fix it - use it.

swipe spin.JPG

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly sure how most are running their tests, but I thought it would be good to mention, to get maximum effect, the cue ball needs to start its launch point and remain on the surface of the table as long as possible from the start.

A hopping cb is not going to get you maximum throw in the conventional sense of what we consider a typical shot. Most would be surprised how difficult it is to keep a cb on the surface of the table.

Example:

I believe this is relevant. Back in the late 80's, I saw Nick Varner play in my local pool hall. I didnt know much about the physics of the game, but one thing struck me odd. It was not an illusion. I noticed when he hit with high english, the cb often rolled as if it were magnetized to the table.

This tells me stroked in such a way that gave the cb as true a roll as possible if need be.

It's not quite that easy to keep a cb on the surface of the table.