how are ya'll doing in league ?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
finally! after losing 15 of my last 16 matches (!!!) as an SL6, I won...and convincingly. 15-5 vs a 5, and it wasn't even that close. Felt great...I was about to give up.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it possible you're not giving him enough credit when it's time to rock and roll?

I can lose to everyone at practice or just knocking them around.

No, I give the man all the credit, he shoots solid at all times, probably why he is the best in the league and has been for several years. He deserves his 7. However, my shooting absolutely goes to pot as soon as the match starts against this guy. I had my chances during the match, several easy 4 ball run outs with ball in hand after playing excellent safeties...then choking to death on the third shot of each of them. The Two games I did win I had 6 or better ball runs...but those were the only 2 games I put runs together even though at least 6 of the games they were there.

Living and learning. I need to be better able to play the table rather than get frazzled by who my opponent is...gonna work on this by gambling a little with people I have no business gambling against...but hey it is only money I guess

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
didn't play this week. Last match and there were 2 of us left so I said let the better player play. Try to be a team guy. (he did win by the way)

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
My amazing APA 9-ball team won their flight at LTC and are heading to Vegas! Maybe I get a room, too! Either way, I'm crashing it!

No Limit Leaggue end of year tournament ( not just the division ). I didn't win, but played pretty flawlessly. It's a single elimination, and I was giving 9-3 in 9-ball. My opponent won the lag by a millimeter, and proceeded to break in the 9-ball. Every game that I actually shot, I won without much fanfare. But on game 7, I broke dry. He went for the 9-ball and made it off some ball. 2-5.

Then he break and runs the next rack. I lose 3-5. I won every game I shot if you consider breaking dry isn't shooting in a rack....

It hurts because (one of )the best player(s) in San Diego (Sina Valizadeh) got knocked out in the first round, and at that point I figured it was my tournament to win ($500 first place). Oh well. Not to be.

On to the next.

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been losing interest in playing lately. Probably getting burnt out from playing too much.

I skipped the last 2 weeks of Tuesday night tap.

Skipped the 2 previous weeks of Monday night double jeapordy but played this past Monday...more in that in a minute.

Skipped the last 3 weeks of Fri night scotch doubles and decided to quit that night entirely.

Was gonna skip Thursday night last wed but went because we were shorthanded.

So how have I been playing when I do show ?

Thursday night 9 ball the last 3 weeks. Lowered to a 5 that night and Los 19-1 to another 5 who has never beaten me. Was raised to a 6 the fillowing Thursday and Los to another 6 by 16-4. Back down to a 5 this past Thursday and win 15-5 vs a 4 who I had never beat before.

Last Monday night lost 8 ball 4-1 vs another 5. Now this is gonna be hard to believe. Lost 9 ball 18-2 vs a 2. Points wise it was a 19-15 beat down in 12 innings with this 2 playing 3 safes ....damn good safes and leaving me kicking a couple of times when he missed. In 7 years of playing spa i have never seen a 2 play a safe let alone 3in one match. The first safe he played I muttered wtf ? Not realizing I said it loud enough for both teams to hear. They all turned and looked at me and I said ...a fvcking 2 playing a lockdown safe ? Every one started laughing.

Sunday night double jeopardy. Cant seem to recall any particulars about those matches or even who I played. Lets just say I haven't won a match on Sundays in 3 weeks or so.

It seems like when I do show my head aint in it.

Thinking seriously about dropping Monday nights and just playing tap on Tuesdays...masters once a month on Sundays and the Thursday and sunday team I am captain of.

I hope I have my act together when we play 9 ball ltc next weekend.

Ironhead1970

Registered
I've been playing in APA 3 times a week and I'm a 3 in 8-ball and only a 2 in 9-ball I've only been seriously playing for about 6 months. I usually win my 8 and 9-ball games Thursday and Friday night's. I also play in the afternoon on Sunday and it seems like I genuinely lose in both 8 & 9 ball on Sunday. Don't understand it's keeping my stats down though I would like to change that once I figure out what's going on.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played masters today and faced another 5 twice. Won the first match 7-5 and lost the 2nd one 7-6. At least I ain't sucking like I am in handicapped divisions.

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had maybe the best league performance of my league playing days last night.

I played the same 5 in 8 and 9 ball. He is a newer league player and a really good shot.

In 9 ball, which we played first, I opened with a break where I dropped a ball and left an iffy shot on the one ball, played a lock up safe and wired the 1/9 into the corner, he missed I won. Second rack 4 balls on break including the 9 for the win. Third rack was another 1/9 for the win. Fourth rack I broke dry, he made 3 balls then missed, I ran out. Last rack I left a pretty easy three ball runout but he hung the 9, match over...5 games, 17 shots for a rackless victory.

He Came out much stronger in 8 ball, He won the lag, broke and ran a few then missed, I missed and he got out, same story for the second game. Third Rack he broke, made two, then I ran the table. Fourth and fifth games I broke dry he ran 3-4 balls each time, then missed and I got out both times without missing...last game I broke, got all the way down to the eight and was hooked...played a couple of good safeties and he was able to clear four or five of his balls, but I finally made a short masse shot for the win.

Very happy with my performance last night...the 8 ball match may have me going up to a 6, which would be kida cool, then I would get another game every week for my 7 bucks HAHA.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
No Limit League

Played 9-ball against another top player 9-9 race. 8' bar table in pitiful condition, and too many obstacles. Sometimes some great pool was played. Other times we struggled with the varying speed of the cushions.

I was behind he whole match til I caught him on the hill. With winner breaks, I hit a beautiful break, theee balls down, huge spread, but the cueball got kissed into the side pocket. I lost the cueball a hair, so it wasn't just bad luck.

Nice out by my opponent from there, though he did get bad on the 8-ball (speed on this table is done by Braille).

I lose 9-8, but had a really fun time playing and that's what it's all about.

Freddie

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not anyplace else to brag so I will do it here. Got upgraded to a 6 after a fantastic performance this week.. started out as a 4 in this league Nov 2015...was a 5 a few weeks later and my game has really advanced in the past year thanks to a lot of practice, some great videos by Zero-x and a good attitude.

Quite happy about this!!!

Look out 7...I am coming for ya!

shapelessin206

Registered
After playing APA for some time, I recently started playing 9-ball in BCA and TAP. I'm enjoying both quite a bit. I won't go so far to say I won't play APA ever again, but I certainly like the winning racks format better than points per ball.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got back from 9 ball ltc's . Another heartbreaker. :frown:

Yesterday my team came out firing on all 8 cylinders. Every one beat every one they faced....but my 3. She is a whole story in itself.

In the 1st round I faced a 9 in a 46-75 race . I won 46-44 I believe it was.....anyway the score was 15-5. He played 18 safes and only got bih once.

2nd round only went 4 matches . We won pretty handily with 2-4's and 2-5's . I did not play.

I decided I would go with the same line up today in the 3rd round. Every one fell flat. My 5 who beat a 7 yesterday lost to another 5 by 15-5. My 4 who beat another 4 yesterday by the 14-6 lost by the same score today to another 4.

So we are down 29-11. I am thinking of throwing my best 4. My co captain and 2 other team mates say I oughta throw my best 5. He beat a 6 yesterday 18-2. I say they will dump on him....i know I would being up that much when I still can go with 8-2 or the best 5 in the league and a damn good 4. They Sa we dont have much choice but to throw him being down like we are. Well I relent and throw my 5. Sure enough they dump on him with a 3. I tell my 5 that this guy is a damn good 3 and gets more lucky rolls than any player on earth.

Sure enough this 3 has the game of his life and beats my 5 by 19-1 .

Now they throw out their 8. That shoots my 3-5's and 2-4's strategy all to hell. I now have to play and do the impossible and hop this 8 to 19 points and hope my 3 can do the impossible again their 2 .

1st rack I am ahead 6-4

2nd rack I am ahead 12-8.

3rd rack is tied at 15-15.

4th rack is tied at 20-20. They win. Cant understand why my team folded like they did today?

Pretty proud of the way I played. My lo said I oughta be a 7 lol.

You guys are gonna find this hard to fathom but I changed to things in my routine this weekend ...which led to my level of play.

1. Drinking jack and coke. In moderation of course but enough to feel the effects.

2. Swapped cues. I pulled my cheap Chinese made sneaky Pete that I paid 20.00 for brand new 4 years ago out of the closet to play with. It's 21 ounces ant the best playing cue I have ever had. Skunked another 5 in Vegas with it 4 years ago and has not been used since...untill now.

Call me crazy if you want but the results of my play this weekend prove it works for me.

goombavskoopa

Registered
i forgot to post my follow up about league. we won our tri cups and will be going to Vegas in August. I cant wait. Team looks strong, getting ready to kick it into high gear

Mkindsv

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, went up to a six last week, then this week promptly let out a big ole poo right in my drawers. Got down 2-0 to a 4 (he had to win 3) so with him on the hill I play a flawless rack and run...then I win a sloppy game, 2-2. Break, Cue ball flies off the table, eight ball goes directly in the side pocket...that is how I lost my match. Will probably be a 5 again next week, but maybe my stats were solid enough to keep me at a 6...who knows.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monday night apa 8 ball I faced a 2 in a 5-2 race. This guy plays slooowwwww and took 4 bathroom breaks during our match. With his slow play I decided to run out ever rack ...if I could instead of playing my usual chess type match. I had one break and run.....first time in a year I think. I am up 3-0 and in the 4th rack I get stuck in one ball hell with the 8 surrounded by 6 of his balls. No way to get on the 8 except for a tricky 2 rail kick that may send the cue ball in the side pocket if I hit the 8 wrong. After contemplating it I decide to just give him bih. My captain gives me a wtf ? Look. I tell him the guy aint gonna run out. Sure enough he makes 1 ball and misses the next leaving me an easy shot on the 8.

5th rack is pretty much the same with him having 5 balls left so I just hand hum the cue ball again. Be darn if he don't run the table. So its hill - hill and I win the nexttl rack for a 5-1 win.

Tuesday night double tap . I win 8 ball 3-0 in a 3-3 race. Pretty uneventful match ...except he racks the 2nd rack for 9 ball and I never noticed before breaking. After breaking I look at the table and go ...wtf ? Nothing but solids and the 9 ball on the table . I turn around and say...hey I thought we was playing 8 ball. Every one laughed about that.

I won 9 ball 3-1 in a 3-7 race. This guy was damn good but I managed to shoot above myself 2 racks and had an was layout one rack when he scratched on the break in his lone win.

I am really beginning to like this tap league. Tougher players....shorted races and call pocket 8 ball. All pluses to me over apa but I am not quiting apa though.

Ravenbrook

Registered
Started played regularly in January after playing about 20 times in the past 20 years. Joined an 8 ball league for 5 weeks as it was winding down because a team was having trouble fielding 5 every week. Started off slowly and it came back little by little. Recently joined an APA 9 ball league. Biggest issue is different tables each week. 7 footers one week and 9 footers the next, not to mention the speed differences. I started off as a 4 and with my nerves being off I lost my first match 29-31 the first week. So what does our league do? They make me a 3 the next 3 weeks! HA! Completely pounded the 3 poor people they put against me. I apologized to each of them after the match about the handicap system and why I was a 3 then. So they raised me to a 4 last week. Beat another 4 pretty good as I was getting a bit more in stroke. So after one week as a 4 they raised me to a 5. My captain put me up second and they put up a 4 against me. First rack I break, nothing. He misses the 1 and I run out. After two racks all he made was the 9 ball so it's 18-2. By the end of the night I had played the best pool of my life and ended up beating the poor kid 38-3. I apologized to him and explained that the handicap system has me as a 5 and by the end of the season I hope to be a 7. I talked to his captain who I think is his father too and plays as an 8 himself, and explained the handicap debacle. He said not to worry, I've been playing APA since the first year it started and that he has no worries that I'll be handicapped properly by the end of the year. He also was kind of glad his player got his butt handed to him because he felt he could use this to motivate him to practice more. I'm just happy to be playing two nights a week and seeing improvement every week. Can't wait to start playing against some higher ranked opponents to make it a more competitive match!

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got back from 9 ball ltc's . Another heartbreaker. :frown:
Yesterday my team came out firing on all 8 cylinders. Every one beat every one they faced....but my 3. She is a whole story in itself.
In the 1st round I faced a 9 in a 46-75 race . I won 46-44 I believe it was.....anyway the score was 15-5. He played 18 safes and only got bih once.
2nd round only went 4 matches . We won pretty handily with 2-4's and 2-5's . I did not play.
I decided I would go with the same line up today in the 3rd round. Every one fell flat. My 5 who beat a 7 yesterday lost to another 5 by 15-5. My 4 who beat another 4 yesterday by the 14-6 lost by the same score today to another 4.
So we are down 29-11. I am thinking of throwing my best 4. My co captain and 2 other team mates say I oughta throw my best 5. He beat a 6 yesterday 18-2. I say they will dump on him....i know I would being up that much when I still can go with 8-2 or the best 5 in the league and a damn good 4. They Sa we dont have much choice but to throw him being down like we are. Well I relent and throw my 5. Sure enough they dump on him with a 3. I tell my 5 that this guy is a damn good 3 and gets more lucky rolls than any player on earth.
Sure enough this 3 has the game of his life and beats my 5 by 19-1 .
Now they throw out their 8. That shoots my 3-5's and 2-4's strategy all to hell. I now have to play and do the impossible and hop this 8 to 19 points and hope my 3 can do the impossible again their 2 .
1st rack I am ahead 6-4
2nd rack I am ahead 12-8.
3rd rack is tied at 15-15.
4th rack is tied at 20-20. They win. Cant understand why my team folded like they did today?
Pretty proud of the way I played. My lo said I oughta be a 7 lol.
You guys are gonna find this hard to fathom but I changed to things in my routine this weekend ...which led to my level of play.

1. Drinking jack and coke. In moderation of course but enough to feel the effects.

2. Swapped cues. I pulled my cheap Chinese made sneaky Pete that I paid 20.00 for brand new 4 years ago out of the closet to play with. It's 21 ounces ant the best playing cue I have ever had. Skunked another 5 in Vegas with it 4 years ago and has not been used since...untill now.
Call me crazy if you want but the results of my play this weekend prove it works for me.
You defiled good Jack Daniels by mixing it with coke?
Say it isn't so.. :wink: :thumbup:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You defiled good Jack Daniels by mixing it with coke?
Say it isn't so.. :wink: :thumbup:

Lol.. In my defense I have to admit I quit drinking completely 6 years ago due to high blood pressure. My game suffered for a while ...actually I very seldom shoot as good as I did then..i was a 6 in 8 ball when I quit and have been a 5 ever since..i was a 5 in 9 ball back then but have managed to reach a 6 several times in the last year.

I am not going to get into whether alcohol does or does not help you play better ... Just gonna say what works for me. Now I just drink a few during high level tournaments and my game goes up a notch...or 2 . :D

I think cutting back lately has helped improve my game...then again you cant really tell by one nights results but I felt like my old self tonight and my game reflected it.

Played a 6/8 in both 8 and 9 ball. Won 8 ball 4-0 in a 4-5 race and won 9 ball 38-38 in a 38-65 race for a 16-4 score. Might just move back up to a 6 after this match.

I picked up a new player tonight that moved from Michigan who is a 4/4. He impressed me in 8 ball but not so much in 9 ball. He could make a darn good 3 though.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No APA or BCA around me. Small town VNEA league, run by the vendor that provides the tables. 8-ball on 7'. We won our league this year by beating the team that has won it every time, for over twenty years. We then played in the end of season tournament. Over two hundred teams in our division, we won that. The guy that runs our team, is our best shooter and owns the place we play out of. He was smiling BIG.