What is the best & your favorite shaft !!!

Your Favorite Shaft

• Total voters

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So i decided to make a poll and get more info. This poll will be different on other threads coz this is more on a survey of your favoritte shaft, the playability, the control in general, the stiffness , low defelection and other characteristics of the shaft.

This will be a good survey for everyone and will give us more info according to the end user's opinion and not just by marketing.

Please have a time to explain also the characteristics of your favorite shaft.

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As of now I like the OB classic coz of the stiffness , playability and control in the ball. I already sold my 314-2 shaft. Yet I also ordered the SS360 of Bob Danielson after reading a lot of good reviews from the end users. I will only vote after getting this shaft by May 2015. So as of now my favorite shaft is OB Classic Pro compare to 314-2 shaft.

Another shaft that I've seen with good reviews from the end users are Mezz shafts and Jacoby Edge Hybrid. I just hope, i will have a chance to try these shafts.

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please note that I created this thread since the voting of others poll has been closed long time back and not updated shaft. This is more in general and your favorite shaft not just the stiffest or LD shaft. I hope everyone will participate and give us an info that will help a newbie in cues/shaft like me

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compiling and quoted some good reviews of each SHAFT...

Today, 01:51 AM

Tried the SS360 from Bob Danielson , i can't find the right words to describe how good this shaft is !!!
The last few weeks i tested almost every shaft out there but none of them came even close to the qualty and playabiliy of the SS360 , this shaft is just amazing .
Bob i don't know how you do it but you nailed it .
The one i tested was 12mm and as far as LD it comes really close to the Z2 , but with all the feedback you can only dream of .
Everybody who wants an outstanding LD shaft just needs to contact Bob Danielson , he will put a smile on your face just like he did with me .
Unbelievable , i just couldn't stop playing with this shaft .
I guarantee you if you play with this shaft you never want another shaft ever again .

After playing with Mezz for a while now and being fortunate to own all the types of Mezz shafts. I`m going to atempt to sum up my experiences with the different shafts.

I`m going to start with the break shafts.
Mezz makes 3 different ones:
1. Deep Impact
2. Deep Impact Pro R
3. Deep Impact Pro H

The Deep Impact is a stiff tapered Maple shaft with a bakelite ferrule, it comes with the Mezz Sonic tip. Tip diameter is 13mm.
This is a great break shaft, the stiff taper transfers lots of energy to the CB.

The Deep Impact Pro R is a maple shaft with a ash wood core. It has a G10 ferrule and uses the Mezz sonic tip.
The tip diameter is 13mm and the taper is the same as for the Deep Impact shaft.
The ash core makes the shaft slightly heavier than the Deep Impact shaft. Mine weights about 4.4oz while the Deep Impact weights 4.2oz
The shaft is stiffer than the regular Deep Impact and delivers more energy, yet the shaft still has some flex.
The Deep Impact Pro H has a Massaranduba core, other than that it`s excactly the same spec as the Deep Impact Pro R shaft. The Massaranduba wood is much denser, my shaft weights just over 5.3oz!
This shaft does not bend at all when you break, so you get maximum power transfer.

Personally I use a SVB type break and I find the "H" shaft actually a bit too stiff for that type of break, so I prefer the "R" shaft.
If you have a very accurate break and have more of the Johnny Archer type of break, the "H" shaft might work better.
For a novice player, the regular Deep Impact shaft is more than good enough.

Now to the Mezz playing shafts:

All shafts I tested is 30" long and uses the Mezz United Joint.

WX/D700: This is the shaft that most Mezz cues comes with, it has a relatively long taper, regular length Nylon ferrule and a 12.5mm tip diameter. The ones I have owned or played with have all had very nice tight grain and a weight just shy of 4oz.
Mezz cals the front end technology ISS and the shaft is indeed a Low Deflection shaft.
It deflects a little less than a 314/2 shaft, but feels like a solid maple shaft.
I find that this shaft works best with a Soft or Medium hardness tip.

Hybrid Alpha: This is Mezz biggest tip diameter shaft, mine measures excactely 12.8mm and weights almost 4.2oz.
It uses the Mezz Hybrid Carbon Core (HCC) technology. The taper is more conical than the other Mezz shafts.
This shaft is stiff! so I find that a nice Soft tip like Zan works best. For me the shaft is too thick and there is not enough flex in the shaft. The HCC technology transfers energy very efficient, I tend to over run position, especially on draw shot with this shaft.

Hybrid Pro II: Mezz top of the line shaft. 12.5mm tip diameter, weights around 4oz and uses the HCC technology, but the taper is much more comfortable (quite like the WX700) This shaft also works best with a Soft tip. Energy transfer is great due to the HCC technology. The shaft deflects about the same as a 314/2 shaft. A great, but quite stiff shaft.

WX900: The newest Mezz shaft, Short ferrule, long taper and 12mm tip diameter.
Deflection is between Z2 and 314/2, but the shaft has the feel of a solid maple shaft.
This is my favourite Mezz shaft. The weight is around 3.8, 3.9oz
Works well with both Soft and Medium tips.

Looking at the Mezz site, I see most Euro and American players use either WX700 or WX900, while the Hybrid Pro II and Hybrid Alpha seems to be favoured in Asia.
Why this is, I don`t know. Maybe tables in Asia play slower, so they need the increased power from the HCC technology?

Other shafts I have tried includes: Z2, 314/2, i2, i3, OB 1, 2, Classic, Pro, Vikore, Lucasi Hybrid, Tiger Pro, Pro X and regular maple shafts from various cue makers.
These shafts are tested in all kinds of configurations, so it`s harder to make direct comparisons.

All the Mezz shafts are tested on my Mezz and Exceed cues, all with the United joint.
I have tried some of the shafts with the Mezz Wavy joint and I honestly can`t feel much of a difference.

I've owned both and the Predator is better hands down.

I had the I1, so that may make a difference as it's also a break shaft, primarily so, perhaps. I have to say it breaks great, and I regret selling it to this day. Damn those too-good-to-turn-down offers you later regret...

But the 314-2 is miles better as a playing cue, not least because the I1 deflects quite a lot. The McD warranty is superb, however.

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB shaft reviewed

OB Classic + is best low deflection shaft out there imo I've used them all :thumbup:

-OB Classic Shaft Review-

A few weeks back I had the opportunity to borrow a OB Classic shaft *12.75mm and hit with it for a few days. Below is my review:

One of the first things I do when examine any pool products: cues, cases, tools etc. is look at the finish and quality of execution. After close inspection of the shaft I could tell each shaft was made with great detail as there were no excessive glue lines and no over lay of woods or materials. Each segment was masterfully cut and crafted.

I then flexed the shaft and knew that it was going to have a stiff hit. Not overly stiff but the kind of support structure that you want when using "force follow". My ears perked up with that excitement to see how it would handle on the table.

The tap in the insert was precision and the diameter fit flush to my current cue at .850.

Each ferrule is unlike the previous ob shafts in which are composed of wood segments. I estimate the ferrule to be roughly 1/4 inch in length. The ob classic shaft was designed with a small white ferrule made of a plastic type ferrule * unsure of the exact name*.

I have owned the original ob-1 with the wooden ferrule and the hit was significantly more muted and silenced than a normal shaft.

The shafts are non - cored and weigh in between 3.9 to 4.1 oz depending on the joint pin of your cue. Insert pins for 5/16-14 will weigh more naturally. My shaft was a flat face 3/8-10 and still was solid. No light weights with these shafts.

I'm a detailed shooter who takes into account a lot of factors in my pre shot routine. From the silky smoothness of my shaft, to the whiskering sound of my chalk swiping the tip as I chalk up.

The sound is of utter importance as it one of many factors that produce what players describe as feel. The shaft has great sound when striking the cue ball. This was the sound I so desperately missing from the original ob-1. I credit the introduction to the ferrule. Despite the fact that it was smaller than most low deflection shafts it provided the special ingredient that non low deflection shooters would enjoy. It took a while to get used to the small ferrule but after a few racks it was apparent to me that this shaft was designed to do one thing. Reduce deflection and incorporate that solid feel that is missing from many other low deflection shafts.

My first set up was done simply by placing the object ball between the 2 and 3 diamond near the corner pocket and the cue ball placed at the head string. This is basically a 3/4 length table straight shot.

I wanted to test the deflection, draw and the force follow to see how this shaft compared to my current stick. After spotting the ball and getting down to shoot the first couple of shots only one word came to mind "Wow".

The stop shots hit perfect. No side spin and no unintentional draw. I use the word often but it was "SOLID". Maybe due to the fact that the shaft isn't cored completely all the way through like the Predators or previous OB-1 shafts. My face was grinning to see if I could draw as easily as it I stopped the ball from several distances.

Placing the ball back to the spot I lowered to aim and then ping..drew the ball the entire length of the table and back to the head string. I tried the draw again to see if it was a fluke that i had drawn the ball that easily. The second and third time was just as easy and even more fluid as I had gotten used to the taper and the weight.

After about 5 or 6 times I was ready to see if it would hold up to the force follow that average low deflection shafts fall slightly short on. Moving the cue ball off angle so that my straight shots were no longer straight I placed top right force follow on the ball. Again I went down to aim then...ping...whitey pocketed the ob ball and danced around three rails back to the line I desired. The shaft didn't wimper, fault or back down.

I thought to myself. This is very very nice since low deflection spliced shafts has always worried me about stiffness and quality. With so many thousands of shafts made each year I'm glad a company such as OB cues has put out a product that I could be comfortable not only playing with but also depending on. When all the chips are out and the moneys on the table I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an OB Classic.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
First I bought an OB Classic. Just couldn't warm up to it. Then I bought a Fury HL 8 and a Fury EXII shaft. It was better. Then three months ago I bought a used JD Cue off of E-Bay. I don't know if the shafts are his LD shafts or not, but as far as I can tell the deflection is the same as the Fury EXII and I play a lot better with the JD Cue.

Ronson

Registered
for those voted OTHERS please let us know what shaft is that. Thanks

I'm guessing those people shoot with traditional maple shafts. Is this thread supposed to be a low deflection shaft poll? you did not specify. Cheers.

btw I love my i2 shaft but I have a vantage coming tomorrow, reserving judgment.

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm guessing those people shoot with traditional maple shafts. Is this thread supposed to be a low deflection shaft poll? you did not specify. Cheers.

btw I love my i2 shaft but I have a vantage coming tomorrow, reserving judgment.

No , as mentioned , this is general and ur favorite shaft and not only deflection shaft

MalibuMike

Banned
Try the Tiger Pro-X!

As of now I like the OB classic coz of the stiffness , playability and control in the ball. I already sold my 314-2 shaft. Yet I also ordered the SS360 of Bob Danielson after reading a lot of good reviews from the end users. I will only vote after getting this shaft by May 2015. So as of now my favorite shaft is OB Classic Pro compare to 314-2 shaft.

Another shaft that I've seen with good reviews from the end users are Mezz shafts and Jacoby Edge Hybrid. I just hope, i will have a chance to try these shafts.

I have shot and own all the same shafts that you list and have a SS 360/2 on order from Bob. It's taking a very long time but I like Bob and he is making it to my exsact demensions so I have great expectations. But I am very surprized that you have not tried the Tiger Pro-X shaft yet. It is heads above the Mezz, Jacoby's, Ob's and Predators! I am Hoping Bobs Shaft can beat it or come close!

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have shot and own all the same shafts that you list and have a SS 360/2 on order from Bob. It's taking a very long time but I like Bob and he is making it to my exsact demensions so I have great expectations. But I am very surprized that you have not tried the Tiger Pro-X shaft yet. It is heads above the Mezz, Jacoby's, Ob's and Predators! I am Hoping Bobs Shaft can beat it or come close!

Yes Mike I never try Tiger ProX. in this place of mine(middle east) no one plays with it. Im just waiting for my SS360 and maybe focus on my game. Im just new for playing seriously in billiards and buying cues, although Im old watching actual billiards games & playing as a hobby when im still in my home country in Philippines.

MalibuMike

Banned
Yes I know everyone from that part of the world plays with Predator,

Yes Mike I never try Tiger ProX. in this place of mine(middle east) no one plays with it. Im just waiting for my SS360 and maybe focus on my game. Im just new for playing seriously in billiards and buying cues, although Im old watching actual billiards games & playing as a hobby when im still in my home country in Philippines.

I know Efren toured the middle east for Predator, and everyone I know from there plays with one, I also lived in P.I in the 80's in Olongapo and I know what A God he is there. But Predator and OB are on the way out. That's why they are marketing so much and trying last ditch efforts to change their design and get away from those hallow shafts they were peddling to a more solid wood, radial laminated shaft, like Tiger. But they are too late, just look at all those old OB's with the sub-par wood going for next to nothing! Who is going to buy this Plus cue? Dummies! The same dummies who bought the 314, then the Z, and Z2, and 314-2 and Vantage. When All this Time they could have been playing with a Tiger Cue, same solid wood no-core technology OB is saying they innovated! Hell Meucci was doing this before anyone! I have played with them all and I keep going back to Tiger. But I'm an Aerospace Engineer with money to blow, so if you don't have a ton of scratch buy a Tiger! I like the Pro-X or perhaps Bob's really found the sweet-spot with his SS360, I'm waiting on mine and I at least know it will be custom-made to the specs I gave him and he is a good guy, not like this lot of hillbillies. This Texan thinks I got a hard-on against him personally? No! I forgot he stiffed me for a cue once. I've had several OB's some Blanks I sent to Schon even for Joint fitting. I played with there 1st J-line cue, then when I saw their 1st cue was basically a Tiger, I kept my eye on them and they have been copying Tiger ever since! I like Tony at Tiger, the cat from OB thinks cause he has some rinky-dink patent "Pending" nonsense he is Original but its all a scam, Like tiger is going to sue! Right! Look at all these shafts and tips, no one is going to sue anyone and get a dime! The cats out of the bag. Tiger doesn't advertise like these yokel's, they rely on word of mouth and repeat customers. These outfits like OB, Predator and Kamui with their clear tips and new nonsense get all the moron money, like Apple with their mini-mini cell phones or some gimmick that makes people have to shell out for a new up to date product every year. Its transparent! But what can you do. Try and tell people they been had and they get pissed I manage a Test Lab and run Tests on all these shafts and The Tiger Pro-X has the Least Squirt of any cue on the market. That is a fact, the conical taper helps. once you start with these "pro" tapers for people that follow-through too much instead of keeping a nice compact stroke there goes a lot of your accuracy... More Squirt. The OB Pro Plus is OB's best shaft but it is still a long way from hitting and giving firm feed-back like Tigers cues. Sorry OB!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gulyassy SPTX. Hands down the best shaft I've ever tried, and I've tried most of those listed.

Okay, my Christmas gift finally arrived today (APO is choked up this time of year)...I ordered a 30 inch Gulyassy SPTX (Strickland Pro Taper Extreme) for my Carolina Custom, with a Kamui Black Soft tip. I took it straight out to the pool room and logged in four hours--did everything I could think of with it to really test it out. Masse's as good as any shaft I've got, and I even jumped with it no problem (that's a 60 inch 20 oz cue, folks). I've never been a fan of LD shafts, having tried most of them out at some point since the very first Predators came out. Never saw that much advantage to them, and I hate the dead feeling of a hollowed out shaft. Not particularly a fan of laminated shafts, either, too stiff and kind of dead, too. So the idea of an LD shaft that's solid maple and has a pro taper really appealed to me. I wasn't disappointed, this shaft is phenomenal. My first three shots stunned me speechless. This shaft has more feel in it than any of my stock maple shafts.

First off, the taper is so long it's INSANE. On my shaft it goes back a full 20 inches before it rises up toward the joint collar. The Melamine ferrule is about 2/3 the size of my stock shafts' ivory ferrules...I assume the lighter, shorter ferrule and the extreme pro taper is what gives it its LD qualities. I find the deflection very close to first generation Predators and OB1 cues. I couldn't believe how far out I could hit the cue ball without a miss-cue (in fact, I only miss cued once all night, hitting the table and the cueball at the same instant. I could hit virtually anything with extreme inside english and had no issues making the shots. In fact, I was able to reliably run cut shots up the long rail without rubbing the rail at all more often than not--which I haven't been able to do in a LONG time. I ran a whole rack out with nothing but inside english. Spent a lot of time shooting 30 degree cut shots into the corner first with outside english, then set it back up and used inside english to see if I could put the cue ball in the same general spot...surprising how easy I was able to do that. Then I spent about an hour shooting nothing but slow soft spin shots--most fun I've had with my clothes on in decades!

The taper and the Kamui Black Soft really juice this shaft. A little bit goes A LONG WAY. The hit is medium-firm, probably firmer than it would be because of the shaft freeze. Drawing the cue ball was easy enough, but I was particularly impressed by the follow I could put on with this shaft/tip combo.

The shaft in no way feels "CUETech-ish" because of the shaft freeze. I couldn't feel anything, it was smooth as ice and felt like freshly sealed maple. If your hands get a little damp, you'll feel some significant drag, but just dry your hands! Or wear a glove, if you're playing in a very humid room or generally have sweaty hands.

You can spend a couple of hundred on much worse things...these shafts are so good they ought to be illegal. :cool:

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258162

Thanks man, first time i heard this so i do some research.. seems many like his shaft & cue too.

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thants a lot of shaft you have ha :)

I know Efren toured the middle east for Predator, and everyone I know from there plays with one, I also lived in P.I in the 80's in Olongapo and I know what A God he is there. But Predator and OB are on the way out. That's why they are marketing so much and trying last ditch efforts to change their design and get away from those hallow shafts they were peddling to a more solid wood, radial laminated shaft, like Tiger. But they are too late, just look at all those old OB's with the sub-par wood going for next to nothing! Who is going to buy this Plus cue? Dummies! The same dummies who bought the 314, then the Z, and Z2, and 314-2 and Vantage. When All this Time they could have been playing with a Tiger Cue, same solid wood no-core technology OB is saying they innovated! Hell Meucci was doing this before anyone! I have played with them all and I keep going back to Tiger. But I'm an Aerospace Engineer with money to blow, so if you don't have a ton of scratch buy a Tiger! I like the Pro-X or perhaps Bob's really found the sweet-spot with his SS360, I'm waiting on mine and I at least know it will be custom-made to the specs I gave him and he is a good guy, not like this lot of hillbillies. This Texan thinks I got a hard-on against him personally? No! I forgot he stiffed me for a cue once. I've had several OB's some Blanks I sent to Schon even for Joint fitting. I played with there 1st J-line cue, then when I saw their 1st cue was basically a Tiger, I kept my eye on them and they have been copying Tiger ever since! I like Tony at Tiger, the cat from OB thinks cause he has some rinky-dink patent "Pending" nonsense he is Original but its all a scam, Like tiger is going to sue! Right! Look at all these shafts and tips, no one is going to sue anyone and get a dime! The cats out of the bag. Tiger doesn't advertise like these yokel's, they rely on word of mouth and repeat customers. These outfits like OB, Predator and Kamui with their clear tips and new nonsense get all the moron money, like Apple with their mini-mini cell phones or some gimmick that makes people have to shell out for a new up to date product every year. Its transparent! But what can you do. Try and tell people they been had and they get pissed I manage a Test Lab and run Tests on all these shafts and The Tiger Pro-X has the Least Squirt of any cue on the market. That is a fact, the conical taper helps. once you start with these "pro" tapers for people that follow-through too much instead of keeping a nice compact stroke there goes a lot of your accuracy... More Squirt. The OB Pro Plus is OB's best shaft but it is still a long way from hitting and giving firm feed-back like Tigers cues. Sorry OB!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MalibuMike

Banned
It is alot!

Thants a lot of shaft you have ha :)

The Tiger Pro-X is my playing shaft, most of the others I have sold or given to friends. I kept the Mezz Pro II as it is the best cored shaft I have played with. Looking forward to BD Cues SS/360-2, can't wait to try it out!

theone77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As of now, most voted are other shaft although we dont have that much info then next is mezz shaft & OB white ferrule shaft...

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried a few shafts and finally got to the mezz wx900. not because ist LD but because it gives Feedback and stiffness.

Most shafts that could compare with it were custom made shafts.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I use a standard maple shaft made by Bob Frey. 30" long, 18" pro taper, 12.5 MM, black linen micarta ferrule and a G2 hard tip. 4.2 oz old growth.

It doesn't have a name like ZRX super overdrive turbo like almost all the shafts in this thread, it's not LD, it deflects which I embrace because if you understand deflection it can be your friend & not something to avoid