Super Early Josswest-Ivory Joint

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Just back from a restoration by Phillippi Cues.
From the rings I'm thinking it is a very early Joswest
Beautiful colors on the veneers, 3/8-10 flat faced ivory joint.
The two extra shafts 29" came from an old block letter Joss I'm told, a little different ring but a perfect fit, not an exact match but close.
The shafts range from 12.90 to 13.35.
The ivory ferrules on the original shafts had to be replaced.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
beautiful cue and great restoration
why did you choose phillipi to do the restoration??
just curious

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
beautiful cue and great restoration
why did you choose phillipi to do the restoration??
just curious

Bill Stroud isn't around and I had to send it somewhere. I've had good luck with Phillippi, it takes quite a while, but there's really nobody here that I trust to do this stuff.
I also have 2-JW's on the way from Paul Drexler.
Paul was bitten in the leg by a tic, so the shipment was delayed.

I can assure you that this cue restoration stuff ain't all peaches and cream

:smile:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great work and Rick is a great guy and Cue maker.
Drexler is lucky it was only 1 tic for where lives.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
1st time I've ever seen this said by a non Cue maker.
Well done Sir. Well done.

Takes a certain mindset, understanding of tooling, and quality equipment to do quality cue restorations, and not that many people are good at it.
Especially to work on other peoples cues.

Your name always comes up as another one of the few guys out there.
I know your shop is always busy and you only take on so much work at one time, but I would like work with you one of these days.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Takes a certain mindset, understanding of tooling, and quality equipment to do quality cue restorations, and not that many people are good at it.

I know your shop is always busy and you only take on so much work at one time, but I would like work with you one of these days.

Thank you very much. I have learned to limit my work load. I have and always will enjoy restorations. New England shows their support by keeping me off net. I am very lucky.
But if you ever need Original Palmer parts or inserts for the jw acme. I can help

Last edited:

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Thank you very much. I have learned to limit my work load. I have and always will enjoy restorations. New England shows their support by keeping me off net. I am very lucky.
But if you ever need Original Palmer parts or inserts for the jw acme. I can help

I have three Acme thread Josswests, 5/16-14.
One is a piloted ivory Joint and those shafts have white checkered instead of maple and are ok, but all three are a bit different and not completely interchangeable.
I would like to have a 5/16-14 standard thread JW shaft
tapped Acme
I think they would inherently fit snug, but I don't want a loose fit.

What would you do?

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have three Acme thread Josswests, 5/16-14.
One is a piloted ivory Joint and those shafts have white checkered instead of maple and are ok, but all three are a bit different and not completely interchangeable.
I would like to have a 5/16-14 standard thread JW shaft
tapped Acme
I think they would inherently fit snug, but I don't want a loose fit.

What would you do?

Ohhh. That's a good one. The answer might be on the size of the acme screw you have.
The o.d. of the screw from Mr. Stroud is .323x14 acme but I have seen a few .310x14 acme's. Which has always puzzled me because I think they were modified by someone other than Mr. Stroud. Do you know which one's you have?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is apparent that you made a great choice working with Rick Phillippi to have this beautiful cue refinished.

In a future restoration if you decide to work with Mike Webb, you will be similarly satisfied. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=327534. Close up pictures were posted later in the thread. Before committing to a restoration, Mike claimed that he could refinish rings so they would not pop. Four years later, the cue still looks and feels as great as the day Mike delivered it. As you can see, his knowledge of cue building techniques is encyclopedic.

TILT9

Banned
First Off _ beautiful restorative work!
juging the ring block work and joint pin,, I'll go 1978-1979.
(I would love to be right) ✨

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is apparent that you made a great choice working with Rick Phillippi to have this beautiful cue refinished.

In a future restoration if you decide to work with Mike Webb, you will be similarly satisfied. http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=327534. Close up pictures were posted later in the thread. Before committing to a restoration, Mike claimed that he could refinish rings so they would not pop. Four years later, the cue still looks and feels as great as the day Mike delivered it. As you can see, his knowledge of cue building techniques is encyclopedic.

Thank you very much. You were a pleasure to work with and a true gentleman. The reality for me is not to take on to much at one time anymore. I fell from Grace once so to speak. That will never happen again.

bstroud

Deceased
Nice restoration. Never a walk in the park.

I think that cue was made in Aspen. Pretty early any way.

Bill S.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Nice restoration. Never a walk in the park.

I think that cue was made in Aspen. Pretty early any way.

Bill S.

Thank you
I love collecting these old Josswests.

If you remember, what ferrule material other than ivory and yellow micarta, did you use back then.
Like something with a weave, or rolled & molded melamine

Thanks
Ted

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dig the cue.

I was hoping Stroud would chime in, glad to see his comments.

Yes, those Joss shafts are a close match. Very nostalgic setup...and I am sure a mean player.