Chris's Billiards Tourney, 1998

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the results from a Carom Corner tournament held at Chris's nearly 20 years ago. It's interesting that Jaspers had three matches to 50 over 3.0. Caudron had a rather average average. I'm not sure what the place decider was. There was a four-way tie for first. Leppens was playing with a handicap.

ChrissBill1998b.jpg

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure of the handicapping but look at Leppens. He had a great round.
Also interesting is like Jaspers killing it with 3's but still getting beat 3 matches.

Shooni beats Forton. Forton beats Sang Lee. Lots of that on this chart.

Great Tournament IMO

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Great Tournament IMO
Well, but, the high run was only 20.

For handicaps, the five best went to 50, the rest went to 40 against each other and 43 against the top pros.

Last edited:

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jaspers, Sang Lee, Ceulemans and Sayginer were seeded and played each other 50 - 50.
Non-seeds played each other 40 - 40. Seeds vs non-seeds played 50 - 43.
An exception was made for the non-seeded Caudron, he also played to 50.
Even though 4 players had a 10/3 record, there was only one play-off match, between the nrs. 1 and 2 in average: Sang Lee and Jaspers. Sang Lee won that play-off 50-26 in 24 (23) innings.

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember that Jaspers (back in the Netherlands, I was not in Chicago in 1998) told me he was "not amused" about the format. He thought he had won the tournament, having 10/3 but 1) more points made than Sang 2) a better average 3) having beaten Sang in the round robin, and 4) he had not been told there would be a play-off in case of equal w/l. Hard to disagree with him, I think. Not the organizers finest hour.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Why do tournaments need such complicated structure
I don't even know what round robin means

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Why do tournaments need such complicated structure
I don't even know what round robin means
It is also called "pools" or group phase in sports like soccer. Everyone plays everyone else in the group. That's the way the US Nationals and the Verhoeven Open are run at least in the first rounds. It is also the way the preliminaries of the pool world championships are usually run.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Jaspers, Sang Lee, Ceulemans and Sayginer were seeded and played each other 50 - 50.
Non-seeds played each other 40 - 40. Seeds vs non-seeds played 50 - 43.
An exception was made for the non-seeded Caudron, he also played to 50.
Even though 4 players had a 10/3 record, there was only one play-off match, between the nrs. 1 and 2 in average: Sang Lee and Jaspers. Sang Lee won that play-off 50-26 in 24 (23) innings.

Caudron went to 50 playing the seeded players

He had a more than slight advantage against the non-seeded players!

Last edited: