Interesting Carom Game

Gongmyo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wondering if anyone has heard of a game in which the object is to score 3 points (or sometimes 5 for a longer game) in each of five categories of shots: ball to ball, one rail, two rails, three rails, and rail first. Any rail first shot counts only in that category whether or not the cue ball goes on to contact one or more rails before hitting he second object ball. I learned it from a guy who grew up playing it in central Kansas. He said they called it both Train and Chinese Billiards.

seanandnik

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Northeast

Up in Boston I've played it and it was known as "chop suey "
Our version didn't include the rail first shots though

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I saw a version of this being played in the 70s in Paris. I think one of the categories might have been red ball first and another to drive one ball into the other. Cushion-first (bricole, as the French say) was definitely a category.

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the Netherlands, this game is called Abricol. You make a 3+ rail shot, a 2-rail, a 1-rail, a rail-first, a libre shot (everything is allowed, as long as you make the carom), and the toughest one: the abricol, where no ball may touch a rail, during or after the carom is made. The tactic of the game is, to use other shots as a gather, in order to be able to make the "abricol". You can play against one opponent, but It also works well as a fun game for three or four players.