••• i've got a secret •••

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I'VE GOT A SECRET!

I've been fortunate to be around some great cue makers in my life and have even seen a couple of them rise to the very top in their field.
In recent years, I was searching for a cue maker that had special skills and was willing to go on a journey with me to develop a very special kind of cue. I called my buddy Royce Bunnell at OB Cues (who has since passed) and told him of my unique requirements and he said, "I think I know just the guy for you." (And that has been my "secret" for these past few years which I am now sharing with you.)

That was the day that started a journey into designing and building one of the finest performance cues in the world. The cue eventually became known as the Performance Plus cue.

Bob Dzuricky, was the cue maker that Royce had in mind for me, so I did some research on the guy. I hadn't had any experience with him and his name wasn't well known to me but I valued Royce's opinions greatly so I did some background checking on him and quickly came to realize that this was the cue maker for the job. After looking at some of Bob's generous videos that he has on Youtube and other places, I realized that this was a man who had exceptional talent, creativity and a guy who liked a challenge and what a challenge I had in store for him.

Months went by as we collaborated on what I was hoping to accomplish and through it all, Bob never flinched. Bob built DymondWood shaft and cue one after the other. I tested them all using only my personal experience as a player and student of the game. Many efforts resulted in acceptable performance. I pressed on requesting Bob to make additional prototypes that would perform better. Each step along the way, Bob guided me toward my goal. I sometimes wonder how he put up with me but I'm glad he did.

I had purchased a large quantity of DymondWood and then the plant that made the DymondWood burned to the ground. That wood has lasted me for a few years and I am satisfied that we created a cue with excellent performance. I'm not much on glitter and fancy things but I am fastidious when it comes to how a cue performs. In the past, I have been known to purchase a dozen different shafts from all over the world for my famed POW-MIA cue made by Mike Bender from Delta Junction, Alaska just for the quest of finding the best playing shaft available.

The DymondWood dowels are phenolic resin, impregnated hardwood composite. It is an extremely stiff piece of wood and what I was looking for.

What I didn't know is how hard it was to use that wood and still create a cue which would have low deflection properties. But after many trials and testing, I believe we came up with a cue that I believe we are both proud of.

I even tested the LD Performance Plus cue as a break cue, but after strenuous testing, consisting of well over a hundred hours of estimated time in breaking and jumping, I finally was able to make the cue fail. For that reason, we will never build a Performance Plus cue for breaking and I recommend all users of my cue to use it only as a playing cue.

I am very fortunate indeed to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Bob Dzuricky (btw, the "D" is silent) on this project and while I still have a few shaft dowels left in my inventory, my quest is pretty much over.

I so respect Bob for his willingness to help me create these cues.
DymondWood is so difficult to make into LD properties that it is not feasible to build these type of cues on a production basis, so my idea about eventually going to China to build these cues in large quantities never came to pass.

I have only sold about 3 Performance Plus cues per year so my labor of love is pretty limited. Most of the people I have sold these cues to are local people who have seen the performance of the cue before purchasing it. I never attempted to market the cue across the country so the locals have the corner on JoeyA's Performance Plus cues but Bob Dzuricky will always have my deepest appreciation for building one of the finest performing cues in the world.

CUE PEOPLE: Do yourself a big favor and contact Bob to build your finest creation. Check out his videos which share some of the secrets of his unique skills. Bob is also an artist as many of you already know, creating works of art with his magical cameras and lens. Go to his website and get up to speed on what he is all about and I GUARANTEE that you won't be disappointed. Send a Facebook Friend request and you might get lucky too.

THANK YOU Bob Dzuricky! You are the best!

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Next you will say that you have the only Diamond table that banks long. :eek:

Never played with anything made of DymondWood. Maybe it hits a ton.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Fwiw

Please elaborate, how does it perform better
jack

The Performance Plus cue has very low cue ball deflection when using side spin, very stiff and...........hits a ton. lol

If you want to be a stickler for grammar, it will help you perform better at pocket billiards.

JoeyA

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joey are you speaking od the same laminated 'Dymondwood' that R.I.P Bob Renis of 'BobCue' used for making his cues for years ?

Best,

-Kat,

JoeyA

Silver Member
No Kat. These were laminated DymondWood cues that Bob Dzuricky and I created with very low cue ball deflection. We did not use any of Bob Renis's design to the best of our knowledge.

JoeyA

Joey are you speaking od the same laminated 'Dymondwood' that R.I.P Bob Renis of 'BobCue' used for making his cues for years ?

Best,

-Kat,

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Performance Plus cue has very low cue ball deflection when using side spin, very stiff and...........hits a ton. lol

If you want to be a stickler for grammar, it will help you perform better at pocket billiards.

JoeyA

I want that cue that hits a ton....all I need to know

JoeyA

Silver Member
IDK about that ?????????????????????

But using the word SQUIRT instead of cue ball deflection really makes no sense if you know the definition of SQUIRT.:D

JoeyA

Deflection? Can we put an end to this term? It's useless!!!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Squirt, Swerve, Throw

But using the word SQUIRT instead of cue ball deflection really makes no sense if you know the definition of SQUIRT.:D
JoeyA
From Dr. D's website.

squirt, swerve, and throw confusion

What is squirt (CB deflection) and how is it different from swerve (CB curve)?

From the Dr. Dave's online glossary:

squirt (AKA "cue ball deflection"): angular displacement of the cue ball’s path away from the cue stroking direction caused by the use of sidespin.

swerve: curve of the cue ball’s path while sliding due to cue elevation and sidespin.

cue ball deflection: same as "squirt;" also sometimes used to describe the net effect of squirt and swerve (AKA "squerve" or "effective squirt" or "net cue ball deflection").

net cue ball deflection (AKA "squerve" or "effective squirt"): the net effect of "squirt" and "swerve" (i.e., the cue ball deflection off the aiming line at object ball impact).

effective squirt (AKA "squerve"): same as "net cue ball deflection."

Total or net or effective CB deflection is the end result of of both squirt (sometimes also called "deflection") and swerve. Throw also affects some shots (some more than others). A complete summary and demonstration of all squirt, swerve, and throw effects can be found here:

complete summary of all squirt, swerve, and throw effects (with supporting resources)

Squirt depends on the amount of sidespin used and the properties (endmass) of the shaft. Swerve depends on shot speed, shot distance, the amount of sidespin, cue elevation, and ball/cloth conditions. See the effects summary resource page for explanations and demonstrations. Vertical tip position (for draw and follow) also affect squirt and swerve. For more info, see: squirt and swerve draw and follow effects. Again, net CB deflection is a result of the combined effects of squirt and swerve.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

JoeyA

Can Bob (silent) D. built a Dymondwood cue similar to the ones you had made or does he not have the material? That sounds like a cool cue that you have. I sure would like to hit with it.

vacation

Living Good.
Silver Member
Bob doesn't even know it, but he saved me thousands upon thousands of dollars with his YouTube channel.

When I had the bright idea that I'd get get my feet wet in cue making, I'd often watched his videos until I realized I had no business trying to perfect such a skill. Instead, I'll someday invest the money I saved into one of HIS cues instead!

JoeyA

Silver Member
New Orleans............

JoeyA

Can Bob (silent) D. built a Dymondwood cue similar to the ones you had made or does he not have the material? That sounds like a cool cue that you have. I sure would like to hit with it.

JoeyA

Silver Member
Dave has done a lot of great things for pool.

However, finding his definition of squirt in Webster's dictionary might be difficult. I even helped him coin the word "Squerve".:D

I'm good with cue ball deflection, squirt, swerve, squerve, etc.

JoeyA

From Dr. D's website.

squirt, swerve, and throw confusion

What is squirt (CB deflection) and how is it different from swerve (CB curve)?

From the Dr. Dave's online glossary:

squirt (AKA "cue ball deflection"): angular displacement of the cue ball’s path away from the cue stroking direction caused by the use of sidespin.

swerve: curve of the cue ball’s path while sliding due to cue elevation and sidespin.

cue ball deflection: same as "squirt;" also sometimes used to describe the net effect of squirt and swerve (AKA "squerve" or "effective squirt" or "net cue ball deflection").

net cue ball deflection (AKA "squerve" or "effective squirt"): the net effect of "squirt" and "swerve" (i.e., the cue ball deflection off the aiming line at object ball impact).

effective squirt (AKA "squerve"): same as "net cue ball deflection."

Total or net or effective CB deflection is the end result of of both squirt (sometimes also called "deflection") and swerve. Throw also affects some shots (some more than others). A complete summary and demonstration of all squirt, swerve, and throw effects can be found here:

complete summary of all squirt, swerve, and throw effects (with supporting resources)

Squirt depends on the amount of sidespin used and the properties (endmass) of the shaft. Swerve depends on shot speed, shot distance, the amount of sidespin, cue elevation, and ball/cloth conditions. See the effects summary resource page for explanations and demonstrations. Vertical tip position (for draw and follow) also affect squirt and swerve. For more info, see: squirt and swerve draw and follow effects. Again, net CB deflection is a result of the combined effects of squirt and swerve.