9 ball break - which side for which hand?

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when breaking from the rails, which side should you go for if you're right handed? Does it matter?

Is there any benefit to breaking center ?

Also is there any strategy if you want to pocket the two balls behind the one? I play in a handicap tournament sometimes and if I get the handicap I would get either the 7 or 8 and I have to put them behind the 1 as a rule to make it harder to pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So when breaking from the rails, which side should you go for if you're right handed? Does it matter?

Is there any benefit to breaking center ?

Also is there any strategy if you want to pocket the two balls behind the one? I play in a handicap tournament sometimes and if I get the handicap I would get either the 7 or 8 and I have to put them behind the 1 as a rule to make it harder to pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

In 9 ball the balls you can "aim" to pocket are the 1 and the two corner balls. The balls behind the 1 will not have a set pocket you can try to make them in. That break is for 8 ball and 10 ball.

Where to break from depends on the rack and the table. I suggest you get the Racking Secrets video by Joe Tucker. Normally for a right handed person the break spot would be from the left side, but I feel more comfortable breaking from the right myself.

Standard rack vs template rack makes a big difference where you will break from. With a template rack, medium to soft break from the side will pretty much guarantee the wing ball going in if hit head on.

If having to give up balls in a handicap, especially in a tournament, they should not count on the break. I would never play with an extra ball being counted on the break and would fight to keep that extra ball spot be a called shot so you can't win by accidentally making that or the 9. Having the 9 be wild is bad enough in most rules.

donuteric

always a newbie
Silver Member

In theory, right-handed players should break from the left and vice versa for left-handed players. This gives you some rooms to move your body forward.